Used 1993 Volvo 240 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Volvo 240 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (13 reviews )

1993 Volvo 240 Wagon Cherry Red 4 speed Auto
By cpscooter

1993 Volvo 240 Wagon 4dr Wagon

I spent years looking for a 1993 Volvo Wagon. Only year with Airbag, abs, R134a ac and basic volvo design. Acceleration is not great....always plan ahead but still adequate. Tons of space. Incredibly predictable handling which is even better with 15" wheels and ipd sway bars. No blind spots. My wife loves/hates it. I love it because it is safe, predictable, and relatively easy to work on. Odometer broken probably 150 k or so. The people i bought it from sold it because check engine light was on....Mass air flow code....sensor installed wrong...cleaned it and runs extremely smooth. Good basic car. Love the car....would love turbo or european cam to get better power

Solid handling, better with sway bars from ipd and virgo wheels. Can work on easily, parts cheap and usually readily available. NO blind spots. With my son in the back, i still feel safe as the cage seems designed for him in the middle. Always starts and if it wouldn't it is probably the fuel pump fuse. Still passed emissions with check engine light on. So predictable and cheap...Bought for 900 and will probably have my son drive it when he is 16 until he is comfortable.

Tailgate harness bad. Had a 76 240 and that was bad as well (you would have thought they addressed it by 93). Same cheap plastic interior but basic and functional. Bad resistor on fan motor (same deal as 76) Really! put european cam to up horsepower 2o or so would make huge difference. Sticks are better!

Love this car!!!
By bphilippi

1993 Volvo 240 Wagon 4dr Wagon

I bought my 240 DL wagon used in 1997. It had 22,000 miles on it and looked/drove like it was brand new. It now (2011) has 146,000 original miles on it and is going strong - I have no plans whatsoever to get another car any time soon. It is absolutely like a member of the family. Mine is automatic (only automatic I've ever owned) and is 761/1800 from the final classic series of the last run made of this model. Funny when I was shopping for cars, I actually found three wagons in the greater LA area from this same last edition...Can't say enough about it. It's not a performance vehicle, hence the three stars and comparing it to new luxury cars, it's not as comfortable, otherwise it's perfect!!

It is incredibly well made - has lots of attention to detail, is really solid and I like the fact that there are not many out there on the road anymore, so I feel like I have something special. I periodically (maybe one a year or every 18 months or so) receive offers from people who would like to buy it from me . It's not for sale. I have had the same Volvo mechanic take care of it for almost as long as I have had it, it is routinely serviced and very well cared for and I hope to be driving it for another 20 years!

None.

Stoic Swede
By Snow Camp NC David

1993 Volvo 240 Wagon 4dr Wagon

I've had this car for nearly 17 years. It now has almost 245,000 miles. VERY reliable drive train.VERY well made. I'm still very fond of this old soul. It's not perfect. I was never impressed with its stereo system (it now has a sony).Its heater is strong but the fan is noisy. The power window switch failed but my clever mechanic rewired it. This cost a mere $50.00 two years ago. It has always received regular servicing as all vehicles should...All in all very pleased!

Reliability,Safety, Styling Very roomy capacity and towing ability. a real truck.

The Swedes should take back the Volvo auto brand from Ford and remake the 240

it's not car. it's family.
By EM

1993 Volvo 240 Wagon 4dr Wagon

First Volvo for me after looking at all sorts of used cars. I bought it on eBay-- I live in the rust belt, so there weren't many around me that weren't clean, even if they were lower on miles. I bought it from a guy that buys 240s, fixes them up and sells them, and I flew in to get it and turned around and drove it 6 hours home. It drives like a dream. It is FANTASTIC in the snow. I put sandbags in the rear and good snow tires on her and so far, she out handles our AWD vehicle. We've gotten a ton of snow, so that's saying a lot. i have owned used cars my whole life-- five of them, to be exact, and I LOVE this car.

@90 mph it hums along like it's going 30, & doesn't drive like a boat. Styling- the wagon gives me status w/the older neighborhood snobs. I love that if something goes wrong I can go to the Internet & there are tons of Volvo sites that will tell me exactly how to fix it.

Fuses/fuse box location. Replace all of your fuses as soon as you get your 240. Seriously. Of course, the missing cup holder. Power Windows- in general I dislike them... Not because something has gone with them but because I'm always afraid that something will.

Volvo 240
By jamonit

1993 Volvo 240 Wagon 4dr Wagon

Just recently picked up a 93 240 wagon. Had to do some work on it, but the previous owner installed new brakes and a Volvo remanufactured tranny, so I think I am set in terms of another 200k miles. Well built and has that classic styling that cannot be found elsewhere. Great car to tool around town in. Very easy to service with cheap parts. There definitely is a reason that you still see a lot of these 240's on the road today even after the last one sold more than 15 years ago.

Classic Styling Comfortable Seats Versatility, especially with the wagon Great Heater only for 1993, 143a AC unit is possible to service Easy and inexpensive to service in general Fairly decent gas mileage

A bit more power Better cooling with AC