Used 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 240 model:

I love these cars
By Martin

1991 Volvo 240 Wagon 4dr Wagon

This is the fourth 240 I've owned and the first wagon. I love the car. It's comfortable, safe, reliable and it drives well. I got this one from a doctor that owned since it was new and he had the engine replaced in June of 2008. The reason I bought it was because the engine he had put in came from another 240 and had only 31k miles on it (certified). When I picked it up he had put 8k on it, so it's a 1991 240 wagon with a 240 engine that has only 39k miles on it. I'll be driving it 20 years from now. I also have an all wheel drive 2002 Passat that I use when it snows heavily, but when I have a choice I choose to drive my 240.

Heated seats, rear wiper, cargo space.

None. The best car ever made.

It Doesn't Get Any Better Than This
By yelcamaro

1991 Volvo 240 Wagon 4dr Wagon

Sure she's slow to speed up, but once she's at or above 55 she flies with the best of 'em. I have 250,000 miles on my '91 240 and will probably put another 250,000 on it. Never left me stranded, still getting 25 mpg and this old girl is holding up with the garbage streets of New York. The paint still shines like it just came out of the dealership. Added a hitch, will drag a trailer with no problems. I don't believe there has ever been a tank built to match the 240. Way to go Swedes!

Heated seats and ice cold AC

Driver's right side arm rest. Vehicle needs a cup holder.

Swedes' tank
By yeliwmots

1991 Volvo 240 Wagon 4dr Wagon

I love my wagon. Easiest car to work on. Plain and simple. I've driven it 300K miles and its still going strong. Yes, its not the fastest car on the road, but how many Ferraris have enough miles to encircle the earth over 15 times? None. How many Porsche's have 375K mile and are roomy enough to go camping in? none. For some one who wants a reliable car that has utilitarian attitude, the Volvo 240 wagon is THE car.

TIGHT turning radius; tight enough to turn around on a residential street without backing up. Reliability that is legendary. Easiest car I have ever worked on. Would be a great first car. Very comfortable.

Honestly the only things I would improve are technical things about the engine.(camshaft, belt driven fan, etc.) but those are easily changed. Same with the suspension. Volvo designed it to be comfortable, not sporty. Can be made sporty easily. Look for rust when buying on the east coast. Thanks Tom

Swedish Ice Breaker
By Blue-Green

1991 Volvo 240 Wagon 4dr Wagon

Purchased the vehicle in Germany 14 years ago and actually picked it up at the factory in Gotheborg Sweden. This car has been to Berlin, Venice, London, and Paris with no problems. 140,000 miles later I had my first major problem. The Mass Air Flow Meter acted up and had the car running hard with a high idle. Replaced with new flow meter and it runs like a top. Expect another 100,000 miles out of her.

Handles well in snow. Easy maintenance. You can actually change your own spark plugs in less than 15 minutes without ripping your knucles apart.

Due to its tank like features the 4 cylinder engine must work awfully hard going uphill.

Best Money I ever Spent
By VolvoGal

1991 Volvo 240 Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

This is the best buy I ever bought! This wagon has a great engine, great body, and is very reliable. I have a large sheepdog and he has plenty of room in the wagon area to sit, stand or lie down. I can haul things just as any other expensive SUV, the gas mileage is supurb @ 330 miles / full tank of gas (13gal). I have 140,000 miles and running!

Heated Seats! The second row folds completly down to extend the hauling capability!

Needs cup holders, I guess in the early 90's no one drank coffee on the go.