Used 1993 Volvo 240 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Volvo 240 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 240 model:

it's not car. it's family.
By EM

1993 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

First Volvo for me after looking at all sorts of used cars. I bought it on eBay-- I live in the rust belt, so there weren't many around me that weren't clean, even if they were lower on miles. I bought it from a guy that buys 240s, fixes them up and sells them, and I flew in to get it and turned around and drove it 6 hours home. It drives like a dream. It is FANTASTIC in the snow. I put sandbags in the rear and good snow tires on her and so far, she out handles our AWD vehicle. We've gotten a ton of snow, so that's saying a lot. i have owned used cars my whole life-- five of them, to be exact, and I LOVE this car.

@90 mph it hums along like it's going 30, & doesn't drive like a boat. Styling- the wagon gives me status w/the older neighborhood snobs. I love that if something goes wrong I can go to the Internet & there are tons of Volvo sites that will tell me exactly how to fix it.

Fuses/fuse box location. Replace all of your fuses as soon as you get your 240. Seriously. Of course, the missing cup holder. Power Windows- in general I dislike them... Not because something has gone with them but because I'm always afraid that something will.

Volvo 240
By jamonit

1993 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

Just recently picked up a 93 240 wagon. Had to do some work on it, but the previous owner installed new brakes and a Volvo remanufactured tranny, so I think I am set in terms of another 200k miles. Well built and has that classic styling that cannot be found elsewhere. Great car to tool around town in. Very easy to service with cheap parts. There definitely is a reason that you still see a lot of these 240's on the road today even after the last one sold more than 15 years ago.

Classic Styling Comfortable Seats Versatility, especially with the wagon Great Heater only for 1993, 143a AC unit is possible to service Easy and inexpensive to service in general Fairly decent gas mileage

A bit more power Better cooling with AC

A True Classic!
By Jim

1993 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

Bought in 2003 to replace 1991 Volvo 245, which was in a "head on", and my wife walked away with bruises only! Have owned this car for almost 5 years, and it has been very reliable and simple to work on. Getting a mechanic who has a long history working exclusively on Volvo is a must! It is not fast, but very very solid and safe. Great for a young family.

Reliability, low cost of ownership, great utility vehicle, best turning radius of any car ever made, built like a Sherman Tank

Does not have great power, rear gate wiring harnesses are poorly designed (replaced often), mapholders break very easily.

Saved my daughters life
By Bobbi

1993 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

My fiance bought this cutie for me as a "Mothership" to haul my daughters. I took several BMWCCA drivers training schools in her. We named her Greg's Gift and we really miss the security she provided. Our daughter Kelli used "GG" as her daily driver. Kelli was recently involved in a bad accident and walked away without only a scratch. We would strongly reccomend a 240.

Rocks and rolls. Great steering. Lots of protection.

Better seats (comfort for long drives).

Awesome
By Olaf

1993 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

The best all around car I have ever owned. It'll haul everything. It gets around 25mpg on the highway and will out turn the Toyotas, Hondas and VWs I've owned. If someone hits it, they'll be the ones getting towed away. Parts are cheaper that a lot of other cars. Be careful to find a mechanic that understands them. My Volvo has been fairly inexpensive to own. I love it. It's more like a family member than just a car.

It's as big as a house. The rear seats fold down flat and make cargo loading very easy. Dogs love it.

The map trays in the doors break very easily.

• SUV