Used 1991 Volvo 240 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 240 model:

I love these cars
By Martin

1991 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

This is the fourth 240 I've owned and the first wagon. I love the car. It's comfortable, safe, reliable and it drives well. I got this one from a doctor that owned since it was new and he had the engine replaced in June of 2008. The reason I bought it was because the engine he had put in came from another 240 and had only 31k miles on it (certified). When I picked it up he had put 8k on it, so it's a 1991 240 wagon with a 240 engine that has only 39k miles on it. I'll be driving it 20 years from now. I also have an all wheel drive 2002 Passat that I use when it snows heavily, but when I have a choice I choose to drive my 240.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, rear wiper, cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

None. The best car ever made.

It Doesn't Get Any Better Than This
By yelcamaro

1991 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

Sure she's slow to speed up, but once she's at or above 55 she flies with the best of 'em. I have 250,000 miles on my '91 240 and will probably put another 250,000 on it. Never left me stranded, still getting 25 mpg and this old girl is holding up with the garbage streets of New York. The paint still shines like it just came out of the dealership. Added a hitch, will drag a trailer with no problems. I don't believe there has ever been a tank built to match the 240. Way to go Swedes!

Favorite Features

Heated seats and ice cold AC

Suggested Improvements

Driver's right side arm rest. Vehicle needs a cup holder.

Swedes' tank
By yeliwmots

1991 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

I love my wagon. Easiest car to work on. Plain and simple. I've driven it 300K miles and its still going strong. Yes, its not the fastest car on the road, but how many Ferraris have enough miles to encircle the earth over 15 times? None. How many Porsche's have 375K mile and are roomy enough to go camping in? none. For some one who wants a reliable car that has utilitarian attitude, the Volvo 240 wagon is THE car.

Favorite Features

TIGHT turning radius; tight enough to turn around on a residential street without backing up. Reliability that is legendary. Easiest car I have ever worked on. Would be a great first car. Very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Honestly the only things I would improve are technical things about the engine.(camshaft, belt driven fan, etc.) but those are easily changed. Same with the suspension. Volvo designed it to be comfortable, not sporty. Can be made sporty easily. Look for rust when buying on the east coast. Thanks Tom

Swedish Ice Breaker
By Blue-Green

1991 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

Purchased the vehicle in Germany 14 years ago and actually picked it up at the factory in Gotheborg Sweden. This car has been to Berlin, Venice, London, and Paris with no problems. 140,000 miles later I had my first major problem. The Mass Air Flow Meter acted up and had the car running hard with a high idle. Replaced with new flow meter and it runs like a top. Expect another 100,000 miles out of her.

Favorite Features

Handles well in snow. Easy maintenance. You can actually change your own spark plugs in less than 15 minutes without ripping your knucles apart.

Suggested Improvements

Due to its tank like features the 4 cylinder engine must work awfully hard going uphill.

A very satisfying car
By clbolt

1991 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

This is my second 240 wagon, having previously owned a 1987 with over 250k miles. I specifically looked for another, and haven't been disappointed. No, acceleration and handling aren't exciting. What the Volvo 240 does, and does very well, is get you there, every time. I have never felt as safe in any other vehicle in over 20 years of driving. An affordable modern classic, with more interior volume than many SUVs, rock-solid reliability, and 28 mpg on the highway. Who could realistically ask for more?

Favorite Features

Huge interior volume with the rear seat folded down. Very small turning radius for a car this size. Parts (when needed) are plentiful and inexpensive through the aftermarket. A whole set of good tires cost $200 out the door. Seat heaters.

Suggested Improvements

Acceleration could be better, but I wouldn't trade it for the rock-solid Volvo reliability.