Used 1991 Volvo 740 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 740 model:

Great Old Volvo - Still Great
By Carol A. Pasquini

1991 Volvo 740 4dr Sedan

I drove this car for 15 years and put 245,000 miles on it. It was still going strong, but I succumbed to a red Audi convertible. I had a bit of front end work (rack), and other general work done, but the engine, body, and upholstery (leather) were still fine. My new car is great, but I doubt it will be as fine a car in general as my "trusty" Volvo. I probably could have gotten another five years out of it. Too late now. (1991 740)

Favorite Features

Mostly everything.

Suggested Improvements

Needed a better pick up - maybe more horsepower for such a heavy car. Used the plain, reliable Volvo four cylinder engine.

My quirky little brick...
By Bricklover

1991 Volvo 740 SE Turbo 4dr Sedan

I was given this car in 2002 when it died on the side of a rural GA highway. Turns out the ground wire to the main fuel pump had a bad terminal connection. After about 30 minutes and 10 cents invested, I had a smooth running little Volvo. This car became my wife's (girlfriend at the time) college commuter car. Now it's my daily driver. I love this car. I can take V8 muscle or imports from a standing start to about 80 mph. Beyond that, the 740 is mortal. It's comfy and very safe, and a tad sexy too. My only complaints are the quirky electronics. I can't really complain though for a 15 year old car. Advice to tinkerers: if it ain't broke, leave it be. Volvos will drive you crazy.

Favorite Features

Comfy, roomy, safe, dependable, fast! The trunk is cavernous. The moonroof is sweet. Good paint. Insanely solid chasis and suspension. Awesome factory turbo+ kit. Great brakes. Quiet. Solid tranny. Handles like a go-kart.

Suggested Improvements

Include a copy of "Psychology of the Swedish Engineer" with every used Volvo so that we practical Americans can understand these cars. The wiring is especially befuddling. I think that if you use good gas and change the oil, these old 740's will go forever. Tinker at your own peril.

Best car I ever owned
By Dr know

1991 Volvo 740 Turbo 4dr Wagon

Now I understand why volvo holds the world record for the most miles in history. My car has 181,000 miles on it and runs like new.Its fast comfortable and its alot of fun beating sports cars with a station wagon. I bought the car because my escort died on me on short notice i needed somthing cheap that was safe for the baby reliable and didn't use too much gas.I got what i wanted and more. its also fast and fun to drive.an elderly man who collected volvos needed to clear his yard due to code violations.he was selling it for $900 i bought it for $600 sure it needs paint and seat covers its 15 yrs old but wow the car is solid as a rock.fast, economic, safe, and ,reliable I see why he loves volvos.

Favorite Features

the turbo,the overdrive button, the huge stroller space,the silence when the door is closed.the name volvo that makes me feel safe and secure.

Suggested Improvements

it's hard to say.well even though the car is 15 years old i guess stronger leather to survive the strong Miami sun would be good.

I loved my brick
By sgtsalamander

1991 Volvo 740 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I'm Canadian, so you'll have to excuse the metric measurements. I purchased the car at 316000km and drove it to a little over 400000. The only reason I sold it was that I was moving and my fiancee and I didn't need 2 cars. Even with high miles, these cars have great bodies and perform amazingly. I'd buy another in a second.

Favorite Features

Heated seats and that peppy turbo. Those seats are godly in the winter. I don't care what people say about turbo lag. When you feel it kick in and throw the car forward, the adrenaline pumps.

Suggested Improvements

Put more intermittent wiper settings. That's really all I can think of. I was super impressed with all the interior and exterior features. They are also pretty easy to work on under the hood.

it's a champ
By frowdie

1991 Volvo 740 4dr Wagon

This car has been a reliable, low maintenance vehicle for our family. It has great dependability and is very safe. Also fun to drive!

Favorite Features

The engine and interior space are my favorite qualities.

Suggested Improvements

This car needs cupholders! I think tht is the #1 problem with the car, other wise it is a great auto!