Used 1991 Volvo 740 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Volvo 740 - Consumer Reviews

1991 Volvo 740

View reviews for a specific 740 model:

Neglected as can be but was a great car
By borncarnut

1991 Volvo 740 Turbo 4dr Wagon

This was my fourth Volvo an my first outside the 200 series, I bought it for only 900 and very neglected so I expected a lot of issues, especially at 364,000 miles. I replaced a blown turbo an tires as well as the normal Volvo tie rods, beyond that this was a fantastic car always suprisingly fast always got me where I needed to go up until almost 500,000 miles when I had an oil leak I didn't notice until too late. Was one of the most exciting cars I ever had the pleasure of owning

Favorite Features

turbo power, surprising acceleration for such a big car,great archaic handling, sleeper fun

Suggested Improvements

not around anymore, though REAL cup holders would have been a big plus. though no volvo is built like it anymore

almost 20 years
By volvo lover

1991 Volvo 740 4dr Sedan

i have 330,000 miles runs great has the rare 740SE emblem on trunk is still a beautiful blue/green metallic

Favorite Features

distinct design not a copy cat

Great Car
By Long Time Owner

1991 Volvo 740 4dr Sedan

This is the best car I have ever owned. I bought it in 2001 with just under 100k miles. It now has over 217k miles. I was getting 30mpg until my tailpipe fell off. It had rusted through due to my inattention. I now get 23-25mpg. The only problem I have encountered was electrical. The car would stall for no apparent reason. We thought maybe it was the fuel pumps. We replaced both fuel pumps and it would still stall. We found out the wiring had gone bad. This was in 2007. The mechanic replaced most of the wiring and also the starter and alternator. Now it runs as good or better than when I bought it. It was well maintained when I bought it and I keep it up as well. I hope to get to 400k miles.

Favorite Features

Heated Seats, (it snows 7 months here) Spacious seating and trunk space Metal Frame none of the fiberglass junk Reliability Mileage is decent if you maintain your car.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement this car needs is Cup Holders. I put my drinks in the middle console, which is ok for me, but my wife has to hold hers in her lap.

Volvo 740 for life
By Dr. Bob

1991 Volvo 740 4dr Sedan

Owned this 2nd 740 after the wonderful rock solid first one I put 160,000 on. Should have kept it. Now this new one has 150,000 and I will put another 150,000 on it with no major problems. I am not easy on any car, including this one. Top speed 112 and no leaks or oil use. My daughter will put 20,000 on it at medical school and give it back after a good thrashing. She will always make it home to dear old dad. I went from Mercedes to volvo for the new car for the wife, but this 740 is my baby. I'm going to be in the record books with a cool 500,000 miles with out a tear down. Love the ski door in the trunk. Next trip is 4500 miles, oil change at 5000 is OK and lots love. Regards, Dr. Bob

Favorite Features

Low maintenance, great motor, very roomy and comfortable, great seat warmers in seats, tight turning radius, The best steel & rust proofing in the industry and most of all... very dependable... Honda accord can not compare to this beast. I'm sold all over again !

Suggested Improvements

Make an El Camino with this model...Pimp my ride with a smile

fantastic find!!!!
By Jeremy

1991 Volvo 740 4dr Sedan

Since the purchase of my Volvo, I have had almost no problems. It has been a wonderful experience. It does very good in the snow and ice. After a long line of cars that decided if they wanted to run or not, depending on the day, it's Nice to have something I can count on. Even though it's 18 years old!

Favorite Features

heated seats, storage, big trunk. great gas mileage for such an affordable car!!!

Suggested Improvements

I guess it doesn't get real hot in Sweden, at least the air conditioner doesn't think so..... (they are much better with the heat....)