So So Satisfied
By sappmama on
1991 Volvo 240 4dr Sedan
I live in LA and used to drive a '96 Toyota Tercel. Practical and reliable but not much protection from all the SUVs out here. Wanting a bigger car for a reasonable cost, I went back to the guys who sold me the Toyota and got the '91 Volvo 240 sedan. It's been a wonderful car to drive and fairly low- maintenance to own (had to straighten out some electrical issues after installing a CD player and replaced the clutch which was worn when I bought the car). I drove from Cali to Ohio in August and the trip was a joy. Smooth, comfortable, safe. No problems since, or resulting from, the drive. So it's not a great accelerator. That's not what these old Volvo's are known for anyway.
Favorite Features
Big, comfy seats. Great heat. Retro, stylish body. Uber-roomy trunk. Smooth hum of the engine that makes me feel I've got some action under the hood. Good gas mileage. Interior feels old fashioned and Euro (I know the Volvo is a Swede). Sunroof. Big ol' steering wheel.
Suggested Improvements
Electrical issues (I pushed in the cigarette lighter and the radio went out. Had to mess around with the fuses. This sort of thing is a bit too typical in older Volvos).