My quirky little brick...
By Bricklover on
1991 Volvo 740 SE Turbo 4dr Sedan
I was given this car in 2002 when it died on the side of a rural GA highway. Turns out the ground wire to the main fuel pump had a bad terminal connection. After about 30 minutes and 10 cents invested, I had a smooth running little Volvo. This car became my wife's (girlfriend at the time) college commuter car. Now it's my daily driver. I love this car. I can take V8 muscle or imports from a standing start to about 80 mph. Beyond that, the 740 is mortal. It's comfy and very safe, and a tad sexy too. My only complaints are the quirky electronics. I can't really complain though for a 15 year old car. Advice to tinkerers: if it ain't broke, leave it be. Volvos will drive you crazy.
Favorite Features
Comfy, roomy, safe, dependable, fast! The trunk is cavernous. The moonroof is sweet. Good paint. Insanely solid chasis and suspension. Awesome factory turbo+ kit. Great brakes. Quiet. Solid tranny. Handles like a go-kart.
Suggested Improvements
Include a copy of "Psychology of the Swedish Engineer" with every used Volvo so that we practical Americans can understand these cars. The wiring is especially befuddling. I think that if you use good gas and change the oil, these old 740's will go forever. Tinker at your own peril.