Used 2013 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

2013 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

2014 TDI R-Line
By mkcoach1

2013 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I bought my 2014 Touareg R-Line in November and have driven it 3,600 miles of mixed highway and city driving. It is a great vehicle and has exceeded my expectations. The interior is very similar to my 2010 Porsche Cayenne that I drove for 3 years and very close to my wife's 2012 Audi Q7 S-Line. I am getting 26 miles to the gallon combined and the R-Line sport suspension is great fun to drive. Very comfortable seating for an old athlete that is 6'5" and it has very easy controls for navigation etc.

Favorite Features

R-Line sporty suspension.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Best Diesel SUV for the money
By pops24

2013 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel TDI Executive 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I bought the 2013 VW Tuareg TDI. I am a car adjuster and I know the automotive field very well. The TDI is by far the best diesel SUV for the money. Has probably one of the best overall quality interiors and the driving performance is out of this world for a 6 cylinder and has a very quiet diesel engine. zzzzz The 2013 VW Tuareg is the best kept secret... till my review.

Favorite Features

The interior is the best in is class and Im comparing with SUVs over $60K. BMW or Mercedes are far behind even Land rover interior lacks design vs the Tuareg. Compare all the options you really need and you see for your self. The navigation screen is exceptional big and 3D. The power of the engine makes you feel that you are driving a sports car. Handling is awesome. The panoramic roof is a must see. Rear camera just to the point. Cargo area friendly.

Suggested Improvements

More standard futures such as luggage rack cross rails and trailing package. Estimated to add both over $1500. More sporty front end. Looks like an underdog till you drive it.

Exceeded Expectations
By johndb59

Traded in my '11 Cayenne S. I would say the VW is 90% of the Porsche for about 60% of the price. Actually, I like the slightly simpler interior and the easier ingress/egress from the seats. Feels substantial and drives really well. Quality seems very high. Nice car to fly around without attracting a lot of attention. Excellent fuel economy and you truly can't tell its a diesel.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, dashboard layout, quietness and comfortable seats.

Suggested Improvements

Haven't had it long enough to notice any shortcomings. Rear visibility is a little poor because of the rear seat headrests, but, superior to the Cayenne in this regard,

2014 Touareg TDI Exec.
By tappedout1

3000 miles in thirty days. Meets or exceeds expectations. Mixed highway and city driving nets 26mpg. Only trip of 1000 miles got 29 mph but highway speeds were 75mph plus. Compared to Porsche Cayenne diesel, no different except $25k less!

Favorite Features

Tech package, comfort and convenience. Great performance.

Suggested Improvements

Availability of more aftermarket accessories.

Mixed Bag
By cpmariner

2013 Volkswagen Touareg Diesel TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Overall, this excellent car is very comfortable (plenty of room for a 6' 4" man), amazingly powerful, highly maneuverable, great fuel economy, and really fun to drive. My wife fell in love with it, and her Lexus 350 GS is rapidly gathering dust in the garage. However, at 3,000 miles I'm beginning to worry about reliability. The first to go was the power seat memory -recently fixed. More serious, though, is an intermittent "roaring" noise from under the hood. To me, it seems to be the engine cooling fan running at 100% for no apparent reason. But the dealer's techies are sure that it's power steering-related and requires no "fix". Sounds like code for "we don't know" to me. We'll see.

Favorite Features

Torque! Takes off like a scalded cat. Very roomy, which is one reason I stopped looking at Asian models apparently designed for smaller folks. Very tight turning radius, especially great for parking lot maneuvering. Handles as well or better than my previous favorite, an Acura Legend Sport Coup, and that's saying something! Backup camera with its "where you're headed" tracking feature. Seat comfort provides lessened fatigue on long hauls. Fuel economy, of course. Exterior appearance a standout in class, especially in black. There are many other things I like about this vehicle, but all they want are "favorites", so I'll stop now.

Suggested Improvements

Consider making backup proximity alarms standard equipment. An owner's handbook written specifically for this model rather than the "one size fits all" version provided would be nice. Get to the bottom of the "roaring" sound I mentioned, which appears to be fairly common, but with no solution. Consider eliminating the enhanced braking power just after starting up... it's quite a jolt if you forget to be ready for it, and seems to have little or no purpose. Redesign the console storage! Those V-shaped compartments don't provide for anything in particular (e.g., CDs), and lead to a jumble as bad as a woman's purse.