Used 1991 Volvo 740 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 740 model:

rare ..and not for sale
By hadassah2

1991 Volvo 740 4dr Sedan

Great car for almost six years.. i am the second owner.. a few problems with fuel pump.. and a few other very Minor problems..over the years .. we paid only 1500... that was a steal... more 250,000 miles and still going strong ...very dependable !!

Favorite Features

strong body / size -great gas mileage /automatic lights /automatic trunk lock / roomy trunk/

Surprisingly good!
By Josh

1991 Volvo 740 4dr Sedan

I've always had Hondas but after having a heater core problem on my last Accord (along with a few other costly repairs) I had to sell it because I just didn't have the money to fix it. While in the market for a car, I looked everywhere for another Honda, but had no luck. Then, I stumbled upon an ad for this car. I thought, well, it's not great looking, but it's cheap and it's transportation. I've had it for almost 7 months now and I only had to replace a PCV valve and clean out the intake. $80-no big deal. Ever since then, it's never stalled or broken down. I never knew Volvos were that reliable! I was pleasantly surprised!

Favorite Features

Reliability and comfortable seating. Plus, the light in the center console and low lit light in the rear floor area is pretty nice!

Suggested Improvements

Where are the cup holders? Also, why no lever for reclining the seat? Who thought a knob was a good idea? It take 3 hours just to recline the seat..

almost 20 years
By volvo lover

1991 Volvo 740 4dr Sedan

i have 330,000 miles runs great has the rare 740SE emblem on trunk is still a beautiful blue/green metallic

Favorite Features

distinct design not a copy cat

Great Car
By Long Time Owner

1991 Volvo 740 4dr Sedan

This is the best car I have ever owned. I bought it in 2001 with just under 100k miles. It now has over 217k miles. I was getting 30mpg until my tailpipe fell off. It had rusted through due to my inattention. I now get 23-25mpg. The only problem I have encountered was electrical. The car would stall for no apparent reason. We thought maybe it was the fuel pumps. We replaced both fuel pumps and it would still stall. We found out the wiring had gone bad. This was in 2007. The mechanic replaced most of the wiring and also the starter and alternator. Now it runs as good or better than when I bought it. It was well maintained when I bought it and I keep it up as well. I hope to get to 400k miles.

Favorite Features

Heated Seats, (it snows 7 months here) Spacious seating and trunk space Metal Frame none of the fiberglass junk Reliability Mileage is decent if you maintain your car.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement this car needs is Cup Holders. I put my drinks in the middle console, which is ok for me, but my wife has to hold hers in her lap.

Volvo 740 for life
By Dr. Bob

1991 Volvo 740 4dr Sedan

Owned this 2nd 740 after the wonderful rock solid first one I put 160,000 on. Should have kept it. Now this new one has 150,000 and I will put another 150,000 on it with no major problems. I am not easy on any car, including this one. Top speed 112 and no leaks or oil use. My daughter will put 20,000 on it at medical school and give it back after a good thrashing. She will always make it home to dear old dad. I went from Mercedes to volvo for the new car for the wife, but this 740 is my baby. I'm going to be in the record books with a cool 500,000 miles with out a tear down. Love the ski door in the trunk. Next trip is 4500 miles, oil change at 5000 is OK and lots love. Regards, Dr. Bob

Favorite Features

Low maintenance, great motor, very roomy and comfortable, great seat warmers in seats, tight turning radius, The best steel & rust proofing in the industry and most of all... very dependable... Honda accord can not compare to this beast. I'm sold all over again !

Suggested Improvements

Make an El Camino with this model...Pimp my ride with a smile