1990 Volvo 240 Consumer Review: My obtainable dream car.

1990 Volvo 240 - Consumer Review

DL Sedan (2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

My obtainable dream car.
By gooby1 on

1990 Volvo 240 DL 4dr Sedan

I've wanted a 240 since I was a kid, in the early 80's.. Since I began driving, I've owned Saab, BMW, Nissan, Daewoo (yeah, lol!) Audi, and Honda.. Only one of these were new, (the 'woo) and the rest were on the older end of things.. but certainly not 25 like my 1987 240! I recently purchased mine with about 150,000 miles.. it was well maintained and *everything* still works. I love the simplicity of the design, the fantastic ride, and great turning circle. The car may be slow, but it feels solid, competent, and surefooted. I'm looking forward to owning this for a while, and making a hobby out of it too :)

Favorite Features

Durability. Still looks pretty good after 25 years. Steering - Turning circle is tighter than a Cheerio. Design - Super thick, almost soviet styling. Interior - Rockin' the same dashboard since 1974! Simplicity - Crank windows!! Yes! Most things are easily repaired and replaced. Also impressed with the updated A/C - (R134a) Does pretty well in 100 degree PHX heat.. I can't expect much when it's 115 tho :) Visibility - It's like driving a greenhouse. It does make for a very hot interior, however.. Hip factor - Immeasurable. The Volvo 240 is becoming an iconic classic, and are rising in value and desirability.

Suggested Improvements

It would be nice if Volvo offered an honest, compact, solid RWD car.. Probably won't ever happen, but at least the 240 is infinitely durable! :)