Used 1990 Volvo 740 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 740 model:

Boxy Blue 19 years strong
By indypacers

1990 Volvo 740 GL 4dr Sedan

My son is 18 and preparing for college. The car he came home from the hospital was the car he drove last night to his function and it's still runs strong. Boxy Blue or the tank has seen it all from smashed mailbox post, prom night, babies #2 & #3, vacations etc. I have to say after having several other cars/mini vans over the same period Boxy Blue held up and was the best car purchase I've made dollar for dollar. So the repairs that I may do now are minor, there are plenty of junkyard parts and my mechanic still wants to buy her off me whenever I drive into his shop.

Favorite Features

The design, although boxy is still relevant

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders would have been nice

Still going strong
By indypacers

1990 Volvo 740 GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car the day my eldest son was born and 18 years later I'm still driving it. It proved to be a great investment, a few tires, a brake job, brake booster, heater core and batter latter it's still kicking and wanting to go even more.

The 16 valver
By Kayti

1990 Volvo 740 GLE 4dr Sedan

This is a car you really have to get into as an owner. You can't just drive it just to drive it, you have to really learn about it to operate it properly. It's an older car, so at times we'd have our mornings with the cold weather and the engine turning over but only for a few seconds. It's a very strongly built car and can handle through most anything if you have the tires for it. :) I would suggest this as a first car to any teenager because it helps to teach responsibility. I've put loads of work into this car to get it where it is today and it runs like a champ! I even take it out and autocross it on weekends. Volvos are well-built cars. Like tanks. And I've loved mine.

Favorite Features

The heated leather seats are great! Along with the heated rear window for those dewy mornings. I also love my sunroof. Its power and works just like the day the car was bought.

Suggested Improvements

This car tends to burn a bit of oil. I'm sure I could fix the problem if I sat down to do it, but I go through about 3-4 quarts every 3 weeks.

Best ever
By brad

1990 Volvo 740 Turbo 4dr Wagon

Lots of fun to drive, safer than most cars, much comfort, just a very good car all around.

Favorite Features

Seats.

Suggested Improvements

Needs cup holders.

Fast Swede
By Dave Z

1990 Volvo 740 Turbo 4dr Wagon

Car was 5 yrs old with 25K when bought. Suspension was typical station wagon and a bit scary. Replaced all shocks with stiffer model, added front and rear sway bars, shock tower brace and under engine chassis brace and all season perfomance tires. Also turned-up the boost to 14 from 8.5. Car now handles great, brakes very well and with 222 dyno'd horsepower keeps up easily with all traffic. Car is excellent long distance cruiser as wheelbase and extremely comfortable leather seats encourage continued driving. Vehicle has been well maintained by independent volvo mechanic and has been very inexpensive to date. No rust but little driven in winter. Good for another 150K.

Favorite Features

Seats, ride comfort and control, power.

Suggested Improvements

Reduce low end turbo lag. Provide an overdrive on automatic transmisson for better hwy MPG.