Used 1993 Volvo 850 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

The Old But Good 850
By Humphrey

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from a person that was holding a garage sale, in Franklin, Tennessee. The car was only 1,000 dollars! The left turn signal cover came off. And, there were a few coffee marks, and there were a lot of pens in the car. When I got home I had to get a car cleaner out of my utility closet, and cleaned for over 1 hour. Then, about five days after I bought the car, I was picking up my son from school. And that's when it happened. A minivan was turning into their house, and I was going straight, and the woman turned and I ran into her. Then, she had the nerve to call the police.

heated seats, tilt/telescoping steering, sunroof, leather seats, pausing radio, power antenna, windshield wipers on headlights, front and rear fog lights, 6 spoke alloy wheels, rear headrests, rear booster seat, driver and passenger lumbar support, power driver seat, memory driver seat

bigger engine, less boxy, better side moldings, spoiler, larger pedals, faster

850 GLT Worth sticking with
By greggy

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

Bought from dealer with 2 priors, plus use as a courtesy car! Went well for 11 mths and then BOOM! Transmission went whilst Volvo dealer HR Owen was servicing. They delivered it back trashed and then offered to put in a new one for twice what i paid. Luckily warranty paid for a recon transmission. Gone well since but is getting more expensive to service each passing year 500 lst year, 700+ this year....I love it to bit- great for long trips and family visits. Will buy volvo again (if wife lets me)

auto transmission

Better bumper trim (fades too soon) Better wheel trim Cheaper spares!

Vivecka the Volvo!
By NAsh

1993 Volvo 850 GLTS 4dr Sedan

My brother and sister drove Volvos as their first cars, and the tradition continued with me. My parents have always been big fans of Volvo since 19 years ago when they bought their first Volvo, an 87 240, which we still have. I was really wanting a 4Runner, but insurance was high and it guzzles gas, so I decided for a Volvo. Now for the car. I love Volvo style, especially the older boxy look. 850s are extremely reliable and enjoyable to drive. They get excellent gas mileage, sometimes even up to 32 on the highway. Volvo maunals are the way to go. Accleration is alright, but plenty of power for a 16 year old. Very roomy. Easy controls, fog lights, heated seats makes the 850 a great choice!

The wipers on the lights do it for me,sad I know. The seats are so comfortable my back smiles when I sit down in my car. Not having the exact civic, celica, or cavalier as every other kid in the high school parking lot. GAS MILEAGE for my parents now that I'm not driving an suv. GET A MANUAL! SAFETY

cup holder like usual. They aren't to bad, however, I'm used to Volvo cup holders. They sometimes get in the way while shifting though with both of them pulled out. Volvo a/c's are weak, but once again I'm used to a weak a/c in a car. Those are both very minor and I really enjoy my car!

Quality sedan
By duke_wa

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

Just bought this model Volvo with approx. 125,000 miles on it. It is in really good shape and has a lot of nice features. Well put together.

Comfortable seats, memory power driver's seat, steering very precise, good ride, good brakes, large trunk, nice stereo, lots of nice features.

Can't put my gloves on the console between the bucket seats, as it might move the power mirror positions.

Nice car, expensive to run
By azak

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

Our 1993 Volvo 850 was in pristine shape at 56,000mi. when we bought it from a private party in 2000. At 85G it still runs and looks great, almost like a late model. The engine burns no oil between changes, ride is serene. It's hardly a performance vehicle but capable enough on both long and short trips. The seats are excellent and the rear seat fold down has been useful for the occasional long cargo. Brakes are excellent Gas mileage has been 18 mpg city, 28 mpg highway. Although driving this car is generally an enjoyable experience, the ride is noticebly harsh on rough roads. Frequency of repair has has been about average but expensive.

No standouts, just good ride and handling, right size for us, good interior layout. Most important, my wife likes it.

Cup holders would be nice.

• SUV