1992 Volvo 240 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Volvo 240 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 240 model:
600,000 and still running strong
By dvonohlerking on 09/21/12 12:10 PM (PDT)

1992 Volvo 240 GL 4dr Sedan

This car will not die on you if you take care of it.... well... even if you dont it probably still wont die... this car can go faster than you EVER need a car to go, and its fuel economy is amazing considering its a hunk of metal.( i get about 28 to the gallon) Best part. they sell for cheap! lots of people who get them, sell them simpely because they have a flat tire, a fuse blows, spark plugs get old, or they get a newer car. seriously changing your oil and occationally checking your fluids, is all this car seems to need.

240 love
By WOW!!! 240 on 02/13/10 01:33 AM (PST)

1992 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

wow! I am on my second 240. mine is a 1989, and is has over 330,000 miles on it so far with no problems. The only thing I had to change in 20 years was the altenator, and the starter and these were changed in september of 2009. however, the car has developed an oil leak which is from the oil pan casket,with the exception of the aforementioned,repairs everything is factory original,excluding belts,hoses, brake pads,ignition wires and spark plugs- even the brake calipers are original. I drive this car every day to and from work and each day I fall more in love with this vehicle.WOW!!!

Built to last
By Napo on 06/25/09 05:24 AM (PDT)

1992 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

This car is still holding up after all these years. The exterior has no rust, even after spending 3 years on the coast in Maine. A phenomenal car ~ I wish they still made them like this. We call her "The Tank". She's never been known for her creature comforts, but my boys have learned to drive in her, and I've always known they'd be safe.

Most Reliable Car
By Volvo Convert on 05/22/09 13:46 PM (PDT)

1992 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

My wife and I inherited this car from her parents two years ago. Her family drove it for almost 10 years before giving it to us and this thing will not die. I had never driven a Volvo before this one and her family mostly owned them for safety reasons but the odometer has stopped at 202,000 miles and the car just keeps trucking along. I have really fallen in love with this car and will be sad to see it go (which very well maybe never). After somewhere around 240,000 miles with little to no maintenance I am officially sold on Volvo. If you are thinking about buying this car I wholeheartedly recommend it. It has truly amazed me.

1992 Volvo 240
By Ashley on 06/04/07 10:02 AM (PDT)

1992 Volvo 240 GL 4dr Sedan

My boyfriend had one in his garage for about a year before I bought mine. Even though he didn't drive it, he refused to sell it to me because he was too attached. Now I have my own. It's a wonderful car. I love the boxy (but not too boxy like 740s) look. Runs great, comfortable. Always reliable.

Volvos Rule
By debs on 05/04/07 15:14 PM (PDT)

1992 Volvo 240 4dr Sedan

This car is absolutely a tank and a workhorse. I have driven the crap out of it and it just keeps going. In the 15 years my dad and I have owned it, we have only had to invest about $2000 in it, not including routine maintainence.

Classic Build ......one of the best made
By dasontop on 03/20/07 05:45 AM (PDT)

1992 Volvo 240 GL 4dr Sedan

i've owned 2 of these and think they were built great... reliable and if well taken care of will perform..... only thing i don't like is that the seats are boxy and no contour for the body....

The Swedish Washer/Dryer
By Mary on 05/15/06 14:32 PM (PDT)

1992 Volvo 240 GL 4dr Sedan

As mentioned earlier, find a good local mechanic to fix this car and stay away from the dealer or prepare to be taken to the cleaners! You may run into oil leak troubles with this model. Mine's been leaking slowly for five years and five different mechanics have been unable to fix it except for very short stretches. I paid $4K for this car when it had 70K original miles. Not a bad deal but I've put at least $5K into it over six years so it's affectionately known as the $9,000 washer/dryer. This car isn't cheap to fix but overall it's been reliable (no major repairs and it's going on 209K miles)! The single most expensive repair bill was $1,300 for various items around 150K miles.

10 years later, still love this old car.
By Matt on 03/04/06 22:35 PM (PST)

1992 Volvo 240 4dr Sedan

This is my second 240. I have driven the car over 100,000 (it has 177K 3/06) with only minimal problems (one bad fuse, an idling problem, warped rotors, broken door pockets, had to replace factory radio and speakers). We have an independent Volvo mechanic in Kingsport who keeps her on the road. This is not a fast car but it keeps up with traffic pretty well considering its weight and its 4cyl engine. This car is perfect for persons who want something safe to drive and enjoy driving something a little different. If you are knowledgable with auto repair, you'll find that the 240 is easy to maintain. The AC stinks and robs what little horsepower you have.

The quintessential old Volvo
By Chriselicious on 01/29/06 00:41 AM (PST)

1992 Volvo 240 GL 4dr Sedan

A Toyota Camry from this era is probably a more economical car to own, but the Volvo makes more of a statement and has it's certain little features that I can appreciate. A word to the wise if you plan on buying a Volvo from this era; make friends with your local Volvo mechanic, becuase a dealer will take you to the cleaners. Also, finding decent used parts for this car has been very easy as well; my local junkyard usually has a few Volvos like mine lying around. I have had two front end collisions with the car, as well as a break in, and I was able to find used parts at a fairly decent price for each incident. Mechanically, the car has never let me down through much use & abuse. Period.