Used 1990 Volvo 240 DL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 240 model:

My obtainable dream car.
By gooby1

1990 Volvo 240 DL 4dr Sedan

I've wanted a 240 since I was a kid, in the early 80's.. Since I began driving, I've owned Saab, BMW, Nissan, Daewoo (yeah, lol!) Audi, and Honda.. Only one of these were new, (the 'woo) and the rest were on the older end of things.. but certainly not 25 like my 1987 240! I recently purchased mine with about 150,000 miles.. it was well maintained and *everything* still works. I love the simplicity of the design, the fantastic ride, and great turning circle. The car may be slow, but it feels solid, competent, and surefooted. I'm looking forward to owning this for a while, and making a hobby out of it too :)

Favorite Features

Durability. Still looks pretty good after 25 years. Steering - Turning circle is tighter than a Cheerio. Design - Super thick, almost soviet styling. Interior - Rockin' the same dashboard since 1974! Simplicity - Crank windows!! Yes! Most things are easily repaired and replaced. Also impressed with the updated A/C - (R134a) Does pretty well in 100 degree PHX heat.. I can't expect much when it's 115 tho :) Visibility - It's like driving a greenhouse. It does make for a very hot interior, however.. Hip factor - Immeasurable. The Volvo 240 is becoming an iconic classic, and are rising in value and desirability.

Suggested Improvements

It would be nice if Volvo offered an honest, compact, solid RWD car.. Probably won't ever happen, but at least the 240 is infinitely durable! :)

1990 Volvo 240DL
By Kimberly

1990 Volvo 240 DL 4dr Sedan

I didn't know anything about Volvos when I got my car, but I'm a convert. My Volvo is solid and reliable even though I'm terrible about tune-ups & oil changes (every few years). I grew up with Nissans and Toyotas and I thought bi-yearly break downs were a given. My Volvo has broken down only once after 7 years of smooth sailing. It was a sensor problem. I took it in for a full tune-up this time because I want it to last another 200,000 miles. My mechanic says it's possible. Do find yourself a mechanic who knows these cars. Volvos do not react well to aftermarket parts and there are some quirks which only an old pro will know.

Favorite Features

Turns on a dime, powerful heater, roomy- can get more home than my friend with her SUV, trunk pass-allows for lumber purchase (8 ft 2X4s fit with trunk latched & 12 ft 2X6 only sticks out 2 ft), safe & built like a tank, no blind spots, paint job has lasted over 20 years and shines up nice

Suggested Improvements

no cup holders unless you count the 1/8 inch deep circle indentation on the dashboard door when it's down, mileage is not as good as new cars

Best car ever
By Mountainman

1990 Volvo 240 DL 4dr Sedan

This is one of those car models that should never have been discontinued. It's the best car I've ever owned (I've owned 23 cars). People who own these babies are really lucky. I purchased it at 90k miles, and it's still only at 132,000, so it will almost certainly outlive me. It's a minor item, but that 32-foot turning circle is a big plus. Overall I get about 25mpg in all kinds of driving. Repairs are expensive, but the purchase of any new car, even if I could afford one, would be a step down, so it's worth maintaining.

Favorite Features

Low-end engine torque 32-foot turning circle Terrific fuel economy Comfort, good climate control Durable cloth upholstery Classic design (yeah, really!)

Suggested Improvements

Fixed sunroof should have a curtain for summer driving.

My 89 240DL
By MoonDudeX

1990 Volvo 240 DL 4dr Sedan

I would have never thought I'd be happy with a 20 year old car with 222K +. Believe it or not it's a fun car to drive. My roommate who has a 2006 Nissan Murano is always wanting to borrow my car. LOL! Mine has had 3 prior owners who must have pampered her. Except for the crack in the dashboard and slight fading on some of the plastic it looks brand new. Seriously. She runs great so far. I call her "Babe, The Blue Box". This has to be the best $1200 I've ever spent.

Favorite Features

Gotta love the heated seats. I like the placement of gauges and controls.

Suggested Improvements

A built in cupholder or two would have been nice. I bought the type that hang from the space between the window and the door but the seal is so tight there is no way to place it. LOL

LOVE
By Starelly

1990 Volvo 240 DL 4dr Sedan

This is my first car and I absolutely love it. It is extremely safe and i feel like i am driving a tank, in a good way. No parking space is off limit and no matter how bad i park i still fit in the space.

Favorite Features

I love it all especially the clock right next to the odometer.

Suggested Improvements

the only thing I would add is cup-holders.