Used 1991 Volvo 740 Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Volvo 740 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 740 model:

Best car you will ever have
By Lynn

1991 Volvo 740 SE Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new, and now my college age daughter uses it when home. I now have a 2006 V70 but I still love the 740. Has had very few problems, has 175K miles and most parts are original. Will have to replace heater core, but most reliable car I have ever owned. I will probably be buried in it if I can ever pry it out of my kid's hand.

Very fast (turbo) incredible turning radius, comfortable super tank. Handles very well and there will never be another car like it.

Plastic cup holders needed.

WOW
By 740arany

1991 Volvo 740 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I've been a volvo fan ever since I got my friends 850turbo's 0-60 down to 4.2. I found my volvo in a used car lot, $1000. It looks like a piece if junk, it was in an accident. But it funny as hell watching people drop their jaws when they can't keep up. My car wasn't maintained at all, its rough around the edges I had to redo the wiring because some jackass thought making the windows go down when u turn on the radio was funny. Or making the lights work only when i hold the up window button... you get the point, someone abused my baby.

the automatic transmissions 1/2/d, good for acceleration in races, nothing else really works n my car.

CUP HOLDERS, I ALWAYS WISH i HAD CUP HOLDERS.... also, they shoulda used a straight 5 from the fwd volvos, and the turbo should perhaps been 12psi stock, every1 knocks it up to 12 or higher...

Neglected as can be but was a great car
By borncarnut

1991 Volvo 740 Turbo 4dr Wagon

This was my fourth Volvo an my first outside the 200 series, I bought it for only 900 and very neglected so I expected a lot of issues, especially at 364,000 miles. I replaced a blown turbo an tires as well as the normal Volvo tie rods, beyond that this was a fantastic car always suprisingly fast always got me where I needed to go up until almost 500,000 miles when I had an oil leak I didn't notice until too late. Was one of the most exciting cars I ever had the pleasure of owning

turbo power, surprising acceleration for such a big car,great archaic handling, sleeper fun

not around anymore, though REAL cup holders would have been a big plus. though no volvo is built like it anymore

almost 20 years
By volvo lover

1991 Volvo 740 4dr Sedan

i have 330,000 miles runs great has the rare 740SE emblem on trunk is still a beautiful blue/green metallic

distinct design not a copy cat

Great Car
By Long Time Owner

1991 Volvo 740 4dr Sedan

This is the best car I have ever owned. I bought it in 2001 with just under 100k miles. It now has over 217k miles. I was getting 30mpg until my tailpipe fell off. It had rusted through due to my inattention. I now get 23-25mpg. The only problem I have encountered was electrical. The car would stall for no apparent reason. We thought maybe it was the fuel pumps. We replaced both fuel pumps and it would still stall. We found out the wiring had gone bad. This was in 2007. The mechanic replaced most of the wiring and also the starter and alternator. Now it runs as good or better than when I bought it. It was well maintained when I bought it and I keep it up as well. I hope to get to 400k miles.

Heated Seats, (it snows 7 months here) Spacious seating and trunk space Metal Frame none of the fiberglass junk Reliability Mileage is decent if you maintain your car.

The only improvement this car needs is Cup Holders. I put my drinks in the middle console, which is ok for me, but my wife has to hold hers in her lap.