1991 Volvo 740 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 740 model:
rare ..and not for sale
By hadassah2 on 08/24/13 15:44 PM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 740 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Great car for almost six years.. i am the second owner.. a few problems with fuel pump.. and a few other very Minor problems..over the years .. we paid only 1500... that was a steal... more 250,000 miles and still going strong ...very dependable !!

Surprisingly good!
By Josh on 06/15/10 13:16 PM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 740 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've always had Hondas but after having a heater core problem on my last Accord (along with a few other costly repairs) I had to sell it because I just didn't have the money to fix it. While in the market for a car, I looked everywhere for another Honda, but had no luck. Then, I stumbled upon an ad for this car. I thought, well, it's not great looking, but it's cheap and it's transportation. I've had it for almost 7 months now and I only had to replace a PCV valve and clean out the intake. $80-no big deal. Ever since then, it's never stalled or broken down. I never knew Volvos were that reliable! I was pleasantly surprised!

almost 20 years
By volvo lover on 06/16/09 13:14 PM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 740 Sedan 4dr Sedan

i have 330,000 miles runs great has the rare 740SE emblem on trunk is still a beautiful blue/green metallic

Great Car
By Long Time Owner on 04/03/09 12:07 PM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 740 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is the best car I have ever owned. I bought it in 2001 with just under 100k miles. It now has over 217k miles. I was getting 30mpg until my tailpipe fell off. It had rusted through due to my inattention. I now get 23-25mpg. The only problem I have encountered was electrical. The car would stall for no apparent reason. We thought maybe it was the fuel pumps. We replaced both fuel pumps and it would still stall. We found out the wiring had gone bad. This was in 2007. The mechanic replaced most of the wiring and also the starter and alternator. Now it runs as good or better than when I bought it. It was well maintained when I bought it and I keep it up as well. I hope to get to 400k miles.

Volvo 740 for life
By Dr. Bob on 03/27/09 13:05 PM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 740 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Owned this 2nd 740 after the wonderful rock solid first one I put 160,000 on. Should have kept it. Now this new one has 150,000 and I will put another 150,000 on it with no major problems. I am not easy on any car, including this one. Top speed 112 and no leaks or oil use. My daughter will put 20,000 on it at medical school and give it back after a good thrashing. She will always make it home to dear old dad. I went from Mercedes to volvo for the new car for the wife, but this 740 is my baby. I'm going to be in the record books with a cool 500,000 miles with out a tear down. Love the ski door in the trunk. Next trip is 4500 miles, oil change at 5000 is OK and lots love. Regards, Dr. Bob

fantastic find!!!!
By Jeremy on 03/12/09 16:31 PM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 740 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Since the purchase of my Volvo, I have had almost no problems. It has been a wonderful experience. It does very good in the snow and ice. After a long line of cars that decided if they wanted to run or not, depending on the day, it's Nice to have something I can count on. Even though it's 18 years old!

1991 Volvo 740 Non-Turbo Sedan
By Mike on 11/13/07 08:21 AM (PST)

1991 Volvo 740 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my Volvo 740 for $600.00. Overall it's a good car. If you know about cars, then you can really fix one of these up well. So far, I have put about $3000.00 into it. I know it's a lot, and also it's my first car. But I want it to look really nice, especially when I get the new paint job and I want it to run very smooth, nice sounding, and as fast as I can tweak it to go. I'm still thinking about if I want to install the turbo on it, but I have to fix the frame (small bend in each). But when I get the last 2 of my replacement parts, it will look good.

I love this car!
By Ash on 10/02/07 09:49 AM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 740 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 199K on the odometer. It was already 13 years old. I won the ebay auction and paid $800 for it. I picked it up near Philly, Pennsylvania, and drove it straight to Lawrence Kansas in one and half days. No problems. During my ownership of the car (2.5 years) it only needed a water pump changed which is a maintenance item anyway. Always ultra reliable, and the transmission was excellent and crisp. I drove this regularly and made 1000 mile round trips routinely. This car is built for the highway! You always arrive fresh and relaxed! I had to sell it to a friend because she got into an accident and dented it up. She is driving it as is, and is happy too.

Utterly reliable
By Ash on 05/07/07 15:49 PM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 740 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 199,000 miles on it in July 2004 and only recently sold it to a friend with 216,000 miles on it. I love the fact that she was built for highway cruising. I thought it was bizzare that she gave 16 mpg in the city and 35 mpg on the highway. But I never felt the stress of driving on 8-10 hour trips. She has been utterly reliable, and the only thing I did for her during her 2.5 years with me was change the rotors and pads, and get the alternator fixed. (Both of these are maintenance items that need repair/replacement every 6-7 yrs when well maintained.) Her original automatic trans was rock solid. Everything worked as it should.

Great Old Volvo - Still Great
By Carol A. Pasquini on 04/16/07 12:32 PM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 740 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I drove this car for 15 years and put 245,000 miles on it. It was still going strong, but I succumbed to a red Audi convertible. I had a bit of front end work (rack), and other general work done, but the engine, body, and upholstery (leather) were still fine. My new car is great, but I doubt it will be as fine a car in general as my "trusty" Volvo. I probably could have gotten another five years out of it. Too late now. (1991 740)