Used 1993 Volvo 850 GLT Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

85 GLS
By tlewis333

1993 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

i bought the car super cheap and put a chunk of money in it immediately to be assured that it was good for the long haul. Water pump and timing belt were done along with a host of things that 19 years and 138,000 miles could cause. So far, 2 months and 3,000 miles later, it is still humming along and a great city/ touring car. i hope to update the report in a year with more of the same.

Favorite Features

reliability and character

Suggested Improvements

handling - i may work on this in time

300,000 KMs and still a great ride!
By JT from Canada

1993 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

My 850GLT is the 6th car I have owned, and by far the best. I've been driving it for 13 years, and it has never let me down. The body is impeccable, having no rust whatsoever. Find a good Volvo mechanic who doesn't over charge for repairs, and you've got it made with this car. No unusual repairs required, only routine maintenance, with a new timing belt being a bit pricey. Overall, cheap to run.

Favorite Features

The heated seats are a great luxury when it's cold outside.

Suggested Improvements

A few more hp under the hood would be nice, otherwise this vehicle is perfect.

850 Enigma
By duke_wa

1993 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

This car is one of the best values we've ever purchased in a used car. However, after almost 5 years of ownership, I must say that it is bittersweet. The maintenance costs are astronomical! I would estimate over $2,000 per year in maintenance and repairs. It is built like a tank and has the most comfortable seats I have ever experienced. On the highway, we get 27 mpg! (imperial gallon!)

Favorite Features

Engine, handling, steering, seats, memory driver's seat, highway performance.

Suggested Improvements

Too many idiot lights on dash, something is always going off. Improve quality of parts (eg. brake calipers, A/C, fuel pump). Maintenance is too expensive.

Volvo: My pup pup
By Jesus

1993 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

I have to start saying that i have driven many cars some were pretty bad uncomfortable, but this Volvo has been with me for a couple of months it is SO reliable tough, and still feel like it has the power when it first came out. Fun to drive and very comfortable in the inside, all my friends love being driven in it. i wish Volvo can continue making cars as just like this one. only thing i can complain is some parts are a little expensive depending what it is, i would only take it to a mechanic that my step dad knows for years ASE certified, wont trust any mechanic to fix it its like a baby after all these years now just got to fix my A/C and some minor interior damages. BEST CAR! hands down.

Favorite Features

putting the Volvo on sport and having the acceleration pick up, real smooth handling rides great, seats feel like clouds, exterior looks great. Seat warmer's!

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, better speakers, bumper trim fades, A/C could be stronger. Pfft better yet there really nothing you can say FOR a 93' its great.

Great Car
By Victory98

1993 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT 4dr Sedan

If you take care of them they take care of you. No real issues over 12 year and 160K miles. Change the timing belt, change the oil, if this was done the car will get an easy 200K.