Used 1993 Volvo 240 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 240 model:

Volvo 240
By jamonit

1993 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

Just recently picked up a 93 240 wagon. Had to do some work on it, but the previous owner installed new brakes and a Volvo remanufactured tranny, so I think I am set in terms of another 200k miles. Well built and has that classic styling that cannot be found elsewhere. Great car to tool around town in. Very easy to service with cheap parts. There definitely is a reason that you still see a lot of these 240's on the road today even after the last one sold more than 15 years ago.

Classic Styling Comfortable Seats Versatility, especially with the wagon Great Heater only for 1993, 143a AC unit is possible to service Easy and inexpensive to service in general Fairly decent gas mileage

A bit more power Better cooling with AC

A True Classic!
By Jim

1993 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

Bought in 2003 to replace 1991 Volvo 245, which was in a "head on", and my wife walked away with bruises only! Have owned this car for almost 5 years, and it has been very reliable and simple to work on. Getting a mechanic who has a long history working exclusively on Volvo is a must! It is not fast, but very very solid and safe. Great for a young family.

Reliability, low cost of ownership, great utility vehicle, best turning radius of any car ever made, built like a Sherman Tank

Does not have great power, rear gate wiring harnesses are poorly designed (replaced often), mapholders break very easily.

Saved my daughters life
By Bobbi

1993 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

My fiance bought this cutie for me as a "Mothership" to haul my daughters. I took several BMWCCA drivers training schools in her. We named her Greg's Gift and we really miss the security she provided. Our daughter Kelli used "GG" as her daily driver. Kelli was recently involved in a bad accident and walked away without only a scratch. We would strongly reccomend a 240.

Rocks and rolls. Great steering. Lots of protection.

Better seats (comfort for long drives).

Awesome
By Olaf

1993 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

The best all around car I have ever owned. It'll haul everything. It gets around 25mpg on the highway and will out turn the Toyotas, Hondas and VWs I've owned. If someone hits it, they'll be the ones getting towed away. Parts are cheaper that a lot of other cars. Be careful to find a mechanic that understands them. My Volvo has been fairly inexpensive to own. I love it. It's more like a family member than just a car.

It's as big as a house. The rear seats fold down flat and make cargo loading very easy. Dogs love it.

The map trays in the doors break very easily.

I'd Buy Another
By B_W

1993 Volvo 240 4dr Sedan

When I bought my '93 240 from a private party it needed brakes, muffler, tires, battery, some a/c work and a general tuneup (plugs, filters, etc., but no major engine or tranny work was required). Now I routinely get 24-26 mpg @ 70 mph, mostly hiway miles. The car feels strong, maintains whatever speed I dial in, handles without surprises, and while is not the most fun ride, will take me where I want to go comfortably & safely. Two plusses: driver's seat position is excellent for a short person, easy to work on. Downside: while parts are easy to get, they are somewhat pricier than similar parts for a domestic. If you require a dependable, comfortable daily driver, consider this older Volvo.