1990 Volvo 740 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 740 model:
Volvo 740GL
By falconbrother on 01/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Volvo 740 Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

We bought this car used and drove it for several years. Maybe it's a fluke, but this is the only car I ever owned that I never had anything break on the whole time I owned it. We sold it with 115000 miles on the odo.

volvo-fastest truck on the road
By willia on 01/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Volvo 740 Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I have owned 6 differant volvos and my 1990 740 gle is my familys favorite. It has classic styling, very nice looking and fun to drive. I am looking for another, would really like a 5 spd. Safe reliable and necer goes out of style, the 16 valve motor is very fast and the car handles beautifully. The only complaint is rear wheel skidding in wet weather due to torque. All in all the fastest truck on the road.

Piece of junk
By brodog on 08/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 740 Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This has by far been the sorriest vehicle that I have ever owned. Motor mounts failed @ 28K, cat converter broke in half @ 32K, lumbar supports in drivers seat fixed 6 times and still broken, transmission failed @ 52K, radiator, replaced before 100K despite having this "car" servived every 5000 miles, and on and on ad nauseum!

More than expected
By bgtg on 07/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 740 Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

We bought this old car 2 1/2 years ago and we have not had a problem since. We love its safety and reliability for our family with two young children. It's not glamorous, but it is "stately" and even the gas mileage is better than we expected (28 mpg on hgwy). A solid, well-built car. We expect to drive it another 100K miles (it is at 151K now).

My Car For Life
By cheaprug on 06/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 740 Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I received my 1990 Volvo for college graduation. It is now 13 years old, with 110,000 miles. This is the first year I had to do anything to it. My husband wants me to buy a new car and I refuse. According to my mileage I have another 20 years.

This car is cool
By goonie on 05/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 740 Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This car is made to last, in a world of front wheel drive cars this car handles quite well compared to others, but the solid axle limits its handling ability. If anything breaks on the car it can be very expensive

This is one faaaaaaast brick!!
By Bedhead2k1 on 11/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Volvo 740 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I was contemplating last year to be tied down on a lease or finance to a new less expensive car such as the Protege5, but I ended up looking at a sweet 1990 740 Turbo at my local Volvo dealership. Even though it's more than 12 years old, rust has not set in (and I live in Canada), the engine is beautiful (if not a bit tractor-like), and the interior is sweet. Go find one today-cheap, sweet, and reliable...not to mention faaaaaast!!!

no fun, safety first!!!
By dme on 10/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 740 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought my 740 turbo sedan a year ago and the car had 270,000 km. In one year I have put an extra 20 k's on the car without spending a lot of money. That's just great!!!

The Timex of cars
By CWelk on 08/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 740 Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Although I bought my 740 GL used, it has proven to be a reliable if somewhat quirky car. I have had very few problems with the car considering that it has just rolled over 150,000 miles and it appears that 200k is well within the realm of possibility. While you won't be winning many drag races with other cars, you do feel very secure knowing this car is built like an armored personel carrier.

And you know this
By Kimberly M Jones on 05/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 740 Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I had ton replace the alternator, fuel pump and filter as well as new catilic converter and exhust system