1991 Volvo 240 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 240 model:
I love these cars
By Martin on 02/14/09 14:50 PM (PST)

1991 Volvo 240 Wagon 4dr Wagon

This is the fourth 240 I've owned and the first wagon. I love the car. It's comfortable, safe, reliable and it drives well. I got this one from a doctor that owned since it was new and he had the engine replaced in June of 2008. The reason I bought it was because the engine he had put in came from another 240 and had only 31k miles on it (certified). When I picked it up he had put 8k on it, so it's a 1991 240 wagon with a 240 engine that has only 39k miles on it. I'll be driving it 20 years from now. I also have an all wheel drive 2002 Passat that I use when it snows heavily, but when I have a choice I choose to drive my 240.

It Doesn't Get Any Better Than This
By yelcamaro on 08/27/08 12:17 PM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 240 Wagon 4dr Wagon

Sure she's slow to speed up, but once she's at or above 55 she flies with the best of 'em. I have 250,000 miles on my '91 240 and will probably put another 250,000 on it. Never left me stranded, still getting 25 mpg and this old girl is holding up with the garbage streets of New York. The paint still shines like it just came out of the dealership. Added a hitch, will drag a trailer with no problems. I don't believe there has ever been a tank built to match the 240. Way to go Swedes!

Swedes' tank
By yeliwmots on 02/25/07 21:08 PM (PST)

1991 Volvo 240 Wagon 4dr Wagon

I love my wagon. Easiest car to work on. Plain and simple. I've driven it 300K miles and its still going strong. Yes, its not the fastest car on the road, but how many Ferraris have enough miles to encircle the earth over 15 times? None. How many Porsche's have 375K mile and are roomy enough to go camping in? none. For some one who wants a reliable car that has utilitarian attitude, the Volvo 240 wagon is THE car.

Swedish Ice Breaker
By Blue-Green on 11/08/05 20:45 PM (PST)

1991 Volvo 240 Wagon 4dr Wagon

Purchased the vehicle in Germany 14 years ago and actually picked it up at the factory in Gotheborg Sweden. This car has been to Berlin, Venice, London, and Paris with no problems. 140,000 miles later I had my first major problem. The Mass Air Flow Meter acted up and had the car running hard with a high idle. Replaced with new flow meter and it runs like a top. Expect another 100,000 miles out of her.

A very satisfying car
By clbolt on 09/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 240 Wagon 4dr Wagon

This is my second 240 wagon, having previously owned a 1987 with over 250k miles. I specifically looked for another, and haven't been disappointed. No, acceleration and handling aren't exciting. What the Volvo 240 does, and does very well, is get you there, every time. I have never felt as safe in any other vehicle in over 20 years of driving. An affordable modern classic, with more interior volume than many SUVs, rock-solid reliability, and 28 mpg on the highway. Who could realistically ask for more?