Used 1991 Volvo 740 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 740 model:

rare ..and not for sale
By hadassah2

1991 Volvo 740 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Great car for almost six years.. i am the second owner.. a few problems with fuel pump.. and a few other very Minor problems..over the years .. we paid only 1500... that was a steal... more 250,000 miles and still going strong ...very dependable !!

Favorite Features

strong body / size -great gas mileage /automatic lights /automatic trunk lock / roomy trunk/

Surprisingly good!
By Josh

1991 Volvo 740 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've always had Hondas but after having a heater core problem on my last Accord (along with a few other costly repairs) I had to sell it because I just didn't have the money to fix it. While in the market for a car, I looked everywhere for another Honda, but had no luck. Then, I stumbled upon an ad for this car. I thought, well, it's not great looking, but it's cheap and it's transportation. I've had it for almost 7 months now and I only had to replace a PCV valve and clean out the intake. $80-no big deal. Ever since then, it's never stalled or broken down. I never knew Volvos were that reliable! I was pleasantly surprised!

Favorite Features

Reliability and comfortable seating. Plus, the light in the center console and low lit light in the rear floor area is pretty nice!

Suggested Improvements

Where are the cup holders? Also, why no lever for reclining the seat? Who thought a knob was a good idea? It take 3 hours just to recline the seat..

Best car you will ever have
By Lynn

1991 Volvo 740 Sedan SE Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new, and now my college age daughter uses it when home. I now have a 2006 V70 but I still love the 740. Has had very few problems, has 175K miles and most parts are original. Will have to replace heater core, but most reliable car I have ever owned. I will probably be buried in it if I can ever pry it out of my kid's hand.

Favorite Features

Very fast (turbo) incredible turning radius, comfortable super tank. Handles very well and there will never be another car like it.

Suggested Improvements

Plastic cup holders needed.

WOW
By 740arany

1991 Volvo 740 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I've been a volvo fan ever since I got my friends 850turbo's 0-60 down to 4.2. I found my volvo in a used car lot, $1000. It looks like a piece if junk, it was in an accident. But it funny as hell watching people drop their jaws when they can't keep up. My car wasn't maintained at all, its rough around the edges I had to redo the wiring because some jackass thought making the windows go down when u turn on the radio was funny. Or making the lights work only when i hold the up window button... you get the point, someone abused my baby.

Favorite Features

the automatic transmissions 1/2/d, good for acceleration in races, nothing else really works n my car.

Suggested Improvements

CUP HOLDERS, I ALWAYS WISH i HAD CUP HOLDERS.... also, they shoulda used a straight 5 from the fwd volvos, and the turbo should perhaps been 12psi stock, every1 knocks it up to 12 or higher...

almost 20 years
By volvo lover

1991 Volvo 740 Sedan 4dr Sedan

i have 330,000 miles runs great has the rare 740SE emblem on trunk is still a beautiful blue/green metallic

Favorite Features

distinct design not a copy cat