Used 1991 Volvo 240 Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Volvo 240 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (9 reviews )

Gat a Honda
By Scott

1991 Volvo 240 Sedan 4dr Sedan

My 1991 240 has 195,000 miles. It has reached the point where I wonder every day whether it will even start when I try to leave for work. Recently, it simply stopped running and left me stranded on a rural highway. I've used up all of my AAA tows for the year and it's only June! In the past month alone, I've spent over $1200 in major repairs, with more to come (that I know about.) I'm trying to survive on part-time work due to unemployment and I can't afford this car.

Power windows still work (today)

Since it hasn't been manufactured since 1993, this seems rather pointless

They don't make them like they used to !
By Jaime Obando

1991 Volvo 240 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've had 2 types of 240's a station wagon 87' and now a sedan 91'. The station wagon saved my life. . I was hit head on collission and all I had was a bruise on my knee and some back ache. I immediately bought another volvo but this time it's a sedan. I love the euro style.. Yes it's boxy but I would say euro-boxy which makes all the difference in design. It's rear wheel drive so you don't have to mess with axles and boots going bad. . and since the engine is not. I repeat not crossed from right to left. You have plenty of space to work on it.. I've replaced the starter once. I have done a tune up myself. . and it's got plenty of space to move around. Solid design, roomy, Reliable!!!

Good Looking, Gives me peace of mind, easy to work on; YES it's a Rear Wheel Drive!!; Good A/c COLD; Great Heater; Big Trunk; Big Doors. . GOOD Gas Milleage; GOOd Old Quality and Design, Above all Craftmanship and Ergonomic designs. E U R O P E A N Style. Plain Beautiful.. NO CHEAP cuts. .

SOME Plastic parts(interior) tend to crumble after some years. Rear suspension tends to sag or lowers down after some years of use and abuse. Please keep making rear wheel drive cars. They are plain better. Run Cooler and are easier to work on whithout braking your knuckles.

VolvoLover
By Danna Scully

1991 Volvo 240 Sedan 4dr Sedan

When I came to USA one of my questions was, what is the safest car in this country? and the only answer was Volvo! after 5 years and counting I still love my 240, took me from TX to NY,NY to Canada and back to TX with some minor repairs just like we all need, it has been an excellent car, strong body, it was great for driving in the snow and after 3 winters in snowy Canada the paint still immaculate, my big mistake putting a remote starter it killed my battery so I suggest to anyone do not do it, otherwise still running like a Swiss watch or should I say like a Volvo.

I love the square body,very clasy after 14 years I still love the look compared with newer cars,the seat warmers very handy in a -25oF weather, the moonroof perfect for cool evenings in TX, trunk space wonderful with the openning for your skies and of course gas mileage even better. Love it!

Bring it back! The way it was, plus new gadgets.

You Can't Kill It!
By Elaine

1991 Volvo 240 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this from a friend with 220,000 miles and have owned it for two years. It now has 230,000 miles and I expect it will go for 300,000. Except for a few routine repairs (spark plug wires, exhause pipe, new hoses) this car has been incredibly reliable. It is incredibly comfortable and safe. It doesn't have a lot of pick up, but nothing's perfect. Mileage is about 23 mpg, which isn't bad for a big, heavy, and safe car.

Interior comfort and safety

Needs a cup holder

So So Satisfied
By sappmama

1991 Volvo 240 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I live in LA and used to drive a '96 Toyota Tercel. Practical and reliable but not much protection from all the SUVs out here. Wanting a bigger car for a reasonable cost, I went back to the guys who sold me the Toyota and got the '91 Volvo 240 sedan. It's been a wonderful car to drive and fairly low- maintenance to own (had to straighten out some electrical issues after installing a CD player and replaced the clutch which was worn when I bought the car). I drove from Cali to Ohio in August and the trip was a joy. Smooth, comfortable, safe. No problems since, or resulting from, the drive. So it's not a great accelerator. That's not what these old Volvo's are known for anyway.

Big, comfy seats. Great heat. Retro, stylish body. Uber-roomy trunk. Smooth hum of the engine that makes me feel I've got some action under the hood. Good gas mileage. Interior feels old fashioned and Euro (I know the Volvo is a Swede). Sunroof. Big ol' steering wheel.

Electrical issues (I pushed in the cigarette lighter and the radio went out. Had to mess around with the fuses. This sort of thing is a bit too typical in older Volvos).