Used 1991 Volvo 240 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 240 model:

Gat a Honda
By Scott

1991 Volvo 240 4dr Sedan

My 1991 240 has 195,000 miles. It has reached the point where I wonder every day whether it will even start when I try to leave for work. Recently, it simply stopped running and left me stranded on a rural highway. I've used up all of my AAA tows for the year and it's only June! In the past month alone, I've spent over $1200 in major repairs, with more to come (that I know about.) I'm trying to survive on part-time work due to unemployment and I can't afford this car.

Power windows still work (today)

Since it hasn't been manufactured since 1993, this seems rather pointless

I love these cars
By Martin

1991 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

This is the fourth 240 I've owned and the first wagon. I love the car. It's comfortable, safe, reliable and it drives well. I got this one from a doctor that owned since it was new and he had the engine replaced in June of 2008. The reason I bought it was because the engine he had put in came from another 240 and had only 31k miles on it (certified). When I picked it up he had put 8k on it, so it's a 1991 240 wagon with a 240 engine that has only 39k miles on it. I'll be driving it 20 years from now. I also have an all wheel drive 2002 Passat that I use when it snows heavily, but when I have a choice I choose to drive my 240.

Heated seats, rear wiper, cargo space.

None. The best car ever made.

It Doesn't Get Any Better Than This
By yelcamaro

1991 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

Sure she's slow to speed up, but once she's at or above 55 she flies with the best of 'em. I have 250,000 miles on my '91 240 and will probably put another 250,000 on it. Never left me stranded, still getting 25 mpg and this old girl is holding up with the garbage streets of New York. The paint still shines like it just came out of the dealership. Added a hitch, will drag a trailer with no problems. I don't believe there has ever been a tank built to match the 240. Way to go Swedes!

Heated seats and ice cold AC

Driver's right side arm rest. Vehicle needs a cup holder.

Swedes' tank
By yeliwmots

1991 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

I love my wagon. Easiest car to work on. Plain and simple. I've driven it 300K miles and its still going strong. Yes, its not the fastest car on the road, but how many Ferraris have enough miles to encircle the earth over 15 times? None. How many Porsche's have 375K mile and are roomy enough to go camping in? none. For some one who wants a reliable car that has utilitarian attitude, the Volvo 240 wagon is THE car.

TIGHT turning radius; tight enough to turn around on a residential street without backing up. Reliability that is legendary. Easiest car I have ever worked on. Would be a great first car. Very comfortable.

Honestly the only things I would improve are technical things about the engine.(camshaft, belt driven fan, etc.) but those are easily changed. Same with the suspension. Volvo designed it to be comfortable, not sporty. Can be made sporty easily. Look for rust when buying on the east coast. Thanks Tom

They don't make them like they used to !
By Jaime Obando

1991 Volvo 240 4dr Sedan

I've had 2 types of 240's a station wagon 87' and now a sedan 91'. The station wagon saved my life. . I was hit head on collission and all I had was a bruise on my knee and some back ache. I immediately bought another volvo but this time it's a sedan. I love the euro style.. Yes it's boxy but I would say euro-boxy which makes all the difference in design. It's rear wheel drive so you don't have to mess with axles and boots going bad. . and since the engine is not. I repeat not crossed from right to left. You have plenty of space to work on it.. I've replaced the starter once. I have done a tune up myself. . and it's got plenty of space to move around. Solid design, roomy, Reliable!!!

Good Looking, Gives me peace of mind, easy to work on; YES it's a Rear Wheel Drive!!; Good A/c COLD; Great Heater; Big Trunk; Big Doors. . GOOD Gas Milleage; GOOd Old Quality and Design, Above all Craftmanship and Ergonomic designs. E U R O P E A N Style. Plain Beautiful.. NO CHEAP cuts. .

SOME Plastic parts(interior) tend to crumble after some years. Rear suspension tends to sag or lowers down after some years of use and abuse. Please keep making rear wheel drive cars. They are plain better. Run Cooler and are easier to work on whithout braking your knuckles.