Used 1990 Volvo 740 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 740 model:

Still Going Strong
By jiminlakewood

1990 Volvo 740 Turbo 4dr Wagon

At 270000 miles, it gets on down the road great. Had to replace the turbo and catalytic converter. But after that the car has been pretty low cost to maintain (about $0.035/mile). Still looks good, paint still shiny. Run Mobil 1 oil and Mobil synthetic transmission fluid.

Turbo!

Wish they still made cars that would last 20 plus years so we would use our resources wisely.

my wonderful Volvo
By jfs

1990 Volvo 740 GLE 4dr Wagon

My wonderful Volvo was struck by another car on Monday night. This is the best car that I have ever owned. Everyone keeps telling me that the best thing is that I am not hurt. Thank-you to God and my wonderful Volvo for that. I have never loved a car like I loved my Volvo. When I purchased it 2 years ago, it had 120,000 miles on it. I had to drive to my job in another city for almost a year. Thus I have put many extra miles on it. It now has over 300,000 miles on it. I am going to miss my car so much. It is worth so much more than the insurance company wants to pay me. It's called peace of mind, which cannot be bought with any amount of money!

All of them!

NONE

1990 740 GLE Volvo wagon
By jfs

1990 Volvo 740 GLE 4dr Wagon

I am very sad to report that my beloved Volvo was in a front end crash last night. I loved that car! It was the best car that I have ever owned. I bought it from a mechanic in 2008. It has served me extremely well. It had over 300,000 miles, because I had to travel a good distance to my job (for almost a year.) I told my son that no matter how much money I had,I would buy a brand new Volvo! This car even protected me in this bad crash! I would recommend a used Volvo over any other used car. It required very little maintenance. I only had to do minimal upkeep (changing oil,filter,brakes(once),tires, etc.) It was an amazing car! I am so sad! I used all my available words in honor of my Volvo.

THE ENTIRE CAR

NONE

volvo awesome
By tonyS

1990 Volvo 740 GL 4dr Sedan

Running great still no major fixes needed no rust, i enjoy pretty much everything about it...mechanically its in great condition

heated seats, sunroof, leather seats, little to no issues

the locks u cant just push down the drivers side lock while door is open to lock all doors u need to get out n use the key or open the backdoor n push down the front lock can be a little bit difficult sometimes

Still going strong!
By vinnie

1990 Volvo 740 GL 4dr Sedan

Well, this car won't die! My last posting in 7/07...nothing hasn't changed since then. The Brick now has close to 300,000 miles on her...and she's still going strong. I've beefed up the suspension with all Ipd performance equipment, repainted the vehicle, interior refurb in progress, done the timeing belt, trans flush, and changed the rear main seal. All in all, the car hasn't cost me a whole lot of money. A very safe and reliable car....I'd rate it at the top for a 20 year old car. It's the ultimate sleeper on a curvy road...handles like a dream now! Almost as fun to drive as my Porsche Cayman! No leaks, doesn't burn oil, and get's stares and compliments! COLD AC! Not bad for a geek-mobile!

Safety, for sure. Fit and Finish-out of the vehicle (yes, it has a lot of brittle plastic inside). Classic lines. Sunroof, electric windows and locks, EXTREMELY comfortable seats! Uniqueness of the vehicle! EASY to work on yourself. BULLETPROOF engine...will not shred engine if timing belt breaks!

Cup holders, for sure!