Used 1990 Volvo 740 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 740 model:

Still Going Strong
By jiminlakewood

1990 Volvo 740 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

At 270000 miles, it gets on down the road great. Had to replace the turbo and catalytic converter. But after that the car has been pretty low cost to maintain (about $0.035/mile). Still looks good, paint still shiny. Run Mobil 1 oil and Mobil synthetic transmission fluid.

Turbo!

Wish they still made cars that would last 20 plus years so we would use our resources wisely.

my wonderful Volvo
By jfs

1990 Volvo 740 Wagon GLE 4dr Wagon

My wonderful Volvo was struck by another car on Monday night. This is the best car that I have ever owned. Everyone keeps telling me that the best thing is that I am not hurt. Thank-you to God and my wonderful Volvo for that. I have never loved a car like I loved my Volvo. When I purchased it 2 years ago, it had 120,000 miles on it. I had to drive to my job in another city for almost a year. Thus I have put many extra miles on it. It now has over 300,000 miles on it. I am going to miss my car so much. It is worth so much more than the insurance company wants to pay me. It's called peace of mind, which cannot be bought with any amount of money!

All of them!

NONE

1990 740 GLE Volvo wagon
By jfs

1990 Volvo 740 Wagon GLE 4dr Wagon

I am very sad to report that my beloved Volvo was in a front end crash last night. I loved that car! It was the best car that I have ever owned. I bought it from a mechanic in 2008. It has served me extremely well. It had over 300,000 miles, because I had to travel a good distance to my job (for almost a year.) I told my son that no matter how much money I had,I would buy a brand new Volvo! This car even protected me in this bad crash! I would recommend a used Volvo over any other used car. It required very little maintenance. I only had to do minimal upkeep (changing oil,filter,brakes(once),tires, etc.) It was an amazing car! I am so sad! I used all my available words in honor of my Volvo.

THE ENTIRE CAR

NONE

these cars never die
By terry44

1990 Volvo 740 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

This is by far the most reliable car I have ever owned. I currently have 847,924 miles on it! That is not a misprint. Yes my Volvo is nearing one million miles and it still runs like brand new. The engine is strong with no signs of weakening even though I floor it at every stop light. The transmission shifts like brand new. The suspension is strong even though I fly over speed bumps. I am in love with these cars. Volvo is like a miracle car and I'm fortunate enough to have discovered them. They are also the safest cars on the road and very comfortable. The cargo in my wagon is huge. I love leaving new sports cars in the dust at stop lights with my 20 year old station wagon. Volvo for life!

The longest lasting most reliable car of all time. The safest cars ever made, leaving small new sports cars in the dust at lights. Amazing u turns, more cargo room than many vans, Nice comfort and driving position. The fact that my great grand kids will probably still be driving this car.

how will volvo sell any new cars if the old ones wont ever die?

1990 740 GLE Wagon
By MarK

1990 Volvo 740 Wagon GLE 4dr Wagon

I bought this car at 150,000 miles. Was dealer serviced from new and had all records. Regular oil changes at about 2500 miles using dino-oil. Had new timing and balance shaft belts, water pump. Zero rust, no accidents, very well kept inside and out. This has been one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. Now approaching 178,000 miles after driving for 2.5 years, it has been absolutely trouble free. Needs just regular maintenance. Just returned from 2000 mile problem free road trip. At 3000 rpm this car powers up any mountain and runs solid at 85 mph all day on the interstate. A bit sedate in city traffic, effortless on the freeway. Know several owners with over 300,000 miles.

Big 740 fan for 15 years. Where do I start? B234F engine is more horses, no turbo. I love the sunroof,the style,the seats. Easy to DIY or many local euro- shops for service. Aftermarket/used parts plentiful and reasonably priced. Watch the timing belt service. Stay away from the dealer.

Crankcase ventilation should be serviced/replaced every year to year and half. Unfortunately the intake manifold has to be removed in the process - but ignore at your peril. The engine will develop messy oil leaks or worse (common complaint of owners who don't know).