Used 2013 Volkswagen Touareg SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

2013 Volkswagen Touareg SUV

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Exceptional SUV that won't let you down
By touareg13

2013 Volkswagen Touareg SUV VR6 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I don't like SUV's or "crossovers." They're slow, handle poorly and are simply boring to drive. This was my mindset until my wife's A4 broke down for the last time and the dealer gave us a Touareg loaner. I hadn't been familiar with the latest Touareg, but I was impressed immediately so we bought one. It looks great and is highly capable off road and in bad weather. We take ours for long roads trips around New England and its proven to be comfortable in Vermont blizzards, Maine logging roads and long stretches of interstate. Some may scoff at the high price for a VW but the fit and finish of the car is on par with any high end German car. Its a solid vehicle that's up for adventure.

Favorite Features

-powerful V6 with a nice grumbly exhaust -massive 29 gallon tank is great for long distance driving -very ,very capable off road and in bad weather with the correct tires -handsome, beautiful interior. -built in air compressor -comfortable and quiet ride -hyrdraulic steering and sport suspension actually make it fun to drive. -great 8 speed transmission

Suggested Improvements

-for the $44k base model we choose we would've liked to see a few more standard features like a sunroof and/or sat-nav -the last generation Touareg and some great features like locking differentials and adjustable suspension. It would be great to see these in an "off road" package from VW.

NICE CAR, BUT GET A RAIN COAT
By michael_a1

2013 Volkswagen Touareg SUV VR6 Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Volkswagen just settled a class action lawsuit because many of their vehicles with factory sunroofs leaks in earlier production cars. Apparently they still have not fixed the problem with the touareg. I have been to the dealer for the problem to get repaired and they claimed it was fixed and it was not. Off to the dealer again. Wouldn't it be better if they just corrected the issue. Anyway, it is a nice car, but I certainly don't think it is worth the problems. I would certainly look at other cars in its class unless you want to bunk out at the service department the first year you own the car.

Favorite Features

Nice looking, safe and handles well.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the leaks in your cars, and maybe you would get return customers.

Steering wheel shake
By shakes1

2013 Volkswagen Touareg SUV VR6 Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I purchased a slightly used 2013 VW Touareg VR6 LUX approx. 4 weeks ago. Upon driving home from the dealer I noticed that between the speeds of 60 and 75 mph the steering wheel would shake back and forth. This was confirmed over many miles and all types of road surfaces. The car would also pull to the right as well as exhibit a vibration in the seat. The car has now spent 3 weeks at the dealer and after approx. 20 tires and countless road force balancing the issue still exists. VW, in an apparent attempt to limit their liability, is blaming the tires. They now refuse to attempt any more repairs and have told me to pick the car up. They acknowledge the issue to still to be present.

Favorite Features

Styling and comfort

Suggested Improvements

Come clean with the owners who are experiencing the steering wheel shake. Stop trying to band aid with tires and hope they go away until their warranties run out. Man up and fix the problem or if unable to repair then do the right thing and refund or replace.

Love my Tourareg Executive!
By vwbmwmbguy60

2013 Volkswagen Touareg SUV VR6 Executive 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

This is my 2nd Tourareg, my first was a 2007. I bought the overloaded Executive V6 White/Cornsilk. I love all the enhancements they have made since 07. The build quality is exceptional and I have actually used most of the gadgets it comes with. It has a nice sporty look, 20" tires and it gives you great confidence while you drive, I feel safe and sound and in great comfort at all times. It feels like a completely different vehicle from my 07, much more refined and diginified. I just came out of a 2012 BMW X5 Diesel which I loved (this is my 60th car). I also have a 13 MB C63 Coupe and 13- BMW Z4 2.8 and I find myself driving this car as my daily driver. Huge bang for the buck! $$

Favorite Features

I love the cushy, comfortable leather seating and the heated front, rear and heated steering wheel! Dynaudio is awesome but truthfully the Fender in the Bug Convertible is much better. Nav is user friendly as well as all of the other touch screen toys. People have a hard time believing its a VW (albeit a 58K VW) but still almost 20K less than my X5 I just traded. It has classic good looks and drives very well, can't wait to try it in the snow! Cruises through heavy rains with ease and stability. Love the panoramic sunroof, a huge improvement!

Suggested Improvements

They touted better gas mileage than previous models, it has a 26.5 gallon tank and costs about $80-100.00 to fill it up with premium. (ouch) I filled up today and averaged 11.2 MPG combined, granted most of this is intown Atlanta driving. Will be curious to see how it does on a long trip, its doubtful it will ever hit the 23 MPG posted, but I am an ambitious driver, I think 17 HWY is more realistic unfortunately. My 07 got about the same with a smaller engine, this is truly my only big disappointment in the vehicle, I love it otherwise. The TDI would do better with MPG, but diesel is so expensive and a pain to find, its not worth the few more MPGs.

VW should be selling more of these ...
By early74b

2013 Volkswagen Touareg SUV VR6 Sport 4dr SUV AWD w/Navigation (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Getting this Touareg was a big step up from the '09 VW Routan SEL that I traded in for it as I no longer needed the 3rd row but wanted something a bit more luxurious, etc. and this SUV fits the bill! Very solid build quality, exceptional navi/voice controls, upscale digital info screens (both between the front gauges and main screen) and VW's leatherette 'feels' and acts just like real leather although perforated to be cool during summer. Tons of room in rear seats (slide back 6" for more leg room) and ride, power, smooth 8-speed trans all excellent. Executive class cruiser! Test drive other mid-size SUV's and then drive one of these and you'll see the difference --

Favorite Features

seat comfort, front & rear, power train smoothness, navi/backup camera & integrated voice commands, exceptional digital displays, feels much more expensive than it is when compared to other much higher priced 'luxury' mid-size SUV's -- decent economy with 8-speed trans; has a few nice extras -- glove box A/C vent to cool it during summer to keep drinks cold, 'leatherette' seats fool almost anyone who sits on them but easier to keep clean, the fact that this is the same body as the much more expensive Porsche Cayenne

Suggested Improvements

offer Dynaudio stereo upgrade (from Executive series) as a separate option as they do in Europe. Bring back some additional color choices -- although the night blue metallic / cornsilk beige interior I ended up with is quite nice and distinctive.