Used 1990 Volvo 240 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 240 model:

Best car I ever owned
By dwags240

1990 Volvo 240 Wagon DL 4dr Wagon

I lucked out and had a family friend that sold me their 90 240 Wagon DL for a great deal. One owner, highway miles (now 306,000) and no dents or rust. I had to put some work into it as far as replacing oil filters, power window motor, etc but it runs like a champ. I get more compliments on this car then my partner who has a 2013 volvo c30R. It is a true classic and volvo did not slack when building and designing it. I use the midgrade/premium to keep her healthy and running good. I would recommend this car to anyone who is looking for a classic reliable car. Surprisingly with it being rear wheel drive it is a tank in the snow because of how heavy and I get everywhere I need too!!

Heated Seats, cargo space, smooth ride

Cupholders! They definitely didn't think of that with the volvos of this year. Also the interior "leather" cracks and wears easily in older age as well as center console etc.

proven faithful
By upret

1990 Volvo 240 Wagon DL 4dr Wagon

I bought my first 240 in 1998, a '93 manual 5 speed Wagon. Previously I had driven other cars and wagons including Funeral Coaches and Limos. The ride from the Volvo wagon was superior to those other long jobs! Incredible comfort and a joy to drive, even as a stick shift. I still love it and won't part with it because it is the best vehicle I have ever owned! Recently I bought an '89 Sedan on Ebay for $400.00! It still looks new! Same with the wagon, I really don't want to part with it. If you get a chance to buy one, do so! '88-93 are the best models. The reviews here are all TRUE! Why did Volvo stop? Who knows! The wagon still gives a better ride than the sedan in my opinion.

Love it!
By amomoftwo

1990 Volvo 240 Wagon DL 4dr Wagon

We just purchased this car last week, and we're loving it! We also have a 1988 wagon, and have owned it for 13 years (356,000 miles). There is nothing like a Volvo wagon, I have hauled 150 lbs of dog food, plants and flowers for the yard, a week's worth of groceries, and two kids, all in one trip. The maintenance costs have averaged about $50 per month. We have it checked every year, nothing major has ever gone wrong, just normal maintenance stuff. If you take care of it, it will take care of you. Turns on a dime, feels like a tank. Highway mileage is about 26 MPG. The 1990 version is almost identical, we're looking forward to a long and happy life with it!

Great field of vision, no squinchy little windows. Turns on a dime, parks easily despite its size. Huge trunk space for hauling. Comfortable ride, decent gas mileage, feels safe. If garage kept, the finish will still look great. Longevity!!!

Plastic in interior grows brittle with age, lots of cracks, center console is destroyed in both. Radio stinks. Electrical stuff gives out with age, the rear electrical harness is exensive to replace.

My Daughter is alive
By Bill

1990 Volvo 240 Wagon DL 4dr Wagon

In January of 1998 my daughter was driving home on RT 15. Coming down off Steam Vally MT. IN Trout Run, Pa..Weather was snowy and wet. She tried to pass tractor trailer,and when she started to pass the rear dules the right front tire blew, causing the car to be pulled under the trailer. The tractor pulled the trailer over the car and kept right on going. The trailer spit the car into the guard rails. My daughter had time to lay down across the front seat. She walked away from the accident.. The investigating Pa. State Trooper looked at my daughter and said if you had been anything but a Volvo you would be dead.. God Bless Volvo TR OUT RUN pa.

station wagon 'truck'
By datadave

1990 Volvo 240 Wagon 4dr Wagon

Long lasting! Mine's at 260000. I am a heavily-equiped carpenter and this car carries more than most trucks. I use Thule gutter-mounted removable racks that allow me to put just about anything on the top-- hundreds of pounds. And hundreds of pounds of tools inside and still get over 20 mpg. Bought a newer Econoline to give the Volvo a rest but regret that the big Ford even w/ a smaller than average V6 only gets 15 mpg with the same load. And the Volvo goes faster and looks nice. Expect some rust and small fix ups at this age. Still keeping it for personal use and longer trips.

Longevity and great looks and comfort. The Volvo 'turning circle' is smaller than just about any other car...will park easily.

plastic lenses on headlights need to be replaced or 'buffed' (try 3000 grit polish if you can find it). heater motor fails. Watch for rust.