1990 Volvo 240 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 240 model:
Best car I ever owned
By dwags240 on 01/16/14 13:36 PM (PST)

1990 Volvo 240 DL 4dr Wagon

I lucked out and had a family friend that sold me their 90 240 Wagon DL for a great deal. One owner, highway miles (now 306,000) and no dents or rust. I had to put some work into it as far as replacing oil filters, power window motor, etc but it runs like a champ. I get more compliments on this car then my partner who has a 2013 volvo c30R. It is a true classic and volvo did not slack when building and designing it. I use the midgrade/premium to keep her healthy and running good. I would recommend this car to anyone who is looking for a classic reliable car. Surprisingly with it being rear wheel drive it is a tank in the snow because of how heavy and I get everywhere I need too!!

My obtainable dream car.
By gooby1 on 08/17/12 00:01 AM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 240 DL 4dr Sedan

I've wanted a 240 since I was a kid, in the early 80's.. Since I began driving, I've owned Saab, BMW, Nissan, Daewoo (yeah, lol!) Audi, and Honda.. Only one of these were new, (the 'woo) and the rest were on the older end of things.. but certainly not 25 like my 1987 240! I recently purchased mine with about 150,000 miles.. it was well maintained and *everything* still works. I love the simplicity of the design, the fantastic ride, and great turning circle. The car may be slow, but it feels solid, competent, and surefooted. I'm looking forward to owning this for a while, and making a hobby out of it too :)

proven faithful
By upret on 01/17/11 19:49 PM (PST)

1990 Volvo 240 DL 4dr Wagon

I bought my first 240 in 1998, a '93 manual 5 speed Wagon. Previously I had driven other cars and wagons including Funeral Coaches and Limos. The ride from the Volvo wagon was superior to those other long jobs! Incredible comfort and a joy to drive, even as a stick shift. I still love it and won't part with it because it is the best vehicle I have ever owned! Recently I bought an '89 Sedan on Ebay for $400.00! It still looks new! Same with the wagon, I really don't want to part with it. If you get a chance to buy one, do so! '88-93 are the best models. The reviews here are all TRUE! Why did Volvo stop? Who knows! The wagon still gives a better ride than the sedan in my opinion.

Love it!
By amomoftwo on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 240 DL 4dr Wagon

We just purchased this car last week, and we're loving it! We also have a 1988 wagon, and have owned it for 13 years (356,000 miles). There is nothing like a Volvo wagon, I have hauled 150 lbs of dog food, plants and flowers for the yard, a week's worth of groceries, and two kids, all in one trip. The maintenance costs have averaged about $50 per month. We have it checked every year, nothing major has ever gone wrong, just normal maintenance stuff. If you take care of it, it will take care of you. Turns on a dime, feels like a tank. Highway mileage is about 26 MPG. The 1990 version is almost identical, we're looking forward to a long and happy life with it!

My Daughter is alive
By Bill on 10/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 240 DL 4dr Wagon

In January of 1998 my daughter was driving home on RT 15. Coming down off Steam Vally MT. IN Trout Run, Pa..Weather was snowy and wet. She tried to pass tractor trailer,and when she started to pass the rear dules the right front tire blew, causing the car to be pulled under the trailer. The tractor pulled the trailer over the car and kept right on going. The trailer spit the car into the guard rails. My daughter had time to lay down across the front seat. She walked away from the accident.. The investigating Pa. State Trooper looked at my daughter and said if you had been anything but a Volvo you would be dead.. God Bless Volvo TR OUT RUN pa.

1990 Volvo 240DL
By Kimberly on 07/30/10 15:25 PM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 240 DL 4dr Sedan

I didn't know anything about Volvos when I got my car, but I'm a convert. My Volvo is solid and reliable even though I'm terrible about tune-ups & oil changes (every few years). I grew up with Nissans and Toyotas and I thought bi-yearly break downs were a given. My Volvo has broken down only once after 7 years of smooth sailing. It was a sensor problem. I took it in for a full tune-up this time because I want it to last another 200,000 miles. My mechanic says it's possible. Do find yourself a mechanic who knows these cars. Volvos do not react well to aftermarket parts and there are some quirks which only an old pro will know.

Best car ever
By Mountainman on 02/04/10 10:06 AM (PST)

1990 Volvo 240 DL 4dr Sedan

This is one of those car models that should never have been discontinued. It's the best car I've ever owned (I've owned 23 cars). People who own these babies are really lucky. I purchased it at 90k miles, and it's still only at 132,000, so it will almost certainly outlive me. It's a minor item, but that 32-foot turning circle is a big plus. Overall I get about 25mpg in all kinds of driving. Repairs are expensive, but the purchase of any new car, even if I could afford one, would be a step down, so it's worth maintaining.

My 89 240DL
By MoonDudeX on 11/10/09 06:09 AM (PST)

1990 Volvo 240 DL 4dr Sedan

I would have never thought I'd be happy with a 20 year old car with 222K +. Believe it or not it's a fun car to drive. My roommate who has a 2006 Nissan Murano is always wanting to borrow my car. LOL! Mine has had 3 prior owners who must have pampered her. Except for the crack in the dashboard and slight fading on some of the plastic it looks brand new. Seriously. She runs great so far. I call her "Babe, The Blue Box". This has to be the best $1200 I've ever spent.

LOVE
By Starelly on 10/04/09 18:02 PM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 240 DL 4dr Sedan

This is my first car and I absolutely love it. It is extremely safe and i feel like i am driving a tank, in a good way. No parking space is off limit and no matter how bad i park i still fit in the space.

My Precious Volvo
By Maggie on 05/26/09 18:46 PM (PDT)

1990 Volvo 240 DL 4dr Sedan

My 240 DL is actually an 88 but that was not an option on the list. When I bought it at 300k I was highly concerned. I paid 400bucks and popped on a new headgasket. I was 18 and had no car experience, it was easy. This car was made to be worked on. It kept driving for months until the brutal winter where it needed a new coil and battery. I spent about 200bucks in parts. Making it a grand total of a 600dollar car. It has no dents, so very comfortably, and once you get it up to 40 or 50 - it speeds with ease. It has hardly ever let me down and most times it was my own fault for not double checking my very cheap, unbelievably awesome deal. My father loved my own volvo so much that he wanted it.

1 2 3 4 5 next »