1991 Volvo 740 Consumer Review: Utterly reliable

1991 Volvo 740 - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (2.3L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic)

Utterly reliable
By Ash on

1991 Volvo 740 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 199,000 miles on it in July 2004 and only recently sold it to a friend with 216,000 miles on it. I love the fact that she was built for highway cruising. I thought it was bizzare that she gave 16 mpg in the city and 35 mpg on the highway. But I never felt the stress of driving on 8-10 hour trips. She has been utterly reliable, and the only thing I did for her during her 2.5 years with me was change the rotors and pads, and get the alternator fixed. (Both of these are maintenance items that need repair/replacement every 6-7 yrs when well maintained.) Her original automatic trans was rock solid. Everything worked as it should.

Pretty much everything on this was good. Decent looking, utterly safe, utterly reliable, comfortable. Little things are taken care of: lights on doors that swing open, central locking locks the trunk, etc. Also very nice: roomy hood compartment, very easy to work on. Even better to learn on.

None really. The only weak points on volvos are usually cosmetic: the eco-friendly glues that hold up the headliner typically goes bad and falls after its 10 yrs old. Thats fixed now.