1991 Volvo 240 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 240 model:
Gat a Honda
By Scott on 06/28/09 04:46 AM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 240 4dr Sedan

My 1991 240 has 195,000 miles. It has reached the point where I wonder every day whether it will even start when I try to leave for work. Recently, it simply stopped running and left me stranded on a rural highway. I've used up all of my AAA tows for the year and it's only June! In the past month alone, I've spent over $1200 in major repairs, with more to come (that I know about.) I'm trying to survive on part-time work due to unemployment and I can't afford this car.

I love these cars
By Martin on 02/14/09 14:50 PM (PST)

1991 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

This is the fourth 240 I've owned and the first wagon. I love the car. It's comfortable, safe, reliable and it drives well. I got this one from a doctor that owned since it was new and he had the engine replaced in June of 2008. The reason I bought it was because the engine he had put in came from another 240 and had only 31k miles on it (certified). When I picked it up he had put 8k on it, so it's a 1991 240 wagon with a 240 engine that has only 39k miles on it. I'll be driving it 20 years from now. I also have an all wheel drive 2002 Passat that I use when it snows heavily, but when I have a choice I choose to drive my 240.

It Doesn't Get Any Better Than This
By yelcamaro on 08/27/08 12:17 PM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

Sure she's slow to speed up, but once she's at or above 55 she flies with the best of 'em. I have 250,000 miles on my '91 240 and will probably put another 250,000 on it. Never left me stranded, still getting 25 mpg and this old girl is holding up with the garbage streets of New York. The paint still shines like it just came out of the dealership. Added a hitch, will drag a trailer with no problems. I don't believe there has ever been a tank built to match the 240. Way to go Swedes!

Swedes' tank
By yeliwmots on 02/25/07 21:08 PM (PST)

1991 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

I love my wagon. Easiest car to work on. Plain and simple. I've driven it 300K miles and its still going strong. Yes, its not the fastest car on the road, but how many Ferraris have enough miles to encircle the earth over 15 times? None. How many Porsche's have 375K mile and are roomy enough to go camping in? none. For some one who wants a reliable car that has utilitarian attitude, the Volvo 240 wagon is THE car.

They don't make them like they used to !
By Jaime Obando on 08/07/06 09:35 AM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 240 4dr Sedan

I've had 2 types of 240's a station wagon 87' and now a sedan 91'. The station wagon saved my life. . I was hit head on collission and all I had was a bruise on my knee and some back ache. I immediately bought another volvo but this time it's a sedan. I love the euro style.. Yes it's boxy but I would say euro-boxy which makes all the difference in design. It's rear wheel drive so you don't have to mess with axles and boots going bad. . and since the engine is not. I repeat not crossed from right to left. You have plenty of space to work on it.. I've replaced the starter once. I have done a tune up myself. . and it's got plenty of space to move around. Solid design, roomy, Reliable!!!

VolvoLover
By Danna Scully on 11/12/05 17:21 PM (PST)

1991 Volvo 240 4dr Sedan

When I came to USA one of my questions was, what is the safest car in this country? and the only answer was Volvo! after 5 years and counting I still love my 240, took me from TX to NY,NY to Canada and back to TX with some minor repairs just like we all need, it has been an excellent car, strong body, it was great for driving in the snow and after 3 winters in snowy Canada the paint still immaculate, my big mistake putting a remote starter it killed my battery so I suggest to anyone do not do it, otherwise still running like a Swiss watch or should I say like a Volvo.

Swedish Ice Breaker
By Blue-Green on 11/08/05 20:45 PM (PST)

1991 Volvo 240 4dr Wagon

Purchased the vehicle in Germany 14 years ago and actually picked it up at the factory in Gotheborg Sweden. This car has been to Berlin, Venice, London, and Paris with no problems. 140,000 miles later I had my first major problem. The Mass Air Flow Meter acted up and had the car running hard with a high idle. Replaced with new flow meter and it runs like a top. Expect another 100,000 miles out of her.

You Can't Kill It!
By Elaine on 02/11/05 16:34 PM (PST)

1991 Volvo 240 4dr Sedan

I bought this from a friend with 220,000 miles and have owned it for two years. It now has 230,000 miles and I expect it will go for 300,000. Except for a few routine repairs (spark plug wires, exhause pipe, new hoses) this car has been incredibly reliable. It is incredibly comfortable and safe. It doesn't have a lot of pick up, but nothing's perfect. Mileage is about 23 mpg, which isn't bad for a big, heavy, and safe car.

So So Satisfied
By sappmama on 10/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 240 4dr Sedan

I live in LA and used to drive a '96 Toyota Tercel. Practical and reliable but not much protection from all the SUVs out here. Wanting a bigger car for a reasonable cost, I went back to the guys who sold me the Toyota and got the '91 Volvo 240 sedan. It's been a wonderful car to drive and fairly low- maintenance to own (had to straighten out some electrical issues after installing a CD player and replaced the clutch which was worn when I bought the car). I drove from Cali to Ohio in August and the trip was a joy. Smooth, comfortable, safe. No problems since, or resulting from, the drive. So it's not a great accelerator. That's not what these old Volvo's are known for anyway.

Best Money I ever Spent
By VolvoGal on 09/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Volvo 240 SE 4dr Wagon

This is the best buy I ever bought! This wagon has a great engine, great body, and is very reliable. I have a large sheepdog and he has plenty of room in the wagon area to sit, stand or lie down. I can haul things just as any other expensive SUV, the gas mileage is supurb @ 330 miles / full tank of gas (13gal). I have 140,000 miles and running!