1991 Volvo 740 Consumer Review: Surprisingly good!

1991 Volvo 740 - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (2.3L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic)

Surprisingly good!
By Josh on

1991 Volvo 740 4dr Sedan

I've always had Hondas but after having a heater core problem on my last Accord (along with a few other costly repairs) I had to sell it because I just didn't have the money to fix it. While in the market for a car, I looked everywhere for another Honda, but had no luck. Then, I stumbled upon an ad for this car. I thought, well, it's not great looking, but it's cheap and it's transportation. I've had it for almost 7 months now and I only had to replace a PCV valve and clean out the intake. $80-no big deal. Ever since then, it's never stalled or broken down. I never knew Volvos were that reliable! I was pleasantly surprised!

Reliability and comfortable seating. Plus, the light in the center console and low lit light in the rear floor area is pretty nice!

Where are the cup holders? Also, why no lever for reclining the seat? Who thought a knob was a good idea? It take 3 hours just to recline the seat..
By volvolover3
on 01/12/11 12:26 PM (PST)

I want to comment on my 1991 Volvo Wagon. We bought it in 1991 when stationed in Germany and picked it up in Sweeden right off the assembly line. I have never owned an American made vehicle that even lasted 6 yrs without falling apart. My Volvo only has 170,000 miles and I take care of it like it's my child. If you do this it will last forever. My husband has had 3 vehicles - Hondas and a Toyota - in the time I've had my Volvo. Nothing wrong with either one - we had a Civic LX for 12 yrs - perfect condition - gave it to our son. Had a Tundra and then traded it in for the current Honda Pilot. No complaints. I replaced parts as needed and service it twice a year. I do not EVER bring it to a Volve dealer anymore because my car seems to come out of service with more things wrong than when it went it so that I will buy a new Volvo. Never! I had a wonderful Volvo ONLY service center in San Jose/Campbell CA - Sweedish Volvo - if you are in that area - please go see them - you will never find anyone to take care of your car better than them. Tell them Lori who moved to TN sent you. Now I am hoping to find the same service here in TN. The only downfall is that these cars are made for full out driving on the Autobahns and when you don't they seem to loose there umph. We just drove it again from CA to TN - and she performed like a gem on the open road. Now, she is good until the next blowout on an open road.