1991 Volvo 740 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 740 model:
Neglected 740 Turbo Wagon still reliable
By CARL JOSEPH on 05/02/08 22:53 PM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 740 Turbo 4dr Wagon

I wanted a Volvo 740 Turbo wagon. I had a 1987 740 regular wagon. Found a '91 Turbo wagon with 186,00 miles on sale for $2,500. Haggled the price down to $2,000. Could have haggled down the price more, but resisted the urge, out of respect to a fellow Volvo owner. Original paint job looked glossy for a 13-yr old. Interior showed its age. Brakes were bad. Timing belt replaced at 188,000 miles. Replaced leaking radiator. The cylinder head gasket was replaced. Front bushings were replaced. Previous owner tried hard to "kill" car but failed. After few-and-far-between repairs by a "Volvo only" mechanic, car runs like a dream. 0-80 mph, no sweat. Gets 20 mpg, city. Overall, a magnificent car.

1991 Volvo 740 Non-Turbo Sedan
By Mike on 11/13/07 08:21 AM (PST)

1991 Volvo 740 4dr Sedan

I bought my Volvo 740 for $600.00. Overall it's a good car. If you know about cars, then you can really fix one of these up well. So far, I have put about $3000.00 into it. I know it's a lot, and also it's my first car. But I want it to look really nice, especially when I get the new paint job and I want it to run very smooth, nice sounding, and as fast as I can tweak it to go. I'm still thinking about if I want to install the turbo on it, but I have to fix the frame (small bend in each). But when I get the last 2 of my replacement parts, it will look good.

I love this car!
By Ash on 10/02/07 09:49 AM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 740 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 199K on the odometer. It was already 13 years old. I won the ebay auction and paid $800 for it. I picked it up near Philly, Pennsylvania, and drove it straight to Lawrence Kansas in one and half days. No problems. During my ownership of the car (2.5 years) it only needed a water pump changed which is a maintenance item anyway. Always ultra reliable, and the transmission was excellent and crisp. I drove this regularly and made 1000 mile round trips routinely. This car is built for the highway! You always arrive fresh and relaxed! I had to sell it to a friend because she got into an accident and dented it up. She is driving it as is, and is happy too.

Volvo holds the world record in miles.
By David on 06/15/07 14:33 PM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 740 Turbo 4dr Wagon

This is the best car I have ever owned and I probably will not find a better one in my life time. I now have 485,787 miles on it and it runs like new. Smooth transmission and engine and it's all original. I have had this car for six years now and everything still works perfectly. I admit I even abuse the car all the time at the street lights and she is as tough as a tank and as fast as a hot rod. All I do is change the oil every 3 thousand miles or so and I changed the battery once. Not bad for a half a million mile car! I paid only $600 for her and some guy offered me $4,000. no way would I ever sell my car. If you buy a Volvo you will never buy anything else again! Volvo for life!

Utterly reliable
By Ash on 05/07/07 15:49 PM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 740 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 199,000 miles on it in July 2004 and only recently sold it to a friend with 216,000 miles on it. I love the fact that she was built for highway cruising. I thought it was bizzare that she gave 16 mpg in the city and 35 mpg on the highway. But I never felt the stress of driving on 8-10 hour trips. She has been utterly reliable, and the only thing I did for her during her 2.5 years with me was change the rotors and pads, and get the alternator fixed. (Both of these are maintenance items that need repair/replacement every 6-7 yrs when well maintained.) Her original automatic trans was rock solid. Everything worked as it should.

Great Old Volvo - Still Great
By Carol A. Pasquini on 04/16/07 12:32 PM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 740 4dr Sedan

I drove this car for 15 years and put 245,000 miles on it. It was still going strong, but I succumbed to a red Audi convertible. I had a bit of front end work (rack), and other general work done, but the engine, body, and upholstery (leather) were still fine. My new car is great, but I doubt it will be as fine a car in general as my "trusty" Volvo. I probably could have gotten another five years out of it. Too late now. (1991 740)

My quirky little brick...
By Bricklover on 08/04/06 12:08 PM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 740 SE Turbo 4dr Sedan

I was given this car in 2002 when it died on the side of a rural GA highway. Turns out the ground wire to the main fuel pump had a bad terminal connection. After about 30 minutes and 10 cents invested, I had a smooth running little Volvo. This car became my wife's (girlfriend at the time) college commuter car. Now it's my daily driver. I love this car. I can take V8 muscle or imports from a standing start to about 80 mph. Beyond that, the 740 is mortal. It's comfy and very safe, and a tad sexy too. My only complaints are the quirky electronics. I can't really complain though for a 15 year old car. Advice to tinkerers: if it ain't broke, leave it be. Volvos will drive you crazy.

Best car I ever owned
By Dr know on 05/02/06 20:26 PM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 740 Turbo 4dr Wagon

Now I understand why volvo holds the world record for the most miles in history. My car has 181,000 miles on it and runs like new.Its fast comfortable and its alot of fun beating sports cars with a station wagon. I bought the car because my escort died on me on short notice i needed somthing cheap that was safe for the baby reliable and didn't use too much gas.I got what i wanted and more. its also fast and fun to drive.an elderly man who collected volvos needed to clear his yard due to code violations.he was selling it for $900 i bought it for $600 sure it needs paint and seat covers its 15 yrs old but wow the car is solid as a rock.fast, economic, safe, and ,reliable I see why he loves volvos.

I loved my brick
By sgtsalamander on 05/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 740 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I'm Canadian, so you'll have to excuse the metric measurements. I purchased the car at 316000km and drove it to a little over 400000. The only reason I sold it was that I was moving and my fiancee and I didn't need 2 cars. Even with high miles, these cars have great bodies and perform amazingly. I'd buy another in a second.

it's a champ
By frowdie on 03/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Volvo 740 4dr Wagon

This car has been a reliable, low maintenance vehicle for our family. It has great dependability and is very safe. Also fun to drive!