1990 Volvo 740 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 740 model:
Still Going Strong
By jiminlakewood on 02/25/11 07:15 AM (PST)

1990 Volvo 740 Turbo 4dr Wagon

At 270000 miles, it gets on down the road great. Had to replace the turbo and catalytic converter. But after that the car has been pretty low cost to maintain (about $0.035/mile). Still looks good, paint still shiny. Run Mobil 1 oil and Mobil synthetic transmission fluid.

my wonderful Volvo
By jfs on 10/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 740 GLE 4dr Wagon

My wonderful Volvo was struck by another car on Monday night. This is the best car that I have ever owned. Everyone keeps telling me that the best thing is that I am not hurt. Thank-you to God and my wonderful Volvo for that. I have never loved a car like I loved my Volvo. When I purchased it 2 years ago, it had 120,000 miles on it. I had to drive to my job in another city for almost a year. Thus I have put many extra miles on it. It now has over 300,000 miles on it. I am going to miss my car so much. It is worth so much more than the insurance company wants to pay me. It's called peace of mind, which cannot be bought with any amount of money!

1990 740 GLE Volvo wagon
By jfs on 10/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 740 GLE 4dr Wagon

I am very sad to report that my beloved Volvo was in a front end crash last night. I loved that car! It was the best car that I have ever owned. I bought it from a mechanic in 2008. It has served me extremely well. It had over 300,000 miles, because I had to travel a good distance to my job (for almost a year.) I told my son that no matter how much money I had,I would buy a brand new Volvo! This car even protected me in this bad crash! I would recommend a used Volvo over any other used car. It required very little maintenance. I only had to do minimal upkeep (changing oil,filter,brakes(once),tires, etc.) It was an amazing car! I am so sad! I used all my available words in honor of my Volvo.

volvo awesome
By tonyS on 11/14/09 19:14 PM (PST)

1990 Volvo 740 GL 4dr Sedan

Running great still no major fixes needed no rust, i enjoy pretty much everything about it...mechanically its in great condition

Still going strong!
By vinnie on 09/30/09 15:45 PM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 740 GL 4dr Sedan

Well, this car won't die! My last posting in 7/07...nothing hasn't changed since then. The Brick now has close to 300,000 miles on her...and she's still going strong. I've beefed up the suspension with all Ipd performance equipment, repainted the vehicle, interior refurb in progress, done the timeing belt, trans flush, and changed the rear main seal. All in all, the car hasn't cost me a whole lot of money. A very safe and reliable car....I'd rate it at the top for a 20 year old car. It's the ultimate sleeper on a curvy road...handles like a dream now! Almost as fun to drive as my Porsche Cayman! No leaks, doesn't burn oil, and get's stares and compliments! COLD AC! Not bad for a geek-mobile!

these cars never die
By terry44 on 07/16/09 16:24 PM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 740 Turbo 4dr Wagon

This is by far the most reliable car I have ever owned. I currently have 847,924 miles on it! That is not a misprint. Yes my Volvo is nearing one million miles and it still runs like brand new. The engine is strong with no signs of weakening even though I floor it at every stop light. The transmission shifts like brand new. The suspension is strong even though I fly over speed bumps. I am in love with these cars. Volvo is like a miracle car and I'm fortunate enough to have discovered them. They are also the safest cars on the road and very comfortable. The cargo in my wagon is huge. I love leaving new sports cars in the dust at stop lights with my 20 year old station wagon. Volvo for life!

1990 740 GLE Wagon
By MarK on 05/17/09 14:26 PM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 740 GLE 4dr Wagon

I bought this car at 150,000 miles. Was dealer serviced from new and had all records. Regular oil changes at about 2500 miles using dino-oil. Had new timing and balance shaft belts, water pump. Zero rust, no accidents, very well kept inside and out. This has been one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. Now approaching 178,000 miles after driving for 2.5 years, it has been absolutely trouble free. Needs just regular maintenance. Just returned from 2000 mile problem free road trip. At 3000 rpm this car powers up any mountain and runs solid at 85 mph all day on the interstate. A bit sedate in city traffic, effortless on the freeway. Know several owners with over 300,000 miles.

200K and still going
By Purple Haze on 03/22/09 00:16 AM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 740 GLE 4dr Sedan

I just hit 200k a few days ago! The leather seats had a few stitches come loose, had a few plastic moldings crack in the interior but other than normal wear and tear, the car is outstanding. I don't doubt that this car will last me 'til I hit 400k miles!

296,0000 no frills and still rolling
By indy on 03/10/09 22:17 PM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 740 GL 4dr Sedan

Boxy Blue is 19 and still my everyday driver,,,,when I came home from the hospital I had two kids my eldest son and my new 740 family car, he learned to drive in that car and my daughter will soon take her first lesson also. Outside of the normal maintenance four brake jobs/compressor/booster/tie rods I've really only dealt with regular maintenance(ties/wiper blades) I'm not big on maintenance so it burns oil, but doesn't leak and the transmission sometimes takes five miles to kick in for highway driving, but it still cranks out 24 mpg on the highway and 22 in the city ---besides everyone knows me when the Blue Box comes rolling through. For the bucks this was my best car purchase

Just keeps going and going and going
By Eva on 05/03/08 09:36 AM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 740 GL 4dr Sedan

Have owned this car since 1993, it has been the best and most trouble free car I have ever owned. After purchasing 3 new vehicles and getting to know everyone is service dept. on a first name basis I said never again would I buy new instead I would let someone else get the bugs out. This is my 3rd Volvo and my family can't pry me out of it. Fun to drive and great service, leather interior still almost perfect (only 2 small places where seam has come loose) looks better today that most cars that are 3- 5 years old. Love the box called Volvo !