Used 1993 Volvo 850 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Volvo 850 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

Viv was a great car, a terrific value
By Viv

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

We owned the car for 14 years, I drove my son in it when he was 3, he learned to drive in it and got his permit and drove it the last 20,000 miles, very reliable, a real value for what we paid.

solid build held together well, never got sloppy

bad cup holder design, directly over electric window controls. Had electrically problems when new that were ironed out.

Best car owned yet
By mrpyromaniac

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

Bought this from a friend for $1500 as a second car with 162,000 miles on it. It's lasted through 4 other vehicles in the 3 1/2 years I've owned it!! Never throught I would have the car this long, but she is still going with no signs of quit at 200k. Because of this Volvo, my wife and I just purchased another, and they're probably all we will buy from now on. VOLVO FOR LIFE!!!

Doesn't break down. Ever. Safe, comfortable, good gas mileage yet sporty enough to enjoy the drive.

I replaced them all, but the radio and speakers crapped out pretty quickly. Odometer broke at 186,659 miles.

Going for 1 million miles
By volvodave1968

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Volvo in 1999 with 94000 miles on it. It now has 212000 miles on it . You can't beat a Volvo for safety and comfort but you have to keep maintenance up and you can't take a Volvo to just anybody and let them work on it. You also have use 93 premium gasoline. I also have two other Volvos a V70 (99) and a 242 (78). I will write back when I get my million miles!!!

Volvo safety, sporty design, 5 speed, mpg, best seats for comfort and safety, very dependable, also sunroof.

Cup holders.

Overall a great car
By Fireblast133

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

If you're looking for a fancy looking car, this one might not suit you. If you're looking for reliability and performance, you just found it. Quite simply, this is the car that can get you to where you're going safely and efficiently.

Strong build: hard to damage actual frame of car. Heated seating.

Could have looked better on the exterior. Seems to guzzle oil sometimes. Could have used a 4wd switch to get out of snow easier.

godd qulity, safe car
By Eric

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

got this car in 2000 with just under 100,000 miles on it and now has just under 200,000, engine runs perfectly, has never burned any oil, catalytic converter got plugged up and car overheated burning out the ignition coil but was a cheap fix,no major problems or fixes other than that, car is extremely safe, hit a garage at 30 mph and the garage was pushed back a foot off the foundation without a single scratch or dent to the front of the car, also rear ended a semi truck and ended up with only a small crack in the front bumper but that was it and then about a year ago was trapped in the middle of a pileup and was rear ended and hit the car in front of me and there was no physical or mechanical damage.

the sport mode on the transmission...cars rpms rev a lot higher and it has some pretty quick pick up..the seats are extremely comfortable and theres a lot of room in the back to comfortably seat 3 adults..quality sound system..feel extremely safe in car at high speeds. no major problems..still runs great

cup holders definitely...better positioning of side mirror controls and window controls...car gets stuck in winter mode and starts off in 3rd gear and is a pain but i learned if you just turn it off and turn it back on it generally goes away, other than that its a great car