Mixed Bag
By cpmariner on
2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)
Overall, this excellent car is very comfortable (plenty of room for a 6' 4" man), amazingly powerful, highly maneuverable, great fuel economy, and really fun to drive. My wife fell in love with it, and her Lexus 350 GS is rapidly gathering dust in the garage. However, at 3,000 miles I'm beginning to worry about reliability. The first to go was the power seat memory -recently fixed. More serious, though, is an intermittent "roaring" noise from under the hood. To me, it seems to be the engine cooling fan running at 100% for no apparent reason. But the dealer's techies are sure that it's power steering-related and requires no "fix". Sounds like code for "we don't know" to me. We'll see.
Favorite Features
Torque! Takes off like a scalded cat. Very roomy, which is one reason I stopped looking at Asian models apparently designed for smaller folks. Very tight turning radius, especially great for parking lot maneuvering. Handles as well or better than my previous favorite, an Acura Legend Sport Coup, and that's saying something! Backup camera with its "where you're headed" tracking feature. Seat comfort provides lessened fatigue on long hauls. Fuel economy, of course. Exterior appearance a standout in class, especially in black. There are many other things I like about this vehicle, but all they want are "favorites", so I'll stop now.
Suggested Improvements
Consider making backup proximity alarms standard equipment. An owner's handbook written specifically for this model rather than the "one size fits all" version provided would be nice. Get to the bottom of the "roaring" sound I mentioned, which appears to be fairly common, but with no solution. Consider eliminating the enhanced braking power just after starting up... it's quite a jolt if you forget to be ready for it, and seems to have little or no purpose. Redesign the console storage! Those V-shaped compartments don't provide for anything in particular (e.g., CDs), and lead to a jumble as bad as a woman's purse.
By minghi
on 02/24/14 17:44 PM (PST)

I'm surprised that no one else commented on the "roaring" sound and the dealers were clueless. It is 100% normal and it means your turbocharger is doing its thing aka "DPF regen". the wiki on the website myturbodiesel has lots of good info on this.

By cpmariner
on 07/31/14 15:06 PM (PDT)

Thank you minghi! Now that you've given me the correct terminology, everyone suddenly "understands" that it is indeed normal for this vehicle. Many, many thanks!