Used 1992 Volvo 240 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Volvo 240 - Consumer Reviews

1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Base 2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (5 reviews )

240 love
By WOW!!! 240

1992 Volvo 240 Wagon 4dr Wagon

wow! I am on my second 240. mine is a 1989, and is has over 330,000 miles on it so far with no problems. The only thing I had to change in 20 years was the altenator, and the starter and these were changed in september of 2009. however, the car has developed an oil leak which is from the oil pan casket,with the exception of the aforementioned,repairs everything is factory original,excluding belts,hoses, brake pads,ignition wires and spark plugs- even the brake calipers are original. I drive this car every day to and from work and each day I fall more in love with this vehicle.WOW!!!

Favorite Features

simplicity and function in it's design.

Suggested Improvements

well, I cant really suggest anything being that they dont make this car anymore., I will say that the simple task of swaping out a starter was made impossible for the weekend do it yourselfer because you must drop the part of the tranmission to change the darn thing. STUPID!!! STUPID!!!

Built to last
By Napo

1992 Volvo 240 Wagon 4dr Wagon

This car is still holding up after all these years. The exterior has no rust, even after spending 3 years on the coast in Maine. A phenomenal car ~ I wish they still made them like this. We call her "The Tank". She's never been known for her creature comforts, but my boys have learned to drive in her, and I've always known they'd be safe.

Favorite Features

Thefeeling of safety and security when one of my kids pulls out of the driveway.

Suggested Improvements

Too late for that now. They don't make anything like this anymore.

Most Reliable Car
By Volvo Convert

1992 Volvo 240 Wagon 4dr Wagon

My wife and I inherited this car from her parents two years ago. Her family drove it for almost 10 years before giving it to us and this thing will not die. I had never driven a Volvo before this one and her family mostly owned them for safety reasons but the odometer has stopped at 202,000 miles and the car just keeps trucking along. I have really fallen in love with this car and will be sad to see it go (which very well maybe never). After somewhere around 240,000 miles with little to no maintenance I am officially sold on Volvo. If you are thinking about buying this car I wholeheartedly recommend it. It has truly amazed me.

Favorite Features

An engine that never says never.

Suggested Improvements

No suggested improvements because it's old. You get what you get.

u should have seen the other guy....
By mysunnmoon

1992 Volvo 240 Wagon 4dr Wagon

my husband and two small children were hit by another vehicle at 30mph...we got off with seat belt injuries and bumps and bruises...they towed the other vehicle away, and we drove away with front end damage..this car saved their lives..i wouldnt want them in anything else...

Favorite Features

built like a sherman tank

Suggested Improvements

inside door panels awful

Takes a licking and keeps ticking
By inthemula

1992 Volvo 240 Wagon 4dr Wagon

Good old reliable car. Built like a tank. Plain dependable transportation. Has no creature features found in most newer cars.

Favorite Features

Solid engine. Keeps running like it was brand new.

Suggested Improvements

Door pockets keep breaking. Poor pickup. Componenets other than engine, power train, etc keep breaking and need to be replaced and are an annoyance. Missing cup holders.