Used 1993 Volvo 240 Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Great old car!

1993 Volvo 240 Wagon Cherry Red 4 speed Auto
By cpscooter

1993 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

I spent years looking for a 1993 Volvo Wagon. Only year with Airbag, abs, R134a ac and basic volvo design. Acceleration is not great....always plan ahead but still adequate. Tons of space. Incredibly predictable handling which is even better with 15" wheels and ipd sway bars. No blind spots. My wife loves/hates it. I love it because it is safe, predictable, and relatively easy to work on. Odometer broken probably 150 k or so. The people i bought it from sold it because check engine light was on....Mass air flow code....sensor installed wrong...cleaned it and runs extremely smooth. Good basic car. Love the car....would love turbo or european cam to get better power

Solid handling, better with sway bars from ipd and virgo wheels. Can work on easily, parts cheap and usually readily available. NO blind spots. With my son in the back, i still feel safe as the cage seems designed for him in the middle. Always starts and if it wouldn't it is probably the fuel pump fuse. Still passed emissions with check engine light on. So predictable and cheap...Bought for 900 and will probably have my son drive it when he is 16 until he is comfortable.

Tailgate harness bad. Had a 76 240 and that was bad as well (you would have thought they addressed it by 93). Same cheap plastic interior but basic and functional. Bad resistor on fan motor (same deal as 76) Really! put european cam to up horsepower 2o or so would make huge difference. Sticks are better!

Love this car!!!
By bphilippi

1993 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

I bought my 240 DL wagon used in 1997. It had 22,000 miles on it and looked/drove like it was brand new. It now (2011) has 146,000 original miles on it and is going strong - I have no plans whatsoever to get another car any time soon. It is absolutely like a member of the family. Mine is automatic (only automatic I've ever owned) and is 761/1800 from the final classic series of the last run made of this model. Funny when I was shopping for cars, I actually found three wagons in the greater LA area from this same last edition...Can't say enough about it. It's not a performance vehicle, hence the three stars and comparing it to new luxury cars, it's not as comfortable, otherwise it's perfect!!

It is incredibly well made - has lots of attention to detail, is really solid and I like the fact that there are not many out there on the road anymore, so I feel like I have something special. I periodically (maybe one a year or every 18 months or so) receive offers from people who would like to buy it from me . It's not for sale. I have had the same Volvo mechanic take care of it for almost as long as I have had it, it is routinely serviced and very well cared for and I hope to be driving it for another 20 years!

None.

If you find one, no rust, buy it !!!!!!!
By jrg

1993 Volvo 240 4dr Sedan

I've had 4 BRICKS, '90-240-wagon, '99-XC, '04-XC and just last week a '93-240 Classic 4dr sdn. Total mileage to date 650K, yes six hundred and fifty thousand miles...You can't beat these cars not even with a big stick...all the woman in this family drive them and swear by them! Only problem is if your over 6'tall it's a struggle to get in and out of. beware RUST! No rust...undercoat and clean out drainage ports. Buy um while you can find them! That's a fact Jack!

As the deli guy said...it's just a nice car....you can goose it up as much as you want...it's just a nice car.

If some one knows how to expand the driver's leg room....share it sister/brother

Stoic Swede
By Snow Camp NC David

1993 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

I've had this car for nearly 17 years. It now has almost 245,000 miles. VERY reliable drive train.VERY well made. I'm still very fond of this old soul. It's not perfect. I was never impressed with its stereo system (it now has a sony).Its heater is strong but the fan is noisy. The power window switch failed but my clever mechanic rewired it. This cost a mere $50.00 two years ago. It has always received regular servicing as all vehicles should...All in all very pleased!

Reliability,Safety, Styling Very roomy capacity and towing ability. a real truck.

The Swedes should take back the Volvo auto brand from Ford and remake the 240