1993 Volvo 850 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 850 model:
Viv was a great car, a terrific value
By Viv on 12/13/07 14:54 PM (PST)

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

We owned the car for 14 years, I drove my son in it when he was 3, he learned to drive in it and got his permit and drove it the last 20,000 miles, very reliable, a real value for what we paid.

Best car owned yet
By mrpyromaniac on 06/14/07 21:59 PM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

Bought this from a friend for $1500 as a second car with 162,000 miles on it. It's lasted through 4 other vehicles in the 3 1/2 years I've owned it!! Never throught I would have the car this long, but she is still going with no signs of quit at 200k. Because of this Volvo, my wife and I just purchased another, and they're probably all we will buy from now on. VOLVO FOR LIFE!!!

Going for 1 million miles
By volvodave1968 on 06/07/07 07:52 AM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Volvo in 1999 with 94000 miles on it. It now has 212000 miles on it . You can't beat a Volvo for safety and comfort but you have to keep maintenance up and you can't take a Volvo to just anybody and let them work on it. You also have use 93 premium gasoline. I also have two other Volvos a V70 (99) and a 242 (78). I will write back when I get my million miles!!!

Overall a great car
By Fireblast133 on 04/03/07 22:31 PM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

If you're looking for a fancy looking car, this one might not suit you. If you're looking for reliability and performance, you just found it. Quite simply, this is the car that can get you to where you're going safely and efficiently.

godd qulity, safe car
By Eric on 03/27/07 15:50 PM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

got this car in 2000 with just under 100,000 miles on it and now has just under 200,000, engine runs perfectly, has never burned any oil, catalytic converter got plugged up and car overheated burning out the ignition coil but was a cheap fix,no major problems or fixes other than that, car is extremely safe, hit a garage at 30 mph and the garage was pushed back a foot off the foundation without a single scratch or dent to the front of the car, also rear ended a semi truck and ended up with only a small crack in the front bumper but that was it and then about a year ago was trapped in the middle of a pileup and was rear ended and hit the car in front of me and there was no physical or mechanical damage.

The Old But Good 850
By Humphrey on 03/21/07 10:53 AM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from a person that was holding a garage sale, in Franklin, Tennessee. The car was only 1,000 dollars! The left turn signal cover came off. And, there were a few coffee marks, and there were a lot of pens in the car. When I got home I had to get a car cleaner out of my utility closet, and cleaned for over 1 hour. Then, about five days after I bought the car, I was picking up my son from school. And that's when it happened. A minivan was turning into their house, and I was going straight, and the woman turned and I ran into her. Then, she had the nerve to call the police.

850 GLT Worth sticking with
By greggy on 08/02/06 15:07 PM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

Bought from dealer with 2 priors, plus use as a courtesy car! Went well for 11 mths and then BOOM! Transmission went whilst Volvo dealer HR Owen was servicing. They delivered it back trashed and then offered to put in a new one for twice what i paid. Luckily warranty paid for a recon transmission. Gone well since but is getting more expensive to service each passing year £500 lst year, £700+ this year....I love it to bit- great for long trips and family visits. Will buy volvo again (if wife lets me)

Vivecka the Volvo!
By NAsh on 06/02/06 13:40 PM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 850 GLTS 4dr Sedan

My brother and sister drove Volvos as their first cars, and the tradition continued with me. My parents have always been big fans of Volvo since 19 years ago when they bought their first Volvo, an 87 240, which we still have. I was really wanting a 4Runner, but insurance was high and it guzzles gas, so I decided for a Volvo. Now for the car. I love Volvo style, especially the older boxy look. 850s are extremely reliable and enjoyable to drive. They get excellent gas mileage, sometimes even up to 32 on the highway. Volvo maunals are the way to go. Accleration is alright, but plenty of power for a 16 year old. Very roomy. Easy controls, fog lights, heated seats makes the 850 a great choice!

Quality sedan
By duke_wa on 12/23/05 23:44 PM (PST)

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

Just bought this model Volvo with approx. 125,000 miles on it. It is in really good shape and has a lot of nice features. Well put together.

Nice car, expensive to run
By azak on 10/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

Our 1993 Volvo 850 was in pristine shape at 56,000mi. when we bought it from a private party in 2000. At 85G it still runs and looks great, almost like a late model. The engine burns no oil between changes, ride is serene. It's hardly a performance vehicle but capable enough on both long and short trips. The seats are excellent and the rear seat fold down has been useful for the occasional long cargo. Brakes are excellent Gas mileage has been 18 mpg city, 28 mpg highway. Although driving this car is generally an enjoyable experience, the ride is noticebly harsh on rough roads. Frequency of repair has has been about average but expensive.