Still a great SUV choice for those who tow.
By toolmanjohn on
2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)
Just around 8300 miles on my Touareg TDI, and I haven't had any real problems with the vehicle. It handles like a sedan, plenty of power, and the brakes are fantastic. Mileage is better than I was hoping. THe 20mpg city would have been great, but I get 22-23 mpg consistently with a 20 mile round trip commute each day. It's VERY quiet, and this may be because the transmission shifts around 2250rpm, so the diesel nevers really works hard. This past Summer it towed my small travel trailer like it wasn't there. Easily pulls on the highway and back roads.
Favorite Features
So far my favorite feature is the REST button during cold weather. Having the car warm after being in a store for 10-15 minutes is great. Hands free bluetooth works great, and the NAV system integrated with the large touchscreen display is also fantastic, way better than the Garmin and TomTom units I am used to.
Suggested Improvements
There are a few places that VW SHOULD change!! The seat is too long by about an inch, as it does touch the back of my calves at the knee. It is an annoyance, but I cannot grow taller to remedy the problem. ALSO the headrest is not adjustable forward/backward in the base model Sport !! Cheap. The Power seat has a MANUAL lumbar lever. Cheap. The audio quality stinks. This is either the speakers or their placement. The factory installed stereo in my mothers 2003 Corolla sounds better.