Used 1990 Volvo 740 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 740 model:

Boxy Blue 19 years strong
By indypacers

1990 Volvo 740 Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

My son is 18 and preparing for college. The car he came home from the hospital was the car he drove last night to his function and it's still runs strong. Boxy Blue or the tank has seen it all from smashed mailbox post, prom night, babies #2 & #3, vacations etc. I have to say after having several other cars/mini vans over the same period Boxy Blue held up and was the best car purchase I've made dollar for dollar. So the repairs that I may do now are minor, there are plenty of junkyard parts and my mechanic still wants to buy her off me whenever I drive into his shop.

The design, although boxy is still relevant

Cupholders would have been nice

Still going strong
By indypacers

1990 Volvo 740 Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car the day my eldest son was born and 18 years later I'm still driving it. It proved to be a great investment, a few tires, a brake job, brake booster, heater core and batter latter it's still kicking and wanting to go even more.

The 16 valver
By Kayti

1990 Volvo 740 Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

This is a car you really have to get into as an owner. You can't just drive it just to drive it, you have to really learn about it to operate it properly. It's an older car, so at times we'd have our mornings with the cold weather and the engine turning over but only for a few seconds. It's a very strongly built car and can handle through most anything if you have the tires for it. :) I would suggest this as a first car to any teenager because it helps to teach responsibility. I've put loads of work into this car to get it where it is today and it runs like a champ! I even take it out and autocross it on weekends. Volvos are well-built cars. Like tanks. And I've loved mine.

The heated leather seats are great! Along with the heated rear window for those dewy mornings. I also love my sunroof. Its power and works just like the day the car was bought.

This car tends to burn a bit of oil. I'm sure I could fix the problem if I sat down to do it, but I go through about 3-4 quarts every 3 weeks.

I love it!
By Vinnie

1990 Volvo 740 Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I used to think that Volvos were the ugliest cars ever made. I inherited a 1990 740 GL sedan and have fallen in love with it! Matter of fact, I'm in the process of doing a refurb on this ride. I totally love the car's reliability and how comfortable it is on the highway. It's a great cruiser. I'm really a truck person, but with today's gas pricing, I've had to park my Chevy 2500HD and use the car as a runner to and from work. I've found myself driving my Volvo everywhere and neglecting my truck! Mechanically, there is nothing wrong with the car, just minor stuff like the compressor and the tie rods needing replacement. I will have the car repainted and that's about it. A great car overall!

The quality of fit and finish throughout the vehicle, comfortable seats, comfortable suspension, great visibility all around, the sunroof, the five star crash rating, the Volvo name.

Intermittent windshield wiper needs better speed and lack of cup holders. Other than that, it's the best built car ever! I now have a respect and a passion for Volvos. Definitely, Volvo... for life!!

A Solid Purchase
By Sean

1990 Volvo 740 Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in May of 2004. The car has been nothing short of reliable, always starting and making life easy. The controls are straightfoward and easy to use and the car is uncomplicated. Winter driving is a hassle, since the car is rear wheel drive. Drivers should be very experienced for winter driving. Parts are extremely expensive - be aware. All repairs, however, are straightfoward and normal, like tires and exhaust. Workmanship and quality are supurb, as well as space. Not the prettiest car, but a VERY smart buy. The turbo has major turbo lag, which can be disconcerting in emergency manuvers. However, when spooled up, it provides more than enough power and poor fuel economy

Ample space for 5, better than our Audi A6! Easy view out means easy parking, no guessing with this car! Tight steering and excellent roadfeel/feedback. Firm suspension and excellent control. Most power out of all the cars in our household, despite age. VERY easy to work on.

Easier effort on the steering (requires more effort than some steering wheels); Less turbo lag and better gas mileage (only 20 mpg now, if that)