1993 Volvo 240 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 240 model:
1993 Volvo 240 Wagon Cherry Red 4 speed Auto
By cpscooter on 02/26/14 13:57 PM (PST)

1993 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

I spent years looking for a 1993 Volvo Wagon. Only year with Airbag, abs, R134a ac and basic volvo design. Acceleration is not great....always plan ahead but still adequate. Tons of space. Incredibly predictable handling which is even better with 15" wheels and ipd sway bars. No blind spots. My wife loves/hates it. I love it because it is safe, predictable, and relatively easy to work on. Odometer broken probably 150 k or so. The people i bought it from sold it because check engine light was on....Mass air flow code....sensor installed wrong...cleaned it and runs extremely smooth. Good basic car. Love the car....would love turbo or european cam to get better power

Love this car!!!
By bphilippi on 03/13/11 21:14 PM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

I bought my 240 DL wagon used in 1997. It had 22,000 miles on it and looked/drove like it was brand new. It now (2011) has 146,000 original miles on it and is going strong - I have no plans whatsoever to get another car any time soon. It is absolutely like a member of the family. Mine is automatic (only automatic I've ever owned) and is 761/1800 from the final classic series of the last run made of this model. Funny when I was shopping for cars, I actually found three wagons in the greater LA area from this same last edition...Can't say enough about it. It's not a performance vehicle, hence the three stars and comparing it to new luxury cars, it's not as comfortable, otherwise it's perfect!!

Stoic Swede
By Snow Camp NC David on 01/31/10 09:20 AM (PST)

1993 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

I've had this car for nearly 17 years. It now has almost 245,000 miles. VERY reliable drive train.VERY well made. I'm still very fond of this old soul. It's not perfect. I was never impressed with its stereo system (it now has a sony).Its heater is strong but the fan is noisy. The power window switch failed but my clever mechanic rewired it. This cost a mere $50.00 two years ago. It has always received regular servicing as all vehicles should...All in all very pleased!

it's not car. it's family.
By EM on 01/06/10 09:53 AM (PST)

1993 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

First Volvo for me after looking at all sorts of used cars. I bought it on eBay-- I live in the rust belt, so there weren't many around me that weren't clean, even if they were lower on miles. I bought it from a guy that buys 240s, fixes them up and sells them, and I flew in to get it and turned around and drove it 6 hours home. It drives like a dream. It is FANTASTIC in the snow. I put sandbags in the rear and good snow tires on her and so far, she out handles our AWD vehicle. We've gotten a ton of snow, so that's saying a lot. i have owned used cars my whole life-- five of them, to be exact, and I LOVE this car.

Volvo 240
By jamonit on 06/11/09 12:22 PM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

Just recently picked up a 93 240 wagon. Had to do some work on it, but the previous owner installed new brakes and a Volvo remanufactured tranny, so I think I am set in terms of another 200k miles. Well built and has that classic styling that cannot be found elsewhere. Great car to tool around town in. Very easy to service with cheap parts. There definitely is a reason that you still see a lot of these 240's on the road today even after the last one sold more than 15 years ago.

A True Classic!
By Jim on 12/12/07 10:13 AM (PST)

1993 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

Bought in 2003 to replace 1991 Volvo 245, which was in a "head on", and my wife walked away with bruises only! Have owned this car for almost 5 years, and it has been very reliable and simple to work on. Getting a mechanic who has a long history working exclusively on Volvo is a must! It is not fast, but very very solid and safe. Great for a young family.

Saved my daughters life
By Bobbi on 06/21/07 04:57 AM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

My fiance bought this cutie for me as a "Mothership" to haul my daughters. I took several BMWCCA drivers training schools in her. We named her Greg's Gift and we really miss the security she provided. Our daughter Kelli used "GG" as her daily driver. Kelli was recently involved in a bad accident and walked away without only a scratch. We would strongly reccomend a 240.

Awesome
By Olaf on 10/10/05 16:07 PM (PDT)

1993 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

The best all around car I have ever owned. It'll haul everything. It gets around 25mpg on the highway and will out turn the Toyotas, Hondas and VWs I've owned. If someone hits it, they'll be the ones getting towed away. Parts are cheaper that a lot of other cars. Be careful to find a mechanic that understands them. My Volvo has been fairly inexpensive to own. I love it. It's more like a family member than just a car.

Beloved Tank
By Pam C. on 12/27/04 16:29 PM (PST)

1993 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

Bought the car used a year ago. After an initial problem with the cat conv. the car has been a work horse and a pleasure to drive. I added the IPD bars and the car has an amazing turning radius for a big car. It hauls dogs and home depot trips in all weather with no complaints. Easily does 80 mph highway, 0-60 can take awhile from the 4 hard-working cyls.

Classic Volvo
By jsparham1 on 01/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

I bought this car on eBay out of a used car dealer in upstate NY and learned some lessons: Pin the seller down on particulars about the car's history, pay less than market if you cannot see the car, be extra wary when buying on line cars. Overall, it is a nice car, a real collector's car as it is a "Classic" 245 of a true limited production model. Wish I'd bought it in 1993!!