Used 1990 Volvo 740 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 740 model:

1990 740 GL
By LG

1990 Volvo 740 Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my Volvo in 2005 with 190,000 miles on it and have driven it daily ever since, as well as a few long distance road trips. It handles very well and is very comfortable to drive. It now has 328,000 miles and is still running great! I have had regular maintenance done and replaced parts as they have worn out. It doesn't leak or burn any oil. The maintenance and repair costs have been low, but I have a very good Volvo mechanic. I don't ever want to sell my Volvo!

volvo awesome
By tonyS

1990 Volvo 740 Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Running great still no major fixes needed no rust, i enjoy pretty much everything about it...mechanically its in great condition

heated seats, sunroof, leather seats, little to no issues

the locks u cant just push down the drivers side lock while door is open to lock all doors u need to get out n use the key or open the backdoor n push down the front lock can be a little bit difficult sometimes

Still going strong!
By vinnie

1990 Volvo 740 Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Well, this car won't die! My last posting in 7/07...nothing hasn't changed since then. The Brick now has close to 300,000 miles on her...and she's still going strong. I've beefed up the suspension with all Ipd performance equipment, repainted the vehicle, interior refurb in progress, done the timeing belt, trans flush, and changed the rear main seal. All in all, the car hasn't cost me a whole lot of money. A very safe and reliable car....I'd rate it at the top for a 20 year old car. It's the ultimate sleeper on a curvy road...handles like a dream now! Almost as fun to drive as my Porsche Cayman! No leaks, doesn't burn oil, and get's stares and compliments! COLD AC! Not bad for a geek-mobile!

Safety, for sure. Fit and Finish-out of the vehicle (yes, it has a lot of brittle plastic inside). Classic lines. Sunroof, electric windows and locks, EXTREMELY comfortable seats! Uniqueness of the vehicle! EASY to work on yourself. BULLETPROOF engine...will not shred engine if timing belt breaks!

Cup holders, for sure!

200K and still going
By Purple Haze

1990 Volvo 740 Sedan GLE 4dr Sedan

I just hit 200k a few days ago! The leather seats had a few stitches come loose, had a few plastic moldings crack in the interior but other than normal wear and tear, the car is outstanding. I don't doubt that this car will last me 'til I hit 400k miles!

Reliability and craftsmanship

Too bad it won't last forever!

296,0000 no frills and still rolling
By indy

1990 Volvo 740 Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Boxy Blue is 19 and still my everyday driver,,,,when I came home from the hospital I had two kids my eldest son and my new 740 family car, he learned to drive in that car and my daughter will soon take her first lesson also. Outside of the normal maintenance four brake jobs/compressor/booster/tie rods I've really only dealt with regular maintenance(ties/wiper blades) I'm not big on maintenance so it burns oil, but doesn't leak and the transmission sometimes takes five miles to kick in for highway driving, but it still cranks out 24 mpg on the highway and 22 in the city ---besides everyone knows me when the Blue Box comes rolling through. For the bucks this was my best car purchase

I fit the interior