1991 Volvo 240 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (9 reviews )
Gat a Honda
By Scott on 06/28/09 04:46 AM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 240 Sedan 4dr Sedan

My 1991 240 has 195,000 miles. It has reached the point where I wonder every day whether it will even start when I try to leave for work. Recently, it simply stopped running and left me stranded on a rural highway. I've used up all of my AAA tows for the year and it's only June! In the past month alone, I've spent over $1200 in major repairs, with more to come (that I know about.) I'm trying to survive on part-time work due to unemployment and I can't afford this car.

They don't make them like they used to !
By Jaime Obando on 08/07/06 09:35 AM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 240 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've had 2 types of 240's a station wagon 87' and now a sedan 91'. The station wagon saved my life. . I was hit head on collission and all I had was a bruise on my knee and some back ache. I immediately bought another volvo but this time it's a sedan. I love the euro style.. Yes it's boxy but I would say euro-boxy which makes all the difference in design. It's rear wheel drive so you don't have to mess with axles and boots going bad. . and since the engine is not. I repeat not crossed from right to left. You have plenty of space to work on it.. I've replaced the starter once. I have done a tune up myself. . and it's got plenty of space to move around. Solid design, roomy, Reliable!!!

VolvoLover
By Danna Scully on 11/12/05 17:21 PM (PST)

1991 Volvo 240 Sedan 4dr Sedan

When I came to USA one of my questions was, what is the safest car in this country? and the only answer was Volvo! after 5 years and counting I still love my 240, took me from TX to NY,NY to Canada and back to TX with some minor repairs just like we all need, it has been an excellent car, strong body, it was great for driving in the snow and after 3 winters in snowy Canada the paint still immaculate, my big mistake putting a remote starter it killed my battery so I suggest to anyone do not do it, otherwise still running like a Swiss watch or should I say like a Volvo.

You Can't Kill It!
By Elaine on 02/11/05 16:34 PM (PST)

1991 Volvo 240 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this from a friend with 220,000 miles and have owned it for two years. It now has 230,000 miles and I expect it will go for 300,000. Except for a few routine repairs (spark plug wires, exhause pipe, new hoses) this car has been incredibly reliable. It is incredibly comfortable and safe. It doesn't have a lot of pick up, but nothing's perfect. Mileage is about 23 mpg, which isn't bad for a big, heavy, and safe car.

So So Satisfied
By sappmama on 10/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 240 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I live in LA and used to drive a '96 Toyota Tercel. Practical and reliable but not much protection from all the SUVs out here. Wanting a bigger car for a reasonable cost, I went back to the guys who sold me the Toyota and got the '91 Volvo 240 sedan. It's been a wonderful car to drive and fairly low- maintenance to own (had to straighten out some electrical issues after installing a CD player and replaced the clutch which was worn when I bought the car). I drove from Cali to Ohio in August and the trip was a joy. Smooth, comfortable, safe. No problems since, or resulting from, the drive. So it's not a great accelerator. That's not what these old Volvo's are known for anyway.

unhappiness
By surferbabeae on 05/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 240 Sedan 4dr Sedan

being a teenager and driving a volvo deff aint cool...especially b/c i go to a private school. firstly the motor is extremley noisy...so if you go through drive thru's often make sure you yell loudly. and the air conditioning makes the motor run so loudly that it sounds like its going to explode completley. excelleration is pitifull,and the interior design could use some serious work. But it does get great gas mileage. and its never left me on the side of the road.

Safe and Reliable!
By Jboy24VT on 03/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Volvo 240 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Very reliable auto. I average 23MPG, and I am hard on the throttle. Fun car to drive. Plenty of room. Best of all, I feel very safe driving 80MPH down the interstate. My car has drivin many cross country trips, and with 195K miles I still trust it to take me anywhere. It's not my first Volvo and it will not be my last.

Safe car
By szwetch on 04/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 240 Sedan 4dr Sedan

The Volvo 240 is not very peppy, but it is comfortable, and safe.

volvo for life
By Feedback on 01/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Volvo 240 Sedan 4dr Sedan

wonderful fun to car to drive. amazing turning radius and great style. just keep that routine maintanance up and she will take care of the rest.