Used 1993 Volvo 850 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

good car
By Mike77270

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

I bought my car from a guy in Everett, used 168k, drove it home kept surging or cutting out turns out the intake tube was really warn and duct taped, it leaked and the air made the car run funny. Later found out the pass cv was bad, pass side motor mount broken, heater core bypassed.... Well after driving it for a while I think its worth fixing everything, even with a salvage title :) I noticed how a lot of people have been sayin the interior rattles, so did mine, come to find out my passenger side motor mount was bad when I got it, cv is going out and the belt squeals once and a while cause it chewed threw the rubber mount, still driving! All the newer model buttons plug and clip in

Favorite Features

tilt up sun roof, heated seats 1998 model factory cd deck :) no more tape deck, all speakes sound better

Suggested Improvements

cup holders as usual, plastic intake tube should be more durable, wouldn't run if cracked, could have been the motor lean from the mount

Solid standout in vanilla field
By MAL

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

Bought car from 1 owner and loved the feel right away... It's a solid car that will protect you as per most Volvo ads... The body has held up very well.. For service always take it to a Volvo mechanic, if not a dealer... Bought it for kids to drive and now I drive it.. Timing belt was costly and parts are pricey so try ebay first...

Favorite Features

Seats are the most comfortable and lumbar perfect I have ever sat in.. Very roomy for 5 adults... Volvos are easy to spot in a crowd of vanilla sedans and if that's important, then this is your car..

Suggested Improvements

What were they thinking on the cup holders?...

Good Car!
By Rik

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

We bought this car while on a trip because it was cheaper than a rental car. We drove it on vacation, then drove it 1400 miles home. A mechanical inspection showed that we had warped rotors, but that was it. We have put an additional 60000 miles on the car and it is still the most comfortable traveling car we own. Purchase price was $1100 US, all repairs in almost 4 years is about $1200 US. It will be difficult to let this car go, and it will never die.

Favorite Features

Dependability, comfort, nice quiet ride.

Suggested Improvements

Those cup holders in the arm rest are almost useless. The rear seat armrest can get stuck in the trunk area. There should be a bracket to prevent the armrest from going past flush.

"Volvo For Life." 'Nuff said.
By Theodore

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

When I purchased my Volvo, it had at least 191,000 miles. I say at least because that's where the odometer stopped. At first, the car would stall on occasion but I cleaned out the air intake manifold and it has never had a problem since. As a matter of fact, I just recently took this car from Atlanta to New York City to San Angelo, Texas and back to Atlanta with no problems whatsoever. None. As a result of my experience with this Volvo, I am vowing to drive nothing but Volvos from here on out.

Favorite Features

The fact that it has the durability of a cockroach.

Suggested Improvements

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I have nothing.

Volvo: Spoiled For Life!
By Billy

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

I have had a lot of used vehicles, but never one like this. I was shopping around and the used dealer asked me to look at the '93 Volvo 805 GLT. I am so glad that I did. It has been my best pre-owned car to date and just keeps going. I plan to keep this for many years to come, but also cannot wait to own another Volvo, unless Volvo's relationship with (now) Ford affiliation deteriates it. God knows I am not a Ford fan at all. Other than that I am a Volvo for Lifer, or as I say - Spoiled For Life! In addition it is positively the safest car I've ever owned. I accidently backed into a huge light pole. The pole budged but only a scratch on my bumper and no movement to the bumper at all!

Favorite Features

The sports shift mode, easy access to spark plugs and wires for fast tune ups, 3 memory positions on the driver's seat, intigrated child booster seat, killer factory sound system, dual rear fold down seating and front passenger seat folds down for long haul items such as skis & so much more!

Suggested Improvements

All this great design, but not a single cup holder in the '93 model - go figure! If you do your own mainetnance expect lots and lots of torx head screws, but it's built solid!