Used 1991 Volvo 740 Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 740 model:

422k miles on a turbo'd 5 speed
By Tommy

1991 Volvo 740 4dr Wagon

This car is remarkable, it's made it almost a half of a million miles and still pulls hard, that turbo kicks hard and combined with a manual gear box and rear wheel drive it gets fun, it's actually a lot of fun. It puts a smile on my face every time I drive it even after all these years and miles, it's fast yet practical, spacious yet sporty, understated boxy appearance makes its a "sleeper" I would never drive anything else, I own nothing but Volvos, my girlfriend drives an 850 base and I also own an 850R the newer ones are okay but front wheel drive kills the soul of the brick. Avoid any Volvo newer than '98 when Ford got involved, they're money pits. Stick to the brick and you can't go wrong

Cup holders
By Chris

1991 Volvo 740 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I'm not sure if your car has them but mine are in the arm rest ok the center console, they slide out from the part that you lift up to get to the storage underneath. One slides out for the front passengers another slides out for the rear passengers...

rare ..and not for sale
By hadassah2

1991 Volvo 740 4dr Sedan

Great car for almost six years.. i am the second owner.. a few problems with fuel pump.. and a
few other very
Minor problems..over the years
.. we paid only 1500... that
was a steal... more 250,000 miles and still going strong
...very dependable !!

strong body / size -great gas mileage /automatic lights /automatic trunk lock / roomy trunk/

1st Car
By paul_thomas_

1991 Volvo 740 4dr Wagon

I am the third owner of my 1991 Volvo 740 Wagon and I could not have asked for such a great first car. I got it about 5 years ago and I have put on almost 100,000 miles on it since. A few problems with the fuel pump and the front suspension, but other than that it has been a great car. Getting close to 300,000 miles on it and it is running great. Just make sure to change oil every 3,000 miles. It will last forever

Having a sunroof is awesome to have since it doesnt have air conditioning. I drive a lot so cruise control is also another one of my favorite features. Overall the layout of the interior is very simple and not complicated.

More power for the 4 cylinder engine. It has trouble making its way up mountains.

Surprisingly good!
By Josh

1991 Volvo 740 4dr Sedan

I've always had Hondas but after having a heater core problem on my last Accord (along with a few other costly repairs) I had to sell it because I just didn't have the money to fix it. While in the market for a car, I looked everywhere for another Honda, but had no luck. Then, I stumbled upon an ad for this car. I thought, well, it's not great looking, but it's cheap and it's transportation. I've had it for almost 7 months now and I only had to replace a PCV valve and clean out the intake. $80-no big deal. Ever since then, it's never stalled or broken down. I never knew Volvos were that reliable! I was pleasantly surprised!

Reliability and comfortable seating. Plus, the light in the center console and low lit light in the rear floor area is pretty nice!

Where are the cup holders? Also, why no lever for reclining the seat? Who thought a knob was a good idea? It take 3 hours just to recline the seat..