Used 1990 Volvo 760 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 760 model:

1987 Volvo 760 Turbo 4 Speed Auto Transmission
By mec12

1990 Volvo 760 GLE Turbo 4dr Sedan

As of 11/13/2014 the car has 188,600 miles. Car has original engine, original turbo, original transmission. Great, reliable car. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this car to anyone.

Great first car, minor issues
By jacksonreese

1990 Volvo 760 GLE Turbo 4dr Sedan

I got my 760 about 2 months ago form a guy who took absolutly NO care of it. Its really a shame because it looks like all the damage thats been done to it has been his doing. The car drove right off the bat even though it had some moderate issues. The car has classic style. Alot of my friends tease it and call it a beater but im proud that its a volvo and its my car. THIS IS ONE DURABLE SEDAN. Whatever the guy before me put it thriugh he went to hell and back and for the price i payed ($400) its running like a champ. then engine and transmission are great. i plan to restore this car fullly and have it for awhile.

Favorite Features

the interior is comphy as all hell. you sit in it and you feel like your in a recliner. For being 21 years old the car is in amazing shape, especially considering what the pervious owner put it through. He never repaired anything and just drove with all the bad things and there still holding. Like i said this is my first car and i just love it. And i plan on keeping it a very long time. The car has 250,000 + miles and the tranny still runs great. That in itself is incredible.

Suggested Improvements

heres some of the things that are wrong with it. The back end seems to droop a little. The trunk door dosent stay up, now im not sure if this is just how it is or somthing i need to fix. The engine has a bad lifter and seems to knock when its running. The timing is way off. The driver door hande had been disliged and is dangling (easly fixable) The engine also seems to be leaking oil from a unknown point. The back left wheel was completely jammed to the axel and we had to cut off the bolts to get in to bleed the brakes, as we got deeper we realized it needs new wheel bearings. most of this is at fault of the prev owner not the car.

Great car
By Chet

1990 Volvo 760 GLE Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in April of 08. I've had a few small issues with the vehicle but nothing that is not to hard to fix IE; the radiator and lower hose. I also put in new spark plugs (E 3 diamond) and got the best fuel mileage (430) to a full tank of regular gas with the added help of 104 max octane booster.

Favorite Features

The comfortable seats, room for long legs and ergonomic feel.

Suggested Improvements

The lack of warning when something like the head gasket is going.

Longlasting if you don't get a lemon
By compassstl

1990 Volvo 760 GLE Turbo 4dr Wagon

I bought this car with over 130,000 miles on it, and seemed like a great deal: no rust, interior immaculate, engine bay spotless, and low miles for a volvo, especially a wagon. It's been a great car, fun to drive when you get into the turbo's powerband, and I feel safe in it, and I can haul all my friends and our stuff but only when it isn't in the shop. I, unfortunately, bought something of a lemon, with electrical issues all engine related, and am on my third mass air flow sensor/air mass meter since I got the car (yay for parts warranties!) She's reliable, when she wants to be. She burns a little oil mostly due to the turbo. Overall, great. Fun, fast, and can carry everything and mor

Favorite Features

Room! The heated seats, superb ergonomics, renowned Volvo-comfortable seats, clever features like the lockable (and not) storage compartments under the floor, and the overall clean appearance style-wise

Suggested Improvements

Others suggested an oil pump for the turbo - great idea! If I could improve anything, it would be the maintanence costs: if you can't find it used & working, you have to go to a dealership, where they'll throw out 4- digit price tags for parts & labor without blinking. Gas mileage could be improved.

One of the best cars ever built
By KRoll

1990 Volvo 760 GLE Turbo 4dr Wagon

I have the 1987 760 wagon - same as the 1990. For being 20 years old, this car drives great. Gear change is a little rough, gas mileage could be better, and some small electronics need to be replaced, but in all honesty none of that matters. It's possibly one of the safest cars ever built - even without airbags, the paint is literally impossible to rust off, it has almost 200,000 miles, yet still goes 0-60 in 8 seconds thanks to the turbo - which is awesome. The seats are super comfortable, and has all the conveniences of a modern car - power everything, heated everything, awesome stereo for being only 4 speakers - i could go on. if you get a chance to buy a 700 series volvo - do it.

Favorite Features

heated/power mirrors, power windows and moonroof, huge cargo space, super sturdy, easy to work on, the paint is amazing, stereo has an equalizer, turbo engine, easy to park for its size, brakes are excellent, turns on a dime, very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage is bad, gear changes are rough, the ride is rather bumpy & noisy, steering is odd (sometimes it's loose, sometimes it's responsive) parts can be expensive if forced to buy new, noisy when idling/ going under 10 MPH.