1992 Volvo 240 2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - The quintessential old Volvo

1992 Volvo 240 Sedan - Consumer Review

1992 Volvo 240 GL 4dr Sedan

The quintessential old Volvo
By Chriselicious on

1992 Volvo 240 GL 4dr Sedan

A Toyota Camry from this era is probably a more economical car to own, but the Volvo makes more of a statement and has it's certain little features that I can appreciate. A word to the wise if you plan on buying a Volvo from this era; make friends with your local Volvo mechanic, becuase a dealer will take you to the cleaners. Also, finding decent used parts for this car has been very easy as well; my local junkyard usually has a few Volvos like mine lying around. I have had two front end collisions with the car, as well as a break in, and I was able to find used parts at a fairly decent price for each incident. Mechanically, the car has never let me down through much use & abuse. Period.

Favorite Features

The heater is phenominal(but lacks in AC), ironclad styling & performance, smooth ride, very comfortable seats, straightforward ergonomics, and basic repairs/maintenance can be preformed by the shade tree mechanic. It's just your basic old-school Volvo(not the corrupt "Volvo Taurus" of today).

Suggested Improvements

Tailight assembly wasn't one of the most thought out designs on the car, the air conditioning has issues(as most Volvos of this era do), the high- beams can be accidently flashed when using turn signal, interior trim pieces composed of plastic can wear out under normal use & abuse of a car this age.