1990 Volvo 740 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 740 model:
Excellent car
By arubaariba on 01/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Volvo 740 GL 4dr Wagon

We purchased our 740GL wagon 9 years ago and had no major problems with it. It was simple to maintain, simple to drive, very reliable.. and was truly a tank! It could hold everything, and although the engine did not have the greatest pickup, it was great on gas - it was a real road trip car. The car had about 100k miles on it, and would have gone another 200k. However last week while I was sitting on the 4 lane highway making a left turn, I was hit from behind by a truck going around 50 mph. The car took quite a hit, but it did just what it was designed to and corkscrewed on impact.

Volvo 740GL
By falconbrother on 01/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Volvo 740 GL 4dr Sedan

We bought this car used and drove it for several years. Maybe it's a fluke, but this is the only car I ever owned that I never had anything break on the whole time I owned it. We sold it with 115000 miles on the odo.

volvo-fastest truck on the road
By willia on 01/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Volvo 740 GLE 4dr Sedan

I have owned 6 differant volvos and my 1990 740 gle is my familys favorite. It has classic styling, very nice looking and fun to drive. I am looking for another, would really like a 5 spd. Safe reliable and necer goes out of style, the 16 valve motor is very fast and the car handles beautifully. The only complaint is rear wheel skidding in wet weather due to torque. All in all the fastest truck on the road.

I had only liked the way it looked !
By Calbistro on 10/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 740 Turbo 4dr Wagon

I had seen this car at a dealership off to the side of the road and I liked the way it had looked from a distance, that is to say for an older car. I thought that would be nice for a run a round town car. What a perfect value. The older Volvo wagon in "my opinion" is in every way comparable to my 2000 BMW 528it wagon . Performace, handling, and build quality are unsurpassed in the older Volvo 745 turbo Wagon. I would highly recomend to anyone looking for a cheap reliable run around car, pick up a Volvo Wagon! Besides the older the car the more sophisticated one might look for valuing a dollar, as we should!

Volvo 740 wagon
By PJ19 on 09/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 740 GL 4dr Wagon

Tank-like driveability. Solid. Safe. Secure. Practicality and roominess like no other. Outstanding quality. Absolutley no rust anywhere. 336,000 km and still going. Owning these cars is likea cult - you develop great attachment.

Piece of junk
By brodog on 08/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 740 GL 4dr Sedan

This has by far been the sorriest vehicle that I have ever owned. Motor mounts failed @ 28K, cat converter broke in half @ 32K, lumbar supports in drivers seat fixed 6 times and still broken, transmission failed @ 52K, radiator, replaced before 100K despite having this "car" servived every 5000 miles, and on and on ad nauseum!

Solid and owes me nothing
By reeljoy1 on 08/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 740 GL 4dr Wagon

This car has been a solid and enjoyable experience. Over 230,000 miles over 13 years and while not sexy or sleek or speedy, it has been reliable and safe. We have grown with and through the third row seat with our kids.

More than expected
By bgtg on 07/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 740 GL 4dr Sedan

We bought this old car 2 1/2 years ago and we have not had a problem since. We love its safety and reliability for our family with two young children. It's not glamorous, but it is "stately" and even the gas mileage is better than we expected (28 mpg on hgwy). A solid, well-built car. We expect to drive it another 100K miles (it is at 151K now).

What a keeper!
By Mickey S on 07/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 740 GL 4dr Wagon

Now 14 years old and still moving along as new. Admitted that we only have 80K on it, but it still seems reliable. We do the 5K and 10K maintenance (which can be expensive in NYC) but everything seems to work fine. Not sure if I am getting bilked by my garage, but have had to replace the exhaust system at least 2x. Latest problem: clutch cable broke w/o warning. Minor problem, but makes me wonder if it's time for a new car.

My Car For Life
By cheaprug on 06/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 740 GL 4dr Sedan

I received my 1990 Volvo for college graduation. It is now 13 years old, with 110,000 miles. This is the first year I had to do anything to it. My husband wants me to buy a new car and I refuse. According to my mileage I have another 20 years.