1990 Volvo 240 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 240 model:
Best car I ever owned
By dwags240 on 01/16/14 13:36 PM (PST)

1990 Volvo 240 DL 4dr Wagon

I lucked out and had a family friend that sold me their 90 240 Wagon DL for a great deal. One owner, highway miles (now 306,000) and no dents or rust. I had to put some work into it as far as replacing oil filters, power window motor, etc but it runs like a champ. I get more compliments on this car then my partner who has a 2013 volvo c30R. It is a true classic and volvo did not slack when building and designing it. I use the midgrade/premium to keep her healthy and running good. I would recommend this car to anyone who is looking for a classic reliable car. Surprisingly with it being rear wheel drive it is a tank in the snow because of how heavy and I get everywhere I need too!!

proven faithful
By upret on 01/17/11 19:49 PM (PST)

1990 Volvo 240 DL 4dr Wagon

I bought my first 240 in 1998, a '93 manual 5 speed Wagon. Previously I had driven other cars and wagons including Funeral Coaches and Limos. The ride from the Volvo wagon was superior to those other long jobs! Incredible comfort and a joy to drive, even as a stick shift. I still love it and won't part with it because it is the best vehicle I have ever owned! Recently I bought an '89 Sedan on Ebay for $400.00! It still looks new! Same with the wagon, I really don't want to part with it. If you get a chance to buy one, do so! '88-93 are the best models. The reviews here are all TRUE! Why did Volvo stop? Who knows! The wagon still gives a better ride than the sedan in my opinion.

Love it!
By amomoftwo on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 240 DL 4dr Wagon

We just purchased this car last week, and we're loving it! We also have a 1988 wagon, and have owned it for 13 years (356,000 miles). There is nothing like a Volvo wagon, I have hauled 150 lbs of dog food, plants and flowers for the yard, a week's worth of groceries, and two kids, all in one trip. The maintenance costs have averaged about $50 per month. We have it checked every year, nothing major has ever gone wrong, just normal maintenance stuff. If you take care of it, it will take care of you. Turns on a dime, feels like a tank. Highway mileage is about 26 MPG. The 1990 version is almost identical, we're looking forward to a long and happy life with it!

My Daughter is alive
By Bill on 10/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 240 DL 4dr Wagon

In January of 1998 my daughter was driving home on RT 15. Coming down off Steam Vally MT. IN Trout Run, Pa..Weather was snowy and wet. She tried to pass tractor trailer,and when she started to pass the rear dules the right front tire blew, causing the car to be pulled under the trailer. The tractor pulled the trailer over the car and kept right on going. The trailer spit the car into the guard rails. My daughter had time to lay down across the front seat. She walked away from the accident.. The investigating Pa. State Trooper looked at my daughter and said if you had been anything but a Volvo you would be dead.. God Bless Volvo TR OUT RUN pa.

240
By Alicia R on 05/12/08 00:59 AM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 240 DL 4dr Wagon

This wagon has been in my family since I was a very young girl. When I turned 16, my mother passed it down to me and I have loved my Volvo ever since. It has taken not one, not two, but three cross country trips from texas. I have never had a single problem with her, other than issues caused from my lack of attention to her. A good way to ensure the A/C works great is to make sure the coolant is always full. My first year driving I spun her out of control and into a ditch. The result? Nothing but a dented license plate. I highly recommend a 240 DL wagon.

Amazing car
By jenmarc221 on 04/14/08 12:07 PM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 240 DL 4dr Wagon

I've been driving this car since 1995 and I love it. I feel so safe in it. I love the exterior/interior design, it is so unique from any other car. They definitely stand out. I like the simplicity of them too. The rear wheel drive is my only complaint for winter driving? however, I should put winter tires on not all season, that might help. Also, the speakers/tape deck tend to go on a lot of 240's. I love the power steering and how it handles. It is slow to accelerate but c'mon you are driving a Volvo, they are known to be heavy tanks, so I don't think its fair to complain about the acceleration of it. Want a faster car buy something smaller.

Great car
By zjz on 11/04/07 21:51 PM (PST)

1990 Volvo 240 DL 4dr Wagon

I purchased this wagon with 225k miles on the odometer to move from Iowa to Alaska in 2005. Did most of the work myself to prep the car for the trip, and made the trip, pulling a full trailer, without problem. Currently at 256k miles. Great in winter with good snow tires, huge hauling capacity, all right gas mileage with an automatic (thinking about swapping in a manual) 20-22 around town, 25-29 highway. As mentioned elsewhere, easy to work on, built to last, safe, handles well with turbo sway bars. Interior plastic getting fragile with age, but the car is moving in on being 20 years old. All things considered, a fantastic car.

we call her "ole reliable"
By karyn on 02/16/07 08:16 AM (PST)

1990 Volvo 240 DL 4dr Wagon

bought my '89 with 77K miles on it. replaced exhaust,(rusted),engine mounts and clutch-which went trying to teach my kid to drive-I love this car so much. easy to maintain, starts right up no matter what-even in Jersey winters, slow acceleration, but good on the highway.plenty of room for a big gal like me-looks great-paint still pretty shiny- interior could have used better quality plastics on doors and dash and my kingdom for a cupholder!!! all that said i can't see selling her-she should go another 200k easily, and cheap to insure, too!!-ps hate the radio and the heater is hard to regulate, also the gas pedal is too close to the center console, uncomfortable on long trips

Great, Reliable, Classic Car
By Teresa on 12/26/06 13:02 PM (PST)

1990 Volvo 240 DL 4dr Wagon

Just purchased my first Volvo--a classic, reliable, car with 160,000 miles on it, no rust, engine sounds fine, drove it from New York to Michigan and it performed great for me. Minor things need to be repaired-- electric windows, a few dashboard lights, the tape player. I'm very happy with this purchase. There is a Volvo dealer close by for repairs if and when it needs them.

best car ever
By sean on 02/13/06 22:28 PM (PST)

1990 Volvo 240 DL 4dr Wagon

this car is great, it is a tank and will go forever, i still have same engine tranny and everything from the start.