Used 1991 Volvo 740 SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Volvo 740 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 740 model:

Best car you will ever have
By Lynn

1991 Volvo 740 SE Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new, and now my college age daughter uses it when home. I now have a 2006 V70 but I still love the 740. Has had very few problems, has 175K miles and most parts are original. Will have to replace heater core, but most reliable car I have ever owned. I will probably be buried in it if I can ever pry it out of my kid's hand.

Favorite Features

Very fast (turbo) incredible turning radius, comfortable super tank. Handles very well and there will never be another car like it.

Suggested Improvements

Plastic cup holders needed.

My quirky little brick...
By Bricklover

1991 Volvo 740 SE Turbo 4dr Sedan

I was given this car in 2002 when it died on the side of a rural GA highway. Turns out the ground wire to the main fuel pump had a bad terminal connection. After about 30 minutes and 10 cents invested, I had a smooth running little Volvo. This car became my wife's (girlfriend at the time) college commuter car. Now it's my daily driver. I love this car. I can take V8 muscle or imports from a standing start to about 80 mph. Beyond that, the 740 is mortal. It's comfy and very safe, and a tad sexy too. My only complaints are the quirky electronics. I can't really complain though for a 15 year old car. Advice to tinkerers: if it ain't broke, leave it be. Volvos will drive you crazy.

Favorite Features

Comfy, roomy, safe, dependable, fast! The trunk is cavernous. The moonroof is sweet. Good paint. Insanely solid chasis and suspension. Awesome factory turbo+ kit. Great brakes. Quiet. Solid tranny. Handles like a go-kart.

Suggested Improvements

Include a copy of "Psychology of the Swedish Engineer" with every used Volvo so that we practical Americans can understand these cars. The wiring is especially befuddling. I think that if you use good gas and change the oil, these old 740's will go forever. Tinker at your own peril.

My Volvo
By easyj

1991 Volvo 740 SE Turbo 4dr Sedan

The Volvo that I own is one of the funnest and easiest cars I've ever driven.

Favorite Features

The sound system, the way it handles, and the way it moves.

Suggested Improvements

The body is ugly.