1991 Volvo 740 Wagon Consumer Reviews

1991 Volvo 740 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 740 model:
1st Car
By paul_thomas_ on 02/25/11 08:31 AM (PST)

1991 Volvo 740 Wagon 4dr Wagon

I am the third owner of my 1991 Volvo 740 Wagon and I could not have asked for such a great first car. I got it about 5 years ago and I have put on almost 100,000 miles on it since. A few problems with the fuel pump and the front suspension, but other than that it has been a great car. Getting close to 300,000 miles on it and it is running great. Just make sure to change oil every 3,000 miles. It will last forever

Neglected as can be but was a great car
By borncarnut on 06/30/09 00:44 AM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 740 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

This was my fourth Volvo an my first outside the 200 series, I bought it for only 900 and very neglected so I expected a lot of issues, especially at 364,000 miles. I replaced a blown turbo an tires as well as the normal Volvo tie rods, beyond that this was a fantastic car always suprisingly fast always got me where I needed to go up until almost 500,000 miles when I had an oil leak I didn't notice until too late. Was one of the most exciting cars I ever had the pleasure of owning

Neglected 740 Turbo Wagon still reliable
By CARL JOSEPH on 05/02/08 22:53 PM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 740 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

I wanted a Volvo 740 Turbo wagon. I had a 1987 740 regular wagon. Found a '91 Turbo wagon with 186,00 miles on sale for $2,500. Haggled the price down to $2,000. Could have haggled down the price more, but resisted the urge, out of respect to a fellow Volvo owner. Original paint job looked glossy for a 13-yr old. Interior showed its age. Brakes were bad. Timing belt replaced at 188,000 miles. Replaced leaking radiator. The cylinder head gasket was replaced. Front bushings were replaced. Previous owner tried hard to "kill" car but failed. After few-and-far-between repairs by a "Volvo only" mechanic, car runs like a dream. 0-80 mph, no sweat. Gets 20 mpg, city. Overall, a magnificent car.

Volvo holds the world record in miles.
By David on 06/15/07 14:33 PM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 740 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

This is the best car I have ever owned and I probably will not find a better one in my life time. I now have 485,787 miles on it and it runs like new. Smooth transmission and engine and it's all original. I have had this car for six years now and everything still works perfectly. I admit I even abuse the car all the time at the street lights and she is as tough as a tank and as fast as a hot rod. All I do is change the oil every 3 thousand miles or so and I changed the battery once. Not bad for a half a million mile car! I paid only $600 for her and some guy offered me $4,000. no way would I ever sell my car. If you buy a Volvo you will never buy anything else again! Volvo for life!

Best car I ever owned
By Dr know on 05/02/06 20:26 PM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 740 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

Now I understand why volvo holds the world record for the most miles in history. My car has 181,000 miles on it and runs like new.Its fast comfortable and its alot of fun beating sports cars with a station wagon. I bought the car because my escort died on me on short notice i needed somthing cheap that was safe for the baby reliable and didn't use too much gas.I got what i wanted and more. its also fast and fun to drive.an elderly man who collected volvos needed to clear his yard due to code violations.he was selling it for $900 i bought it for $600 sure it needs paint and seat covers its 15 yrs old but wow the car is solid as a rock.fast, economic, safe, and ,reliable I see why he loves volvos.

it's a champ
By frowdie on 03/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Volvo 740 Wagon 4dr Wagon

This car has been a reliable, low maintenance vehicle for our family. It has great dependability and is very safe. Also fun to drive!

Volvo 740 Wagon
By Jhanks on 11/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Volvo 740 Wagon 4dr Wagon

Great handling - still very tight suspension. Great brakes. Engine and transmission still running very smoothly

1991 Volvo Turbo wagon
By cvaughan on 04/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Volvo 740 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

This car has 174,000 on it now, and it handles and runs as new. I change the oil every 3K, do the service by the book at an independent garage and generally drive moderately. The car has manual transmission with overdrive, so I get 26 MPG pretty regularly, with good power. I would recommend the 740/940 series to anyone interested in a rock-solid, dependable set of wheels.

Volvo serves lemonade
By dfield157 on 02/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Volvo 740 Wagon 4dr Wagon

I invested in Volvo in 1991 with considerable money. I had two new children and thought I was investing in safety and quality. I am one to drive a car for its full life (i.e.10 - 15 years).

Stranded. A lot.
By Tasteefish on 10/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 740 Wagon 4dr Wagon

It’s broken down in NJ, it’s broken down in PA, and it’s broken down in OH. Belts break, hoses bust, tape player eats tapes and locks up, sun roof would not open for months, but now, inexplicably, does. Roof leaks during washing. I don’t know the number of times this car has broken down. . But there are some good aspects to this car. Storage. Everywhere. And it’s good to throw strollers in the back. But, so many bad things. And it clunk clunk clunks into second gear (automatic). Not a very quick car, but that is OK.