1993 Volvo 850 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 850 model:
85 GLS
By tlewis333 on 04/17/12 15:14 PM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

i bought the car super cheap and put a chunk of money in it immediately to be assured that it was good for the long haul. Water pump and timing belt were done along with a host of things that 19 years and 138,000 miles could cause. So far, 2 months and 3,000 miles later, it is still humming along and a great city/ touring car. i hope to update the report in a year with more of the same.

300,000 KMs and still a great ride!
By JT from Canada on 11/14/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

My 850GLT is the 6th car I have owned, and by far the best. I've been driving it for 13 years, and it has never let me down. The body is impeccable, having no rust whatsoever. Find a good Volvo mechanic who doesn't over charge for repairs, and you've got it made with this car. No unusual repairs required, only routine maintenance, with a new timing belt being a bit pricey. Overall, cheap to run.

850 Enigma
By duke_wa on 09/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

This car is one of the best values we've ever purchased in a used car. However, after almost 5 years of ownership, I must say that it is bittersweet. The maintenance costs are astronomical! I would estimate over $2,000 per year in maintenance and repairs. It is built like a tank and has the most comfortable seats I have ever experienced. On the highway, we get 27 mpg! (imperial gallon!)

Volvo: My pup pup
By Jesus on 06/28/10 19:12 PM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

I have to start saying that i have driven many cars some were pretty bad uncomfortable, but this Volvo has been with me for a couple of months it is SO reliable tough, and still feel like it has the power when it first came out. Fun to drive and very comfortable in the inside, all my friends love being driven in it. i wish Volvo can continue making cars as just like this one. only thing i can complain is some parts are a little expensive depending what it is, i would only take it to a mechanic that my step dad knows for years ASE certified, wont trust any mechanic to fix it its like a baby after all these years now just got to fix my A/C and some minor interior damages. BEST CAR! hands down.

Great Car
By Victory98 on 06/16/10 18:35 PM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

If you take care of them they take care of you. No real issues over 12 year and 160K miles. Change the timing belt, change the oil, if this was done the car will get an easy 200K.

good car
By Mike77270 on 08/11/09 00:10 AM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

I bought my car from a guy in Everett, used 168k, drove it home kept surging or cutting out turns out the intake tube was really warn and duct taped, it leaked and the air made the car run funny. Later found out the pass cv was bad, pass side motor mount broken, heater core bypassed.... Well after driving it for a while I think its worth fixing everything, even with a salvage title :) I noticed how a lot of people have been sayin the interior rattles, so did mine, come to find out my passenger side motor mount was bad when I got it, cv is going out and the belt squeals once and a while cause it chewed threw the rubber mount, still driving! All the newer model buttons plug and clip in

Solid standout in vanilla field
By MAL on 03/27/09 00:56 AM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

Bought car from 1 owner and loved the feel right away... It's a solid car that will protect you as per most Volvo ads... The body has held up very well.. For service always take it to a Volvo mechanic, if not a dealer... Bought it for kids to drive and now I drive it.. Timing belt was costly and parts are pricey so try ebay first...

Good Car!
By Rik on 01/16/09 19:17 PM (PST)

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

We bought this car while on a trip because it was cheaper than a rental car. We drove it on vacation, then drove it 1400 miles home. A mechanical inspection showed that we had warped rotors, but that was it. We have put an additional 60000 miles on the car and it is still the most comfortable traveling car we own. Purchase price was $1100 US, all repairs in almost 4 years is about $1200 US. It will be difficult to let this car go, and it will never die.

"Volvo For Life." 'Nuff said.
By Theodore on 08/06/08 10:20 AM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

When I purchased my Volvo, it had at least 191,000 miles. I say at least because that's where the odometer stopped. At first, the car would stall on occasion but I cleaned out the air intake manifold and it has never had a problem since. As a matter of fact, I just recently took this car from Atlanta to New York City to San Angelo, Texas and back to Atlanta with no problems whatsoever. None. As a result of my experience with this Volvo, I am vowing to drive nothing but Volvos from here on out.

Volvo: Spoiled For Life!
By Billy on 06/18/08 01:03 AM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Sedan

I have had a lot of used vehicles, but never one like this. I was shopping around and the used dealer asked me to look at the '93 Volvo 805 GLT. I am so glad that I did. It has been my best pre-owned car to date and just keeps going. I plan to keep this for many years to come, but also cannot wait to own another Volvo, unless Volvo's relationship with (now) Ford affiliation deteriates it. God knows I am not a Ford fan at all. Other than that I am a Volvo for Lifer, or as I say - Spoiled For Life! In addition it is positively the safest car I've ever owned. I accidently backed into a huge light pole. The pole budged but only a scratch on my bumper and no movement to the bumper at all!