Used 1992 Volvo 240 Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Volvo 240 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 240 model:

My odometer stopped over 20 years ago at 189,000!
By Peregrine D.

1992 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

My '88 DinoVolvo finally died a few weeks ago. First trouble it ever gave me. The reason this car hasn't been resurrected is because you wouldn't need to buy a new car for decades! The best car ever made, in my opinion, if maintained properly.

600,000 and still running strong
By dvonohlerking

1992 Volvo 240 GL 4dr Sedan

This car will not die on you if you take care of it....
well...
even if you dont it probably still wont die...

this car can go faster than you EVER need a car to go, and its fuel economy is amazing considering its a hunk of metal.( i get about 28 to the gallon)

Best part.
they sell for cheap!
lots of people who get them, sell them simpely because they have a flat tire, a fuse blows, spark plugs get old, or they get a newer car.

seriously changing your oil and occationally checking your fluids, is all this car seems to need.

Amazing protective shell, and effective overdrive. (mine got hit by a semi, and got a dent in the door.. door was replaced... good as new!.. as for the semi... front end crumpled, driver almost died, truck totaled.)

ive debated geting a better transmition, but hoonestly, this car doesn't need anything.

240 love
By WOW!!! 240

1992 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

wow! I am on my second 240. mine is a 1989, and is has over 330,000 miles on it so far with no problems. The only thing I had to change in 20 years was the altenator, and the starter and these were changed in september of 2009. however, the car has developed an oil leak which is from the oil pan casket,with the exception of the aforementioned,repairs everything is factory original,excluding belts,hoses, brake pads,ignition wires and spark plugs- even the brake calipers are original. I drive this car every day to and from work and each day I fall more in love with this vehicle.WOW!!!

simplicity and function in it's design.

well, I cant really suggest anything being that they dont make this car anymore., I will say that the simple task of swaping out a starter was made impossible for the weekend do it yourselfer because you must drop the part of the tranmission to change the darn thing. STUPID!!! STUPID!!!

Built to last
By Napo

1992 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

This car is still holding up after all these years. The exterior has no rust, even after spending 3 years on the coast in Maine. A phenomenal car ~ I wish they still made them like this. We call her "The Tank". She's never been known for her creature comforts, but my boys have learned to drive in her, and I've always known they'd be safe.

Thefeeling of safety and security when one of my kids pulls out of the driveway.

Too late for that now. They don't make anything like this anymore.

Most Reliable Car
By Volvo Convert

1992 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

My wife and I inherited this car from her parents two years ago. Her family drove it for almost 10 years before giving it to us and this thing will not die. I had never driven a Volvo before this one and her family mostly owned them for safety reasons but the odometer has stopped at 202,000 miles and the car just keeps trucking along. I have really fallen in love with this car and will be sad to see it go (which very well maybe never). After somewhere around 240,000 miles with little to no maintenance I am officially sold on Volvo. If you are thinking about buying this car I wholeheartedly recommend it. It has truly amazed me.

An engine that never says never.

No suggested improvements because it's old. You get what you get.