Used 1990 Volvo 740 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 740 model:

these cars never die
By terry44

1990 Volvo 740 Turbo 4dr Wagon

This is by far the most reliable car I have ever owned. I currently have 847,924 miles on it! That is not a misprint. Yes my Volvo is nearing one million miles and it still runs like brand new. The engine is strong with no signs of weakening even though I floor it at every stop light. The transmission shifts like brand new. The suspension is strong even though I fly over speed bumps. I am in love with these cars. Volvo is like a miracle car and I'm fortunate enough to have discovered them. They are also the safest cars on the road and very comfortable. The cargo in my wagon is huge. I love leaving new sports cars in the dust at stop lights with my 20 year old station wagon. Volvo for life!

Favorite Features

The longest lasting most reliable car of all time. The safest cars ever made, leaving small new sports cars in the dust at lights. Amazing u turns, more cargo room than many vans, Nice comfort and driving position. The fact that my great grand kids will probably still be driving this car.

Suggested Improvements

how will volvo sell any new cars if the old ones wont ever die?

1990 740 GLE Wagon
By MarK

1990 Volvo 740 GLE 4dr Wagon

I bought this car at 150,000 miles. Was dealer serviced from new and had all records. Regular oil changes at about 2500 miles using dino-oil. Had new timing and balance shaft belts, water pump. Zero rust, no accidents, very well kept inside and out. This has been one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. Now approaching 178,000 miles after driving for 2.5 years, it has been absolutely trouble free. Needs just regular maintenance. Just returned from 2000 mile problem free road trip. At 3000 rpm this car powers up any mountain and runs solid at 85 mph all day on the interstate. A bit sedate in city traffic, effortless on the freeway. Know several owners with over 300,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Big 740 fan for 15 years. Where do I start? B234F engine is more horses, no turbo. I love the sunroof,the style,the seats. Easy to DIY or many local euro- shops for service. Aftermarket/used parts plentiful and reasonably priced. Watch the timing belt service. Stay away from the dealer.

Suggested Improvements

Crankcase ventilation should be serviced/replaced every year to year and half. Unfortunately the intake manifold has to be removed in the process - but ignore at your peril. The engine will develop messy oil leaks or worse (common complaint of owners who don't know).

200K and still going
By Purple Haze

1990 Volvo 740 GLE 4dr Sedan

I just hit 200k a few days ago! The leather seats had a few stitches come loose, had a few plastic moldings crack in the interior but other than normal wear and tear, the car is outstanding. I don't doubt that this car will last me 'til I hit 400k miles!

Favorite Features

Reliability and craftsmanship

Suggested Improvements

Too bad it won't last forever!

296,0000 no frills and still rolling
By indy

1990 Volvo 740 GL 4dr Sedan

Boxy Blue is 19 and still my everyday driver,,,,when I came home from the hospital I had two kids my eldest son and my new 740 family car, he learned to drive in that car and my daughter will soon take her first lesson also. Outside of the normal maintenance four brake jobs/compressor/booster/tie rods I've really only dealt with regular maintenance(ties/wiper blades) I'm not big on maintenance so it burns oil, but doesn't leak and the transmission sometimes takes five miles to kick in for highway driving, but it still cranks out 24 mpg on the highway and 22 in the city ---besides everyone knows me when the Blue Box comes rolling through. For the bucks this was my best car purchase

Favorite Features

I fit the interior

Just keeps going and going and going
By Eva

1990 Volvo 740 GL 4dr Sedan

Have owned this car since 1993, it has been the best and most trouble free car I have ever owned. After purchasing 3 new vehicles and getting to know everyone is service dept. on a first name basis I said never again would I buy new instead I would let someone else get the bugs out. This is my 3rd Volvo and my family can't pry me out of it. Fun to drive and great service, leather interior still almost perfect (only 2 small places where seam has come loose) looks better today that most cars that are 3- 5 years old. Love the box called Volvo !

Favorite Features

Ride, handling, turning radius, roomy trunk and love the loud horn.

Suggested Improvements

Let the Swedes build them.