1993 Volvo 850 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 850 model:
I wont drive anything but a volvo.
By Erica on 11/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

This is my third volvo--I started out in a 1988 240, I was speeding and I rolled it---no bodily damage at all-- the car started right away after the tow-truck guy flipped her over. My next one was identical to the first one, saved my life once again in a collision. I am now driving my 850 GLT, we have a problem with the fuel pump relay as soon as we bought the car, and the dealership wouldnt help us at all...after a whole year of sporatic dying on the freeway, she now runs great (now that we figured out what the problem was!).

The 850: Practical, Reliable, Fun
By jakemj8402 on 10/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Volvo 850 GLTS 4dr Sedan

I received the 850 as my first car, my parents thought that Volvo safety was the way to go for me. I'm glad that they did; I love the car its comfortable (Volvo seats are the best!) it can haul anything with its never ending cargo capacity, and even though it has boxy styling, this car has class. Anybody would be happy with an 850, its such a versatile car; just make sure that the previous owner has done all the maintainence. Repairs can be costly as I have heard from other 850 owners, but that is to be expected with any euro car.

One Great Car
By volvo850guy2 on 09/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

I was in College and needed an old car to get through the next two years of low income and a full load of classes. It was risky buying a European import because of their expensive repair history. I took the risk after a thirty minute test drive in a hot red volvo 850 and to this day I am very glad I made the purchase. I had a bad thermostat and corroded wire harness but considering the year and mileage it was just normal wear and tear. It has never left me stranded. Next car is S70

BEST car i ever had
By christopher on 08/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

THIS car is pure quality i had some minor problems but other than that it has excelent handling and awsome AC the exteroior is smooth and sporty looking I LOve it I recomend this car very much

My Life, My Love, My Volvo 850
By Rett's 850 on 06/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 850 GLTS 4dr Sedan

This is without a shaddow of a doubt the best car I have ever owned. I purchased it used two years ago, and have loved every second of owning this car. It does like to get attention when it comes to the maitenence department, but its not an issue when I think about how much I love the car. I'm almost to 150k and haven't had any major problems until a fuel regulator went out the other day, and all my friends kept trying to crank it, and ruined the engine. So, I'm having to replace the engine, oh well, it's worth it to me.

Excellent Car
By kaja on 05/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

9th year, 140,000 mile, never had a problem. Very dependable.

My short experience with Volvo
By rtweis on 04/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for only 2 months. So far the compressor and evaporator have had to be replaced and the car only had 37000 miles. To their credit, the dealership covered these $2500 of repairs under the initial 60 day/3000 mile warranty. If nothing else major goes wrong and I can get about 125,000 more miles on this car, I will be ectatic.

850 GLT A great car for a new driver
By 850 NUT on 03/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

My first car was a 1993 850 GLT with the 5 speed. When my dad woke me up to surprise me with my car for my 18th birthday I was shocked to see this bright red sporty looking Volvo in the driveway. Not knowing much about cars I was just happy with the way it looked and not worried about how fast it went. When I noticed the 5speed I knew it would be awhile before I could even drive the car. Well it took a few trips with my dad around a big partking lot for me to get the feel for the car but I caught on quickly. This car is not as fast as the Turbo models but with the 5speed it feels fast enough. I would recomend this car to all new drivers.