1990 Volvo 240 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 240 model:
My obtainable dream car.
By gooby1 on 08/17/12 00:01 AM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 240 Sedan DL 4dr Sedan

I've wanted a 240 since I was a kid, in the early 80's.. Since I began driving, I've owned Saab, BMW, Nissan, Daewoo (yeah, lol!) Audi, and Honda.. Only one of these were new, (the 'woo) and the rest were on the older end of things.. but certainly not 25 like my 1987 240! I recently purchased mine with about 150,000 miles.. it was well maintained and *everything* still works. I love the simplicity of the design, the fantastic ride, and great turning circle. The car may be slow, but it feels solid, competent, and surefooted. I'm looking forward to owning this for a while, and making a hobby out of it too :)

1990 Volvo 240DL
By Kimberly on 07/30/10 15:25 PM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 240 Sedan DL 4dr Sedan

I didn't know anything about Volvos when I got my car, but I'm a convert. My Volvo is solid and reliable even though I'm terrible about tune-ups & oil changes (every few years). I grew up with Nissans and Toyotas and I thought bi-yearly break downs were a given. My Volvo has broken down only once after 7 years of smooth sailing. It was a sensor problem. I took it in for a full tune-up this time because I want it to last another 200,000 miles. My mechanic says it's possible. Do find yourself a mechanic who knows these cars. Volvos do not react well to aftermarket parts and there are some quirks which only an old pro will know.

Best car ever
By Mountainman on 02/04/10 10:06 AM (PST)

1990 Volvo 240 Sedan DL 4dr Sedan

This is one of those car models that should never have been discontinued. It's the best car I've ever owned (I've owned 23 cars). People who own these babies are really lucky. I purchased it at 90k miles, and it's still only at 132,000, so it will almost certainly outlive me. It's a minor item, but that 32-foot turning circle is a big plus. Overall I get about 25mpg in all kinds of driving. Repairs are expensive, but the purchase of any new car, even if I could afford one, would be a step down, so it's worth maintaining.

My 89 240DL
By MoonDudeX on 11/10/09 06:09 AM (PST)

1990 Volvo 240 Sedan DL 4dr Sedan

I would have never thought I'd be happy with a 20 year old car with 222K +. Believe it or not it's a fun car to drive. My roommate who has a 2006 Nissan Murano is always wanting to borrow my car. LOL! Mine has had 3 prior owners who must have pampered her. Except for the crack in the dashboard and slight fading on some of the plastic it looks brand new. Seriously. She runs great so far. I call her "Babe, The Blue Box". This has to be the best $1200 I've ever spent.

LOVE
By Starelly on 10/04/09 18:02 PM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 240 Sedan DL 4dr Sedan

This is my first car and I absolutely love it. It is extremely safe and i feel like i am driving a tank, in a good way. No parking space is off limit and no matter how bad i park i still fit in the space.

My Precious Volvo
By Maggie on 05/26/09 18:46 PM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 240 Sedan DL 4dr Sedan

My 240 DL is actually an 88 but that was not an option on the list. When I bought it at 300k I was highly concerned. I paid 400bucks and popped on a new headgasket. I was 18 and had no car experience, it was easy. This car was made to be worked on. It kept driving for months until the brutal winter where it needed a new coil and battery. I spent about 200bucks in parts. Making it a grand total of a 600dollar car. It has no dents, so very comfortably, and once you get it up to 40 or 50 - it speeds with ease. It has hardly ever let me down and most times it was my own fault for not double checking my very cheap, unbelievably awesome deal. My father loved my own volvo so much that he wanted it.

They Don't Make Them Like This Anymore
By IanCompetent on 05/02/09 16:10 PM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 240 Sedan DL 4dr Sedan

If you are looking to break the Land Speed Record - well...this is the wrong car for you. If you want a car of legendary quality, safety and reliability, then look no further. These may not be "sexy" qualities, but there's something to be said about a car that has an average lifespan of 16.2 years. Gas mileage (mine is 25/gallon in the city, 32 on the highway) is surprisingly good for the car's size and age. Great cornering makes them fun to drive. The chassis are huge and the engines are simple, making D.I.Y. maintenance easier than most vehicles. And I can't even begin to tell you how great it is to own a rear-wheel drive with a standard transmission in an Eastern Canadian winter.

1988 Volvo 240 DL
By Bajabongo on 04/12/09 01:21 AM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 240 Sedan DL 4dr Sedan

I've always loved Volvos, owned a 960, which was a great car, but it does not even compare to my 240 DL. The car is a tank. I feel very safe driving it around town and on the highway. The fuel economy is decent, although I did manage to get around 28 MPG when driving steady 55 MPH on the highway. The car is very simple to maintain and you will not get charged extra just because it is an import. I love the car's design, which really sets it apart from other vehicles. Because the car is so roomy, and has great visibility it has become an all time favorite of Hollywood (there is a bunch of movies in which the car is featured..Bridge to Tarabitha being one of them)..If you get a chance get one..

The old 240s rock!
By Ian on 01/10/09 12:15 PM (PST)

1990 Volvo 240 Sedan DL 4dr Sedan

If you want a car that is reliable, safe, has great low-end torque, a kicking turn radius and looks classy to boot, the the 240 is the car you are looking for.

What a reliable brick!
By My92Volvo on 10/07/08 02:23 AM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 240 Sedan DL 4dr Sedan

Unbelievable car. I've only had it for about a week, but I already love the car! It may be a bit on the slow side, but who cares when 10 years later down the road I'll still be putting in the same car with over 300,000 miles. Very solid car for being 18 years old, no squeaks, rattles, etc. Handles very well, and the interior is very classy.