2013 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:
Love the handling of this SUV - fun to drive
By hhs2000 on 02/15/13 20:44 PM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

This is my first diesel car. Boy, I love the torque. Didn't realize the modern diesel engine is so clean and quiet until I drove one. Fell in love with the diesel car. Had 1100 miles on it. With 70/30 hwy/local driving. I got avg 28 mgp. I test drove Audi Q5, MB ML350, GLK and VW Touareg. love the Q5 and Touareg. Sold on Touareg on room and power train and big fuel tank. I don't have to visit gas station as often. A full tank give me 700+ mile. I had to fill my Honda Pilot every 350 miles. I still own a 2007 Honda Pilot. Great reliable SUV. But in terms of driving experience. Honda can't compare with VW Touareg. Touareg is a Luxury SUV under a none-luxury badge. I like it.

Best SUV Diesel in North America that provides excellent gas mileage.
By flatbudget on 02/01/13 08:12 AM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Purchased my 2013 TDI LUX a week ago. Been very pleased with the truck. Traded both my 2005 F250 Powerstroke truck and my VW JSW TDI. The torque is phenomenal and it tows my 2005 Custom Laser Boat with 496 HO mercruiser stern drive. ~5000 lbs. boat and trailer combined. I love every feature this SUV offers. Towing my boat on Sport mode keeps the RPM in its maximum torque values. Again, another german engineering at its best. The mileage per gallon either towing or around town beats any gas engines out there. Reliability and longevity of a diesel is absolutely uncontested.

German Tank
By sammy12000 on 01/28/13 13:42 PM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel TDI Sport 4dr SUV AWD w/Navigation (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I have about 2500 miles on my TDI. The mpg rating is pretty accurate on this suv. I live in L.A. and i was able to drive round trip to Vegas and still had over a 1/4 tank of gas left! And no i was not driving like a granny to save gas, this was under normal-to-semi-aggresive driving. The car has a VERY quiet interior. This car feels very planted and solid thank to the all wheel drive. You cannot tell this car is a diesel as it is very quiet although when you punch the gas the diesel makes an awesome aggresive note. The power steering is a little stiff but has an impressive turning radius. The steering wheel does have the typical vibration known to VW's.

A Very Capable & Comfortable SUV
By jabteb on 01/26/13 05:10 AM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

This is a very capable and comfortable SUV. TDI provides loads for power for effortless acceleration and cruising. On the road, it has great manners with precision steering and a nice road feel. In the snow and gunk 4 Motion provides super secruity. The 8 speed transmission is extremely smooth and when coupled with the TDI accelerates quickly to expressway cruising speeds. The ride is smooth and quiet with little cabin noise. Leather seating is fits the body like a glove. I only have 1500 miles on it but mileage is around 26 MPG real world with about 2/3 highway and 1/3 town. I've already seen the advertised 29 MPG on the highway and it isn't even broke in yet.

100% love it
By drivinitsoftly on 01/03/13 16:57 PM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

this car is a wonder to drive. it has tons of pickup for its size, and a luxurious feel. the brown leather is top notch. the sound system requires some updating, but the 25+mpg driving for me has been a savings vs my cross tour. I am happy every time I drive it.

Lots of Car for the Money
By tx_reg on 12/12/12 07:26 AM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel TDI Executive 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I'm not gonna lie...$60,000 is not a cheap car by any means. However, when you stack it up against its competitors such as the BMW x5, Mercedes ML, Range Rover Sport, etc. it turns out that the Touareg has value on its side. Each of those can easily cost $10,000+ more that than the Touareg. I have owned several Acuras, BMWs and Lexus models over the years and this feels like a more solid car than any of them. Everyone that has ridden with me since I bought it comments on how heavy, solid and substantial that it feels. That said, it is still pretty nimble for an SUV of its size and weight. It is a little bumpy around town (but hey, it's an SUV) but it's like a dream on the highway.

2013 Touareg TDI
By cambino123 on 10/09/12 10:45 AM (PDT)

I purchased the Treg TDI 2 weeks ago. I was looking for a high performance machine (240HP 406lb torque) that returns high MPG. I just returned from a 400 Mile road trip and still have more than half a tank to empty. The engine makes a brilliant rumble and the turbo sounds so nice at low speeds. I have the saddle brown leather which is like a baseball glove. The dashboard wood grain is so luxurious and classy, it makes my previous Lexus GS seem like a toy. This car is very well built and the construction is solid. It stands out on the road in a sea of RX350's. This is truly a dreamy SUV. Looking forward to reviewing it again 1 year from now.

I like it better than my ML350 and Q5
By tvevans1 on 09/24/12 16:55 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I have about 2000 miles on the vehicle and I am very pleased to date. I hope writing this review doesn't change things! I have owned numerous Audi's (A6 and Q5) and still have two Mercedes (M Class and E Class) but this is my favorite vehicle so far. Probably because it's my first diesel and I am averaging over 30mph with 70% non-highway and 30% highway driving. The power is awesome and the engine is very smooth. It is unbelievably quiet inside, no road or wind noise. It drives more like a SUV than a crossover but still has a car feel. Steering is very tight, turning radius excellent, handling outstanding. The brakes are good but have a little spongy feel. Not sure on reliability.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel in VA is:

$114 per month*